Home
Posted By: shaman The Fake Stump - 03/06/21
It's done!

I finished the Fake Stump out at the Honey Hole.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

More pics and the full story here:
The Fake Stump
Posted By: longarm Re: The Fake Stump - 03/06/21
laugh
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: The Fake Stump - 03/07/21
What’s the name of that camo you’re wearing?
Posted By: shaman Re: The Fake Stump - 03/07/21
That is Early Pre-Season Shamanic 6D. I wanted something that would contrast well. You wouldn't have known what you were looking at if I'd worn my good camping duds. Here is my Opening Day arrayment:

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 3373.jpg
Posted By: humdinger Re: The Fake Stump - 03/07/21
ANd here I thought that seen from the rambo movie where hes hiding in the mud wall was stealthy!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: The Fake Stump - 03/07/21
Looks like a man that means bidness!
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: The Fake Stump - 03/07/21

Originally Posted by shaman
That is Early Pre-Season Shamanic 6D. I wanted something that would contrast well. You wouldn't have known what you were looking at if I'd worn my good camping duds. Here is my Opening Day arrayment:

[Linked Image]

Birnam forest moving.
Posted By: Lslite Re: The Fake Stump - 03/07/21
Great idea,I've been leaning against a little skinny tree for awhile at my honey hole.Not doing that anymore smile
Posted By: shaman Re: The Fake Stump - 04/28/21
I spent several days this season with my back to the board. I had a missed shot on The Opener. A gobbler came up on my 9 O'Clock and I could not shift properly to get the job done. Earlier, I witnessed a gob (the one I'm talking about in the Galloping Gobbler thread) walk right past the board, not paying it any mind. My guess is that turkeys do not take any particular mind to it. It's just a part of the scenery.

It is not without its problems. The old tree trunk that this fake stump replaces was round-- bigger than an oil drum at the base. When I turned, I was turning my back on a round surface. Part of the problem with the gobbler I missed on The Opener was getting jammed up against the board. I'm not going to blame the missed shot on the board. The problem was paying too much attention to the gob in front of me and not watching my back door. The flat board needed me to scoot my but away from it. Sit down next to a wall and try to turn, and you'll see what I mean.

Overall, I'd say the fake stump was a success. I'll keep it up for next season.
Posted By: Guthry Re: The Fake Stump - 06/17/21
Nice
Posted By: LFC Re: The Fake Stump - 06/17/21
That is just about the silliest chit I ever saw on a hunting forum.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: The Fake Stump - 06/17/21
Obviously you are new here. Just wait.
Posted By: shaman Re: The Fake Stump - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by LFC
That is just about the silliest chit I ever saw on a hunting forum.

Thank you so much for sharing that. We'll tell the jokes slower for you from now on.

Posted By: basdjs Re: The Fake Stump - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by shaman
It's done!

I finished the Fake Stump out at the Honey Hole.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

More pics and the full story here:
The Fake Stump

I can't see you! Wave so we know where you're at!
Posted By: LFC Re: The Fake Stump - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Obviously you are new here. Just wait.

New here not to the ShaMan...
Posted By: shaman Re: The Fake Stump - 06/18/21
All joking aside, the truth is that it really doesn't take much more than that to hide from the turkeys. In the pre-season, I don't camo up all that much. Usually, I'd have my barn coat over that blue shirt, but I've been out in duds like that in March and the turkeys really could not care less. The important thing is to be absolutely still. Of course, when I'm hunting them, there's bound to be movement. I've got a shotgun to move around and all that. I'm fully kitted in camo. However, when I am out in the pre-season, I can be dead still and clothing doesn't seem to be an issue. Also, remember that I'm not trying to get all that close in the pre-season. I'm just trying to record audio. Seeing turkeys is not what I'm there for.

I've had some spectacular encounters over the years. Some I was able to capture on my podcasts. The best? I didn't have any audio equipment with me that morning, but I had the Gay Turkey Herd come up and give me a real floor show:

The Blind Squirrel Gets Ambushed — A Pre-Season Tale
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: The Fake Stump - 06/22/21
personalities are such funny things.
I had imagined you as a whip thin hollow faced type...(maybe it was the handle)
but I can see your mirth and sense of humor better now.

very few scrawny guys have senses of humor on par with yours. John Carlin was one.

keep spinnin' those yarns.
you tell a good tale shaman.
Posted By: LFC Re: The Fake Stump - 06/22/21
Truth is the turkey hunting forums are full of fruit cakes.
© 24hourcampfire