Home
Posted By: docost99 Open style red dot? - 03/24/21
What brand/model red dots are you guys putting on your turkey guns?
Posted By: humdinger Re: Open style red dot? - 03/24/21
I have burris FF3's w 3 moa dots on my franchi affinity 12 ga and 20 gauge. Using the SUMTOY mount to get it as low as possible and I like it. Truglo may make a mounts like the sumtoy now. I didn't like using a weaver 93A base because it was too high.

I have a similar look & style vortex venom (?) 3moa that I bought used from a friend on my savage 24 12ga / 223. I like the burris better because of the auto dimming feature.

I have other reflex sights I use on plinkers, but I justified the money for a turkey or predator hunt.
Posted By: pullit Re: Open style red dot? - 03/25/21
I have a Fastfire 3 and a Vortex.
I really like the simple Fastfire 2 on and off as well as the auto dim. but I have had more of them fail than I care to talk about. I like the way the battery installs from the top on the FF3 vs the bottom install on the FF2.
I really wish someone (and maybe they do but I don't know about it) made a simple on and off like the FF2 with auto dim, but a top install battery.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Open style red dot? - 03/25/21
I have a Bushnell Mini P prism on my Henry .410 for trial. Focusing ocular, very sharp reticle, and no battery needed, but lights up if you prefer. Downside is the very small tube, which restricts the view a little. I have red dots available if this doesn't work out, as well as a couple of small, light scopes.

Film at 11.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Open style red dot? - 03/25/21
Been very happy with Burris fastfire for a number of years on multiple guns. Switched out 2s for 3s when the 3 came out for ease of battery replacement (though a battery lasts a long time)

I just bought a new M2 and will use the Fastfire 3 and a speed bead mount. Currently I use the weaver rail and that works fine. As others have said the Sumtoy or Burris 336 mount will get it lower than the rail but not as low as the speed bead
Posted By: docost99 Re: Open style red dot? - 03/26/21
Thanks for the ideas, guys!
The speed bead mount that I fond will not work with an 870 Express 20 ga. I'll look into the tru-glo and the sumtoy mount.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Open style red dot? - 03/29/21
I just watched a video of the burris FF4... its beefier, wider, and multiple reticles. It may be worth checking out or upgrading too.
Posted By: TN25BORE Re: Open style red dot? - 03/29/21
Don't know if you are set on a red dot or considered a good set of fiber optic irons but I prefer the latter. Needs no battery, don't have to remember to turn it on/off & much cheaper. I believe I spent less than $60 on my set I have & the rear sight is adjustable for elevation & windage. Again, this is just my opinion & just throwing that out there as another option. Good luck this season whatever you decide.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Open style red dot? - 03/29/21
Originally Posted by TN25BORE
Don't know if you are set on a red dot or considered a good set of fiber optic irons but I prefer the latter. Needs no battery, don't have to remember to turn it on/off & much cheaper. I believe I spent less than $60 on my set I have & the rear sight is adjustable for elevation & windage. Again, this is just my opinion & just throwing that out there as another option. Good luck this season whatever you decide.

There's truth to this...

I was patterning my rem 870 express tactical with XS ghost ring sights and my Franchi with a 3 MOA red dot.
The big peep sights line up well and you don't notice how much wiggle you have.
The 3 MOA dot lets you see wiggle and that you can un-nerve yourself. Too much precision. You get afraid to miss if you're running a tight choke tube.
Posted By: docost99 Re: Open style red dot? - 03/29/21
I have a Tru-Glo Universal sight on my 12 ga with the rear peep. I like it, but I've bent the rear sight up a couple times and totally lost the front sight a couple times when crawling through brush and tag alder swamps.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Open style red dot? - 03/30/21
Originally Posted by docost99
I have a Tru-Glo Universal sight on my 12 ga with the rear peep. I like it, but I've bent the rear sight up a couple times and totally lost the front sight a couple times when crawling through brush and tag alder swamps.

Have you looked at the williams version?
I have some that are pretty stout and dont have long leaf springs.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Open style red dot? - 03/30/21

I have Williams Sluggers with a peep on mine and they have been rock solid. No way they would bend, breaking them would take some doing.

