Home
Posted By: 10Glocks Summer Tracks - 07/30/22
House interior is getting painted so I decided to head to the woods to see what was going on.

All the forest service access trails are chest high in grass, blackberries and every other imaginable thing. Even though I waded through this stuff for the better part of a mile tearing up my legs, I got not a single tick. Got no ticks at all in 2022 save one during spring squirrel season.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If turkeys eat Japanese Beetles, then they have plenty of food, whatever this weed is had beetles all over them.

Lots of deer, turkey and coyote tracks. It rained last night and the ground was a little sticky. I think these tracks are from this morning.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 07/30/22

Coyote track and a Glock 17 for scale. We don't have a dedicated coyote season here. But you can take them whenever something else is in season.

Three hens flushed out of this stuff. Two flew one way, one the other. They weren't more than 10 feet off the trail.

Didn't see any evidence of polts.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 07/30/22
Nice pics !!!

Looks like you're in the right place.
I've never hunted coyote before. But I am tempted to get an electronic caller and give it a whirl.

Our coyote law:

Continuous open season except on National Forest lands and Department lands. Coyote hunting on National Forest lands and Department lands is permitted from September 1 through March 10 and during the spring turkey season. Coyotes may also be hunted on Department lands during the spring squirrel season unless otherwise posted (see list of open areas).
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Summer Tracks - 07/30/22
Deer and turkey are why I started coyote hunting decades ago. Although I doubt the amount of coyotes I've taken out has really helped the deer and turkey populations, but it made me feel better. And it can be pretty challenging. Hunt predators long enough and you begin to wonder how prey animals stay alive. One quick tip, try to set up so you can watch your downwind side too...
Posted By: MOGC Re: Summer Tracks - 07/30/22
If you have coyotes you probably call some during turkey season.
I used to see them at a place I hunted a few counties south of here, back in the 80s and 90s, when people swore there were no coyotes in Virginia. Now I see them quite a bit on the Yorktown Battlefield, around Walmart and Sam's Club, and other places. Richmond Virginia media has reported that the city is crawling with them at night. But I've never seen one here at the location in the pictures above. But I know they're there. I see their foot prints, and come across their feather/fur infused turds. So there is an opportunity to actually hunt them here. I'm pretty sure few do, other than landowners shooting them.

While hunting anything else with a rifle larger than .22 in this county is prohibited, rifles larger than .22 are legal for groundhogs and coyotes. Night hunting with lights or night vision is also legal as long as it's not general deer season.

I've never hunted them before. I may give it a try come September. With the rolling terrain and large clear cuts, there would be opportunities for some long shots.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 07/30/22
The FoxPro Patriot is a great caller for a decent price. Make sure to get the electronic decoy, too. I think it's called a Fox Jack or something similar.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Summer Tracks - 07/31/22
Long shots and rimfires for coyotes is a bad idea. Since you are centerfire restricted, use your 12 gauge turkey shotgun and get set up in cover and call them within forty yards and shoot them in the face. It is far more effective and more exciting to boot.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 07/31/22
In this county, we can hunt coyotes and groundhogs with rifles larger than .22. But I was thinking a 12gauge as well. A 3.5" load of #4 buck would do the trick.
I was reading a Virginia DWR article. Virginia is one of the last US states to be colonized by coyotes migrating in from the north and south. The writer essentially said that it is unclear if coyotes in Virginia are causing a decline in deer populations. (We've got more deer in Virginia now then ever before, with some northern Virginia counties allowing unlimited yearly harvests.) But he did say, at this point, controlling coyotoes on an agency and hunting level is now impossible. Apparently they are here to stay, they can't be eliminated, and even if the population is reduced significantly, they can rebound in a single year. I know in Powhatan County, coyotoes are thick and there was a semi-recent news broadcast about cattle farms loosing calfs to them. Apparently, hunters can't shoot enough of them. And some of them are large, having a significant amount of Eastern Wolf DNA in them.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Summer Tracks - 07/31/22
I've never tried to substantiate this, so take it with a grain of salt. If you call in multiple yotes and can tell the alpha, don't shoot it! The alpha's control the breeding and if you take it out, they'll breed like crazy until a new alpha is established. It kinda makes sense to me, but as I said, I've never tried to substantiate the claim. In northern central Wisconsin, more than once, I've had many yotes respond and come in on the run to my late winter calling. Which I'm sure has more to do with their hunger than my calling, lol! But in those instances, it was pretty easy to see which one was calling the shots for the pack.
In order to control the population it is required to kill at least 70% of a large area coyote population for at least 5 consecutive years. Recreational hunting and trapping/snaring isn't going to do that. Coyote hunting is challenging and fun and that is why you do it.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by MOGC
In order to control the population it is required to kill at least 70% of a large area coyote population for at least 5 consecutive years. Recreational hunting and trapping/snaring isn't going to do that. Coyote hunting is challenging and fun and that is why you do it.

