Home
Posted By: DeanAnderson Suction calls... - 01/13/22
Anyone still using one? I did years ago but pretty much gave up any calls that needed my hands. I'll have to dig through some of my totes and see if I still have any.

Got my notification from WI, I drew a tag. Not exactly the time I wanted, but I can try to get a left over tag in March.
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Suction calls... - 01/13/22
Trumpet and a diaphragm is all I carry.

Friction call always seem to get a wet spot or need maintance at the worse time for me.

The big woods I hunt a trumpet is the best at locating birds mid day.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Suction calls... - 01/13/22
What part of WI? I'm either just south of Mauston or up by Sturgeon Bay.
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Suction calls... - 01/13/22
I live in southern Wisconsin but do most of my turkey hunting in the central forest. Not a fan of farm land turkey hunting.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Suction calls... - 01/13/22
All this talk about calls has me reminiscing all the different calls I've used over the years. And as mentioned in other posts, learning them by ourselves without any help. Good stuff...
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Suction calls... - 01/13/22
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
All this talk about calls has me reminiscing all the different calls I've used over the years. And as mentioned in other posts, learning them by ourselves without any help. Good stuff...

Yep, no family members that turkey hunted. No friends that turkey hunted. No CDs or tapes. Just printed material.

We have a local park with lots of turkeys and a battlefield Nat'l Historic Park with lots of turkeys. Even though I couldn't hunt in those, I rememer walking the trails in early spring making calls, learning how to do it, and being so excited when I got my first distant gobbles in response.
Posted By: roverboy Re: Suction calls... - 01/14/22
I've never made or used a trumpet call. But, have made several wingbones and like them. I got several slates too. Slate, glass, aluminum, copper.
© 24hourcampfire