The Swampfox Kingslayer with green reticle interests me for a dot sight.
Posted By: docost99 Re: Open style red dot? - 03/30/21
The Williams version does look like a better option than the long lever arm of the tru-glo.
I ended up getting a Holosun 507 red dot from the classifieds for a good price.
Posted By: pullit Re: Open style red dot? - 03/31/21
I used a set of fiber optic sight on my gun years ago. Opening day after having to crawl to get a shot, I brought the gun up and my front sight was gone. I guess I drug it off in the brush but I went to a red dot after that and never looked back.
One thing about a red dot is that you don't have to be lined up to shoot it like you do rifle type sights or a shotgun scope. I killed a 4 bearded gobbler several years ago that I got busted on. He came out to my right and the gun was pointing to my left. I was trying to get the gun turned and was almost on him when he saw me. I had the butt stock on my arm and eased my head down till I saw the red dot on his head. BOOM and down he went. My arm was bruised for a couple of days but I got a great bird.
I don't think I could have made the shot with another type of sight with anywhere near the confidence I did with the red dot. Where the dot is, that is where the shot is going.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Open style red dot? - 03/31/21
As much as I dislike anything in the field that uses a battery, I carry a spare battery for the red dot and am super confident in my red dot too!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Open style red dot? - 04/01/21
Have a spare Sightmark.mini M spec reflex.

Would like to try it out this weekend on the 870
Posted By: Nepahunter Re: Open style red dot? - 04/08/21
Just got done zeroing a holosun 507c on my new shotgun it is solar power and 50,000 hours of battery if there’s no sun plus an auto mode which adjusts with natural light think it is slickest out there always the right brightness but haven’t had it for long but lots of good reviews on durability
Posted By: pullit Re: Open style red dot? - 04/08/21
Does the Holosun have the "shake awake" feature? I have been thinking of trying a Leupold Delta Point Pro as it has 2 things I am looking for 1) top or side load battery 2) "shake awake" feature.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Open style red dot? - 04/08/21
Originally Posted by pullit
Does the Holosun have the "shake awake" feature? I have been thinking of trying a Leupold Delta Point Pro as it has 2 things I am looking for 1) top or side load battery 2) "shake awake" feature.

I love the shapke awake feature on my xr scopes. I have yet to replace a battery on my deer rifle scope.
Posted By: Deerfanatic31 Re: Open style red dot? - 04/10/21
What dot size do you guys prefer for turkey hunting?
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Open style red dot? - 04/10/21
Originally Posted by Deerfanatic31
What dot size do you guys prefer for turkey hunting?

3 MOA
Posted By: hookeye Re: Open style red dot? - 04/11/21
I just put a Sightmark M spec reflex on my 870.
Zero tomorrow hopefully.
LOL.....see if it holds up.

No shake n wake feature, is 2 moa.
Posted By: warpig602 Re: Open style red dot? - 04/20/21
Holosun 507C X2, low profile, 50k hour battery life. Has a 2 moa dot in a 32moa ring(think eotech) you also have the option of using just the dot, or jsutthe ring. Its the ideal sight picture for Turkey.

Franchi Affinity 3 Compact with #9 TSS and a Carlson choke......shoots like my 12g with 3.5in #5 at 60 yards......weighs half as much and doent beat the [bleep] out of me. I wouldnt purposely shoot at 60 but id be lying if I said my range estimation in the wood was perfect.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: humdinger Re: Open style red dot? - 04/20/21
Originally Posted by warpig602
Holosun 507C X2, low profile, 50k hour battery life. Has a 2 moa dot in a 32moa ring(think eotech) you also have the option of using just the dot, or jsutthe ring. Its the ideal sight picture for Turkey.

Franchi Affinity 3 Compact with #9 TSS and a Carlson choke......shoots like my 12g with 3.5in #5 at 60 yards......weighs half as much and doent beat the [bleep] out of me. I wouldnt purposely shoot at 60 but id be lying if I said my range estimation in the wood was perfect.

What choke constriction?

I run a similar gun and want to try a different choke.
You'd have to check with the maker for the exact constrction, I honestly dont recall. Here are the 60 yard patterns with Carlsons, Pattern Master and Indian Creek.

When comparing the 40 and 60 yard patterns, the Pattern Master and Carlsons were close but he Carlson was 30.00 and the PM was 100.00