They ARE basically an unwinnable war. I just look at every one I can eliminate as being SOMETHING. Like my small contribution. IMO........a guy who wants to help his turkeys should invest his predator control time mostly in trapping coons, possums and skunks. Shooting crows won't hurt either. This fall, my plan is an all-out war on the coons, possums and skunks on our property.

P.S. Where legal, this time of year, coons can be called in like any other critter.
Coons can be called year round and are a hoot to call in. I am just as happy to kill a coon as a coyote.
From what I've read, the coyotes found in Virginia are 64% coyote, 15% gray wolf, 11% eastern wolf, and 10% domestic dog. That accounts for their increased size over western coyotes. I've seen lots of coyotes in the deserts of southern California and Nevada, and my son hunted them there when he was at Twenty Nine Palms, CA, and they are smaller than the ones we have here. The ones I've seen in and around my city were shockingly large. I have no dount they are capable deer killers.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I have no doubt they are capable deer killers.

They are.

We've killed at least two........maybe three, here that have been over 50 lbs. A pack of those doesn't have to just prey on the weak or sick.
What do most people do with them if they shoot one? The ones I've seen in Virginia have been tall, long legged, but not especially lush in the fur department.
Posted By: pullit Re: Summer Tracks - 08/01/22
Yotes have always been a "target of opportunity" for me. I would be hunting something else (usually deer) and one would come by and never leave.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/01/22
This area is public land, a state forest, but it is not in use right now. It's not being logged and there was no evidence anyopne had been there that morning. With all that chit growing on the trails, I doubt anyone has been there in weeks or months. So I think in the next couple of week, I will wade though all that stuff again down to where the trail becomes sandy where I saw all those tracks and set up a game camera and leave it overnight. I'd like to see what's going on.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Summer Tracks - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by pullit
Yotes have always been a "target of opportunity" for me. I would be hunting something else (usually deer) and one would come by and never leave.

Absolutely! No matter what I'm hunting, if a coyote comes along, I'm coyote hunting! Lol!
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/04/22
Well, I ordered an electronic call and decoy. It's certainly not the most costly I could have ordered but seems to get good ratings wherever I've looked.

https://icotec.com/product/gen2-gc350-programmable-call/

https://icotec.com/product/ad400-attachable-electronic-predator-decoy/

It comes pre-programmed with a selection of calls or you can download more from Icotec's library.

https://icotec.com/sound-previews-downloads-gc350-gc500/

Next thurdsay I am going to go put up my game camera looking at a trail intersection where I see these tracks. I'll leave it overnight and see what I get (hopefully not a stolen camera).
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Summer Tracks - 08/04/22
Best coyote call I ever used was back in the 70's out in SW Nebraska. Rancher tied/hung a chicken upside down from a tree branch, did it ever call in the coyotes! Pretty sure that's no longer a legal call!
That probably was a good call. I'll check and see of there is a "Upside down chicken in distress call" sound file I can download and use.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/04/22
Beginning coyote hunters worry about the wrong things. Beginners worry about the call and the gun. Those two things aren't problems, a good hand call and about any firearm can do just fine. The calling, the actual sound isn't that important when coyote hunting. Coyotes respond to sounds for any number of reasons, hunger, curiosity, maternal or territorial. If there are coyotes in the area getting a coyote to respond to a call isn't hard. If there are coyotes around getting a coyote to respond to the call in such a place and in a manner in which you can kill it is the hard part. That's called the set-up or the stand. And it's no different than calling gobblers. Gobblers that can smell you from long distances. You can sometimes find a hot two year old turkey gobbler or a group of jakes and call them easy peasy. Same for young of the year coyotes. Coyotes in October and early November come pretty easy. It is the four year old gobbler that will give you a fit and it is the same way for mature coyotes. Now you better plan on using wind direction, cover and terrain to your advantage, make decent sounds, don't fidget and move around and be able to shoot when the time comes. Kill old mature coyotes consistently and then you're a coyote hunter.
Posted By: LFC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/04/22
Did you say gobblers smell you from long distances ?
He's making a deliberate literary false analogy in order to illustrate a point. He's saying a coyote is "like" a gobbler that can smell you from long distances. He's not saying gobblers can smell you from long distances.

edit for typos
Posted By: MOGC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/04/22
He's making a deliberate literary false anology in order to illustrate a point. He's saying a coyote is "like" a gobbler than can smell you from long distances. He's not saying gobblers can smell you from long distances.

