Home
Posted By: lugnut1981 turkey chokes and loads - 01/31/22
I haven't been turkey hunting in probably over five years or ever since I moved. With my job, it's hard to find time for me to go, but I may get a chance or two this year if I'm lucky. I would also like to take my sons.

My dad gave both my sons a benelli montefeltro 20 ga for Christmas a year ago. I know that's probably not the most ideal turkey gun, but if we go that's what they'll use. I see all the rage and some videos about tss making 20 ga shoot really well. I'm in the delima of either spending the money on some tss and a choke for it or just going with some winchester longbeard xr and a choke. I will pattern whatever I choose, but I don't want to go trying a bunch of types and spending lots of money when there's a good chance I won't be able to go. In other words, if anybody has some choke/load combinations that you would feel pretty confident in let me know. I know every gun is different, but was hoping there's a combo that has worked well for many giving a good probablity that what we buy patterns well. I know Carlson makes chokes specifically for heavyweight tss and another for longbeard xr. Not sure if one will do good for either. Also doesn't have to have the ultimate tightest. I would like a little forgiving at 20 yards but still plenty tight for 40 yard kills. That's one reason I am thinking about the tss because of hight pellet count and density for penetration at longer ranges. On one hand, I hate to overspend, but if you only get one shot I'd like to give them the best odds.

My turkey gun is a remington 870 express 12 ga . I have a handful of old 31/2 " Winchester supreme #5's laying around that use to shoot good through my comp n choke best I can remember. Worst case scenario I'll shoot them. I have a comp n choke .655 and an indian creek .665 choke. I bought the indian creek about 5 years ago to try with heavyshot, but it patterned horribly. It was a let down considering expensive choke and shells. Maybe it will do good with something else. Does anybody have any experience with winchester longbear xr through either of these chokes. I'll probably just buy a box and try through both chokes. Not spending the money to pattern tss through my 12 ga. I don't think you can use comp n choke for tss anyway. Atleast with longbeard, I would have 2 chokes to try.

Please give me your thoughts and experiences with these loads.

Thank you
Posted By: pullit Re: turkey chokes and loads - 01/31/22
The 870 or the Benelli are both good guns, but you hit the nail on the head. No matter what shell or shot type you choose to use, patterning and knowing you pattern limits is key.
I have not shot the LongBeards out of a 20 ga but they worked well in my 12 with a .655 IC choke. As far as the 20 ga. my choice would be an IC. (by once and cry once) .555 and TSS shells. If you choose to try the LB's instead of the TSS, I would still start with a .555 choke.
Posted By: pullit Re: turkey chokes and loads - 01/31/22
Oh and let us know what combo you choose to go with, and good luck to you and your son.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: turkey chokes and loads - 01/31/22
Those 20g Montefeltros would make dandy turkey guns.

You might do well to pattern them with 20g Winchester XX or XR #5 or #6 and the full choke tube that came with the gun. They might be, and probably are, perfectly adequate. Just like you said, a little forgiving close in, with enough shot density at 40 yards to be a reliable killer.

I've patterned Winchester XX #5 and #6 and Longbeard XR #5, 12 gauge, both 3" and 3/12" through three guns: an Ithaca Model 37, a Winchester SX4 and a Browning A5. All of then use Browning Invector Plus pattern tubes. I've used the stock full tubes as well as extended tubes with constrictions of .675, .680 and .685. The extended tubes do produce slightly better patterns than the stock full tubes, but only slightly. The .680 and .685 tube patterns are nearly indistinguishable. The Ithaca .675 tube does produce a noticably better pattern than the full tube and a litrtle better than the .680 and .685 tubes, but it's not dramatically better. What I am getting at is that I would not feel all that handicapped using the stock full tubes versus the extended tubes I've acquired.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: turkey chokes and loads - 01/31/22

I tried lead from my youth 870 20 gauge with .555, .562, and .570 chokes. I shot Federal 5’s and 6’s, Winchester 4’s and 5’s and Longbeard 5’s and 6’s. The longbeard patterned the best but from my gun and a guy I hunt with they were both 30-35yd guns.

I shoot the old Federal Heavyweight 7’s and I’ve killed with Hevi13 6’s and 7’s. If was starting over now I’d have a choke in the .570 range and TSS 9’s from a 20.

