Home
Posted By: EFHutton Snake Boots - 04/15/22
Needing a pair of lightweight snake boots , what say ye ?
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Snake Boots - 04/15/22
Rocky.
Posted By: pullit Re: Snake Boots - 04/15/22
I have an old pair of Rocky and a pair of Lacrosse, Rocky wins by a mile for my feet
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Snake Boots - 04/15/22
Been wearing Irish Setter VaprTreks for 5 or 6 years now. They're like 17" high running shoes. I wear 'em even when I'm hunting where nothing bites.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Snake Boots - 04/15/22

Justin if you don't want to get bit, Rocky's are tennis shoes trying to be snake boots. Rio7
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Snake Boots - 04/15/22
I have Red Wing/Irish Setter that say "Ultra Dry Waterproof" and "Snake Guard" and, on the inside, "Scent Ban." Stock number is 2875. They are very comfortable and easy to walk in. They are comfortable enough I wear them in SC even when it's too cold for snakes. They aren't too warm when it is. I like them a lot.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Snake Boots - 04/16/22
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have Red Wing/Irish Setter that say "Ultra Dry Waterproof" and "Snake Guard" and, on the inside, "Scent Ban." Stock number is 2875. They are very comfortable and easy to walk in. They are comfortable enough I wear them in SC even when it's too cold for snakes. They aren't too warm when it is. I like them a lot.

These are the VaprTreks. Same as mine. Yep,
Posted By: hipp2412 Re: Snake Boots - 04/16/22
I have a pair of Rocky boots that I worn for at least 20 years. Very comfortable and are still in great shape. I would hate to guess how many miles are on them. Now I only wear them while turky hunting or when I hunt Texas.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Snake Boots - 04/16/22
I’ve got a pair of Bass Pro Shop brand that I like. They were selling them cheap so I took a chance. I have been pretty surprised at how much I like them.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Snake Boots - 04/16/22

Snake guard Ain't snake bite proof, it's there to make you feel better about the boots, never want to see anyone get bit,
Rio7
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Snake Boots - 04/16/22
Originally Posted by RIO7

Snake guard Ain't snake bite proof, it's there to make you feel better about the boots, never want to see anyone get bit,
Rio7

It does make me feel better. I've never been hit. So I can't testify to the effectiveness...........but it's gotta be a combination of the materials in the boots and the angle of the majority of snake bites.

I know FOR A FACT that a pear thorn will poke straight into a "snake proof" boot. eek
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Snake Boots - 04/16/22
I have had numerous "snake boots"... currently have a set of Russell's that I never wear anymore...

Lacrosse Alpha Burly are waterproof and snakes cannot penetrate... this is what I wear most of the year now... and yes, every few years, I actually see the one that hits me on the rubber boots. I still jump and scream like a little girl....
Posted By: pullit Re: Snake Boots - 04/17/22
if it were not for snakes, we would still be in the garden of Eden.
I hate snakes
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Snake Boots - 04/17/22
Anybody have any experience with Danner Sharptails?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Snake Boots - 04/17/22

After a day of walking your legs will feel like they have lead soles, other than that they are ok. Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7

After a day of walking your legs will feel like they have lead soles, other than that they are ok. Rio7

They are not lightweight hikers; for sure. But are actually only 4oz's per boot heavier than a 8" Pronghorn hunting boot and about the same as a Crispi Nevada hiker
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Snake Boots - 04/17/22

We work every day in rattlesnake country, year around and we get a few hits every year, The Justin's give us the best protection and are light enough for all day every day wear we hunt Quail about 5 day's a week from Oct 1st till Feb 28 , wear what works for you that's what we do. Rio7
anybody tried the Turtle Skin gaiters with good waterproof hikers?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Snake Boots - 04/18/22

Had a 5' Rattler get in the dog kennel yesterday, 1 dog bit, on the face, looks like snakes are going to be bad this year. Rio7
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Snake Boots - 04/18/22
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
anybody tried the Turtle Skin gaiters with good waterproof hikers?

I wear the Turtle Skins when working around the farm in the summer. They are very lightweight and comfortable but you do sweat a lot in them in hot weather. I use them with a heavy leather Justin work boot.

I have used the Rocky snake boots and they are comfortable also but I felt my grandson needed them more than I did.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Snake Boots - 04/18/22
RIO7, any idea why a snake would go into the dog pen? Water? Shade? I literally have zero experience with rattle snakes other than a bowhunt in Arizona for desert mulies. We were coming off a "hill" and I walked right up on one in the early evening. It coiled up and started rattling and my partners .45acp took care of it. Of course I teased him that it took 6 shots to finally hit it! LOL! I did send him some .45acp snake shot ammo after that and was grateful he was as close to me as he was.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Snake Boots - 04/18/22

Dean Anderson, No idea? might be looking for a mouse? we clean our kennels twice a day, they are cool shady and airy, we keep about 35-40 dogs in the summer. Rio7]
Posted By: 44mc Re: Snake Boots - 04/18/22
I have had them in the barn when is hot and dry in the water bole off the ice machine for the dogs and yard cats . when it is dry here they will find water don't matter what kind of snake .
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: Snake Boots - 04/22/22
Lacrosse aero head snake is my choice
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Snake Boots - 04/24/22
Irish Setter VaprTreks are like tennis shoes once on. They are extremely comfortable to wear but can be tough to get off without a puller or unlacing. I shoot oil on the zippers periodically to insure they are smooth.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Snake Boots - 04/24/22
Just received a pair of the Danner Sharptails; sent back first pair as I should have read reviews about upsizing. Re-ordered my normal size in wide and can get on an off with out "too" much extra effort. Typical of most slip ons. Had already sent back a pair of the lace up/zip up Pronghorns; they were VERY uncomfortable. The leather above the ankle bent inwards and were flat painful.
The Sharptails feel much lighter on foot than I would have expected. Going to wear them around the house for couple of days; hard to beat Danner's free shipping and free returns policy. You can actually return a boot up to a year if never worn outside
Posted By: Jstocks Re: Snake Boots - 04/25/22
Anyone tried Russel’s?

I had a bad experience with them but it was a zipper failure not the boot in general. Very comfortable. Lots of folks swear they get 20 years out of them. I think if I buy them again I’ll get their south 40 model.
© 24hourcampfire