Correction, Carlsons is marked, .555
Posted By: pullit Re: Open style red dot? - 04/20/21
I just got a Holosun 507C from warpig602 yesterday and plan to try it out. I have always run a 3 MOA dot so I will be playing with the ring and dot combo to see how I like it. I too shoot a 20 ga and have sold all my 12 ga turkey guns, no need for the beating. I have a Wby 459 and an Rem 870 both with Indian Creek Chokes.
I will say this, a gun/shell/choke combo that works for one person may not work for the next. A high performance turkey gun is a lot like a rifle. Every rifle likes its own powder, charge weight, bullet weight, seating depth combo.
Agreed, I’ve done pretty extensive pattern testing with a few different shotguns. Usually consisting of 5 chokes and 3 different loads. Identical shotguns will prefer different chokes/ammo. That being said, the same choke companies are usually near the top so with this gun, particularly due to the cost of the tss, I only tried the 3 that usually give me the best results. The Carlsons tubes are almost always in the top 2. That being said, everyone is looking for something different in their pattern, in my case I wanted to be able to stretch to 50 if needed. The flip side being at 20 yards, it’s really tight. In the later seasons I may switch to the factory Full choke that threw a great pattern from 20-40 since the vegetation here really pops by 4th season and distance is limited. The bird in the picture above was punched 3 days ago at 30 yards.
I should also note, I can’t think of single choke I’ve tried that wouldn’t have have killed a turkey at 40 yards(almost exclusively using 12g Longbeard XR ammo). The ammo is really what makes or breaks a shotgun, the choke just fine tunes it to your liking. I found that out when pattern testing pheasant loads in my Ethos.
Posted By: pullit Re: Open style red dot? - 04/20/21
If not shooting TSS, Longbeards would be my go shell
TSS really makes the 20g a viable option for me.
Posted By: PINEKNOT Re: Open style red dot? - 04/22/21
I shot Burris FF2’s and then FF3’s for years. Never had an issue with them not performing or losing zero. I got a new M2 this year and put a Vortex Venom on it. Initially couldn’t get it to sight in even after shimming it. Vortex sent me a new one and I had it sighted in with two low brass bird shot and one TSS turkey load. So far I really like it. I had Burris 336 mounts on the FF red dots and went with a low profile EGW mount on the Venom. Sumtoy also makes a good mount. I’ve experienced great customer service with both Burris and Vortex. I would recommend either without hesitation.
Posted By: warpig602 Re: Open style red dot? - 04/22/21
As far as mounts go, the Scalarworks is supreme in the low profile arena

Posted By: humdinger Re: Open style red dot? - 04/22/21

Thats a nice rugged looking sight. I may have to consider that if I get the urge to update my FF3 to a FF4 or something else.
Posted By: dieselfitter Re: Open style red dot? - 04/29/21

Is Holosun compatible with the RMR footprint?
Posted By: pullit Re: Open style red dot? - 04/29/21
Originally Posted by dieselfitter

There are different models of the Holosun 407/507 sight, the letter after the number is the difference. I believe that warpig602 sight is a C and Holosun makes one that is a K model that is smaller.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Open style red dot? - 05/02/21
This just in.......

I had looked at Meadow Creek rib mounts for my CZ O/U, but it appeared they wouldn’t fit through the narrow slots of the rib. Went back to their site and saw they sell a special mount for putting FF3-footprint reflex red dots on O/Us. The baseplate is slotted and beveled so it can be slid through a pretty narrow opening. Just got done mounting an FF3 on the CZ and it’s as small and neat, and low as it could possibly be. The PIC mount is eliminated because the sight screws to the base directly, and the base is the same size as the sight itself. Very tidy.

Adapters are included to fit ribs of varying width. Only minor quibble is the sight is farther out than I prefer, but it’s in the first opening so that’s that. They even include a tube of LocTite. $50

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Open style red dot? - 05/03/21
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pullit Re: Open style red dot? - 05/03/21
nice
Posted By: humdinger Re: Open style red dot? - 05/04/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
This just in.......

I had looked at Meadow Creek rib mounts for my CZ O/U, but it appeared they wouldn’t fit through the narrow slots of the rib. Went back to their site and saw they sell a special mount for putting FF3-footprint reflex red dots on O/Us. The baseplate is slotted and beveled so it can be slid through a pretty narrow opening. Just got done mounting an FF3 on the CZ and it’s as small and neat, and low as it could possibly be. The PIC mount is eliminated because the sight screws to the base directly, and the base is the same size as the sight itself. Very tidy.

Adapters are included to fit ribs of varying width. Only minor quibble is the sight is farther out than I prefer, but it’s in the first opening so that’s that. They even include a tube of LocTite. $50

Range report requested.

Hold zero well?
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Open style red dot? - 05/04/21
I had a flat spot milled on the receiver of my 870 for the Burris FF3. Rock solid and low...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Open style red dot? - 05/04/21
Dunno yet. It’s held on with four pretty hefty screws, and I butted the bottom plate against the rib. If if moves, I’ll add some glue.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Open style red dot? - 05/04/21
Very slick.
Posted By: warpig602 Re: Open style red dot? - 05/10/21

There are different models of the Holosun 407/507 sight, the letter after the number is the difference. I believe that warpig602 sight is a C and Holosun makes one that is a K model that is smaller.

Correct. This model does have the same footprint, others do not.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Open style red dot? - 02/21/22
I am setting up a Benelli M1 Super 90, 20 gauge, I bought this year with a sight. Leaning toward the Scalarworks mount and a Trijicon. Which Trijicon models and reticle are preferred? Thanks
© 24hourcampfire