If I am shooting my 12 gauge I don’t shoot TSS. I have Winchester HV lead and some H13 7’s left over.
Posted By: Jstocks Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/04/22
That Montefeltro will do fine as a turkey gun.

Do yourself a favor and skip all the super tight chokes. Go pattern your factory full choke before you do anything as far as buying a choke. If you do buy an extended turkey choke, get a .582 undertaker or a .575 non ported carlsons. These are the 2 most consistent chokes with the guns I’ve tested. I’m not talking about counting pellets on a paper, I’m talking about killing turkey patterns. There’s a big difference, go to tight and you’ll regret it, especially if shooting a bead and not a sight.

I’m currently shooting an older montefeltro 26” barrel and a .587 carlsons duck hunting choke. It gives me plenty of range, but enough forgiveness.

I’m shooting one of Reloader’s recipes in a 1 5/8 oz load.
That's very good advise, try your existing factory choke tubes first.
Posted By: pullit Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/04/22
I have heard of people getting lucky with factory chokes as well, I just was not one of them.
Good luck
Posted By: Jstocks Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/04/22
People either love or hate the .555’s

The hate comes from missing turkeys due to pattern density is too tight and very rarely shoot to point of aim of a standard shotgun setup.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/06/22
Originally Posted by lugnut1981
IMy turkey gun is a remington 870 express 12 ga . I have a handful of old 31/2 " Winchester supreme #5's laying around that use to shoot good through my comp n choke best I can remember. Worst case scenario I'll shoot them. I have a comp n choke .655 and an indian creek .665 choke. I bought the indian creek about 5 years ago to try with heavyshot, but it patterned horribly. It was a let down considering expensive choke and shells. Maybe it will do good with something else. Does anybody have any experience with winchester longbear xr through either of these chokes. I'll probably just buy a box and try through both chokes. Not spending the money to pattern tss through my 12 ga. I don't think you can use comp n choke for tss anyway. Atleast with longbeard, I would have 2 chokes to try.

Please give me your thoughts and experiences with these loads.

Thank you

The old Supremes were THE SCHIZZ in lead turkey loads until the advent of the Longbeard XR. I have run more Supremes through Comp-N-Choke XXX-Full tubes in every 12 gauge imaginable than can be counted. To a gun, they were all 40 yard hammers. Some being better than others. The Winchester Super X's and their Browning twins really shined. The Benelli Novas also loved the combo. Mossberg 835's were probably the worst....but still 40 yard guns. Remington 870's always did well. My wife's gun is an early 1990's 870 Express Turkey 21" in 3". Her exact combo is a Comp-N-Choke .655" and a 3" Supreme #5. The .655 MAY be a whisker tight for the 3 1/2" load of #5's but you'll never know til it's on paper.

As far as the Longbeard XR goes.............screw in that Indian Creek and be prepared to be amazed. Period.

Good luck.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/07/22
I shoot the 1 3/4 oz #6 LB through the TruGlo SSX choke in my 12 gauge 870s. By far the best patterns of all chokes tried.

My 20 gauge 870 likes Federal #7 and #9 TSS through the Jeb's choke. It really shines with my #9 1 5/8 oz TSS handloads.

Enjoy your turkey seasons this year!
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/07/22
Lugnut- I bet if you try the 3” Winchester Longbeard XR #6’s with the Indian Creek choke you’ll be surprised.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/07/22

Indian Creek tube and Long beard #5's...
Posted By: pullit Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/07/22
No matter what shell/choke you end up using, it is good to see everyone checking patterns and POI. You would be surprised at how many just buy any old box of shells and any old choke and go hunt. The turkey ends up being the test target.
Posted By: LFC Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/07/22
Get a 12 ga and go hunting....it worked fine back then and it will work fine now.

Where the problem lies is with the guys that do too much figuring.....

Take gunnut308s picture of his gun and target....

I never heard him mention how many pellets his gun shot in the circle or how big the circle even was.....

Did you count the pellets holes (Im betting Yoder did)...
...did gunnutt308 count the pelllet holes ?

I didn't need to.....

