Home
Posted By: mag410 Turkey sighting - 11/22/20
Opening day of the Mississippi deer season, 73° to warm to hunt. I was down at my lake feeding the bluegills this afternoon and saw a pair of turkeys fly across the upper end. It is a finger lake and is about 100 yards wide at the point they crossed. I don't think I ever saw a turkey fly from a side-perspective before, they looked like big pheasants. They glided the last half of the trip.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Turkey sighting - 11/22/20
I've killed flying turkeys before. Focus on the head, lead it like a dove or similar size bird. They'll fold right up.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Turkey sighting - 11/22/20
On the land I used to hunt, a neighbor kid killed one on the wing with his .22. Doubtless he was as surprised as the turkey.

I suspect many of us are so used to the idea of taking off their heads that shooting at a flushed one might not occur to us.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Turkey sighting - 11/23/20
I think in general it's probably a bad idea. But a long time ago as a young and dumb turkey hunter I didn't know any better.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Turkey sighting - 12/24/20
I saw a hawk either catch, or try to catch a wild turkey chick. The mama hen flew after the hawk, in an attempt to drive it away. That hen went straight up in the air, I'm guessing well over a 100 feet. I've seen them take off flying, then glide for some fairly long distances, but never saw one fly that fast straight up.
© 24hourcampfire