It may work fine as long as your pattern holds up. "grab a 12 ga and go hunting" is fine as long as you shoot within the yardage that your pattern will cleanly kill a bird.
Posted By: LFC Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/07/22
Who decides what's clean....advertisers are pushing 65 yards in some adds.

You don't see a problem with that ?
And muzzleloader manufacturers promote 7mm Rem Mag ballistics! Yes, I do have an issue with marketing! Why it's so important to know your equipment's limitations and your limitations! If you need a bigger hammer, go get it!
Originally Posted by LFC

Guess that is up tp you. Knowing beats guessing anytime
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/07/22
Originally Posted by LFC

I don't see any extreme claims in this thread or any other about TSS on this particular forum. I think the folks in this thread hunt ethically and keep ranges reasonable. But I would agree there are some pretty spurious assertions out there on the net about TSS. It seems for some, TSS has become the 6.5 Creedmoor of the shotgun world. There's a sect of people promoting 1,000 yard hunting with the 6.5 and I liken some of the absurd range claims about TSS to that. There's no denying TSS is effective within reason. But 65 yard shots, and you're right, those claims are out there, are just beyond the distance where there exists a reasonable chance of getting hits where they count. And after shooting TSS in my 20 gauge at 30 and 40 yards, I wouldn't use it any further than I would use my 12 gauge, nor would I personally go to a smaller gauge gun for turkey hunting at those same ranges.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/07/22
You can shoot two guns of the same model with two shells from the same box and get different patterns. If you don't pattern your gun with your ammo you are just taking a shot in the dark. Some guys never pattern their guns. That's their business. As Charles Waterman said, "Maybe it's more fun that way."
Dang, I didn't realize that the challenge of turkey hunting was hitting it? I always thought it was the joy calling him in to your lap like folks once did.
Posted By: roverboy Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Dang, I didn't realize that the challenge of turkey hunting was hitting it? I always thought it was the joy calling him in to your lap like folks once did.

You're right. That is what's it all about. I have killed a few farther than I meant to or wanted but, enjoy it a lot more when I call one in real close.
Posted By: Jstocks Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/09/22
Originally Posted by roverboy

You're right. That is what's it all about. I have killed a few farther than I meant to or wanted but, enjoy it a lot more when I call one in real close.

Close is where the misses happen when folks don’t pattern their guns/choke/load combo
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/09/22
Originally Posted by Jstocks

. . . . when folks don’t pattern their guns/choke/load combo

^ ^ ^ ^

Sighting in/patterning should always be done to
every firearm used to hunt with every time
For some crazy reason, people don't want to do that
for whatever insane reason, and want to use some
website or some gadget or something to try and
avoid the sight-in / patterning chore
I've seen it a lot the last decade or so

JMHO- I've always derived a lot of personal satisfaction
by sighting in and knowing for sure the first shot
would be dead on
Posted By: roverboy Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/09/22
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by Jstocks

. . . . when folks don’t pattern their guns/choke/load combo

^ ^ ^ ^

Sighting in/patterning should always be done to
every firearm used to hunt with every time
For some crazy reason, people don't want to do that
for whatever insane reason, and want to use some
website or some gadget or something to try and
avoid the sight-in / patterning chore
I've seen it a lot the last decade or so

JMHO- I've always derived a lot of personal satisfaction
by sighting in and knowing for sure the first shot
would be dead on

You're talking about stupid people right?
Posted By: roverboy Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/09/22
I've patterned mine at 10 yards, and could easily bust one at that range. Head removal, I'm sure.
Posted By: LFC Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/10/22
Not much of a pattern at 10 yards with a turkey choke....
Posted By: roverboy Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/10/22
No pattern. Just a hole.
Getting ready for the hunt should be part of the enjoyment ( patterning , practicing with your call and prepping equipment in general) that is if you actually enjoy hunting !
Posted By: roverboy Re: turkey chokes and loads - 02/11/22
Getting ready for the hunt should be part of the enjoyment ( patterning , practicing with your call and prepping equipment in general) that is if you actually enjoy hunting !

Exactly, if you pattern your gun, load, choke. And make sure it shoots center of pattern where it should be, it will kill, even at very close range.
Ever shoot the head right off? Amazing how much blood pumps out!
© 24hourcampfire