Thanks...
Posted By: LFC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/05/22
The calling, the actual sound isn't that important when coyote hunting. Coyotes respond to sounds for any number of reasons, hunger, curiosity, maternal or territorial. If there are coyotes in the area getting a coyote to respond to a call isn't hard. Gobblers that can smell you from long distances. You can sometimes find a hot two year old turkey gobbler or a group of jakes and call them easy peasy.

GlockheAd maybe that's how you read it since we know that you know literally nothing about turkey hunting or coyote hunting.

Coyote and turkey hunting have very little in common.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 08/05/22
Originally Posted by LFC

A statement like that makes me wonder just how much YOU know about either one.............

Maybe when you've hunted turkeys as long as I have, you'll figure it out. smirk
Posted By: MOGC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/05/22
Originally Posted by LFC
The calling, the actual sound isn't that important when coyote hunting. Coyotes respond to sounds for any number of reasons, hunger, curiosity, maternal or territorial. If there are coyotes in the area getting a coyote to respond to a call isn't hard. Gobblers that can smell you from long distances. You can sometimes find a hot two year old turkey gobbler or a group of jakes and call them easy peasy.

GlockheAd maybe that's how you read it since we know that you know literally nothing about turkey hunting or coyote hunting.

"Coyote and turkey hunting have very little in common."

Can you explain and clarify that statement please?
One is a predator/mammal with a bigger brain the other is a bird with a brain no bigger than a pecan with the mental capability of glOck head or yOderboy....

The coyote requires full camo and you have to play the winds....he has two defense systems his nose and his vision. The turkey only has one defense system his eyes.

You can't hunt the same farm for days on end and kill coyotes with turkeys you can.

Turkey hunting doesn't require full camo and the wind isn't involved.....

Both require skill to hunt if you don't use a blind or decoys.

I've hunted both successfully for years......for close to 50 years.
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by LFC

A statement like that makes me wonder just how much YOU know about either one.............

Maybe when you've hunted turkeys as long as I have, you'll figure it out. smirk

You're full of chit as usual....

I might add with the exception of glOck head you are no doubt the goofiest person I've ever ran into on the internet....
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/05/22
My electronic predator call is coming today. I was looking for sound file to load to it. I found this "animal in distress" sound file that sounds like a small dog that has just been run over by a car and is choking on blood but hasn't died yet. It's a pitful sound that is sure to bring in a coyote looking for an easy meal.

https://voca.ro/1j90a4CMiAgK
Originally Posted by LFC

HOW close to 50 years, Luther ??
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Summer Tracks - 08/05/22
10Glocks, what have you heard in the area you want to do this? Try to match what you've heard. If you really want to get into this, learn the mouth calls and what to call and when. A little mouse squeaker can go a long way, and watch downwind! Always watch down wind! I have an electronic caller, still new in the box, never been used. I use a howler, for barks and howls, a distress call and a mouse squeaker. I got the electronic caller one winter when it was so cold the mouth calls kept freezing up on me. Learn the calls and the cadence of the calls. Stop a distress call as sharply as you can to mimic a quick demise of the whatever. Predator hunting is really cool hunting and their senses are through the roof. Enjoy and watch downwind! Lol!
My electronic predator call is coming today. I was looking for sound file to load to it. I found this "animal in distress" sound file that sounds like a small dog that has just been run over by a car and is choking on blood but hasn't died yet. It's a pitful sound that is sure to bring in a coyote looking for an easy meal.

https://voca.ro/1j90a4CMiAgK

That dog sounds AWFUL........ It probably oughta work well on a hungry 'yote. Yep.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/05/22
That dog sounds AWFUL........ It probably oughta work well on a hungry 'yote. Yep.

I know, right? It sounds so pitiful, it makes me want to cry. Whoever made those sounds is either a heartless individual for letting a dog suffer and not putting a bullet to it, or extremely talented at imitating a puppy getting stomped.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/06/22
Originally Posted by LFC
1). One is a predator/mammal with a bigger brain the other is a bird with a brain no bigger than a pecan with the mental capability of glOck head or yOderboy....

2). The coyote requires full camo and you have to play the winds....he has two defense systems his nose and his vision. The turkey only has one defense system his eyes.

3) You can't hunt the same farm for days on end and kill coyotes with turkeys you can.

4)Turkey hunting doesn't require full camo and the wind isn't involved.....

5) Both require skill to hunt if you don't use a blind or decoys.

6) I've hunted both successfully for years......for close to 50 years.

1). True.

2). Wrong. Hell, Gerry Blair called and killed coyotes in a Santa Claus suit to prove that camo wasn't necessary. Deer hunters in blaze orange have close encounters with coyotes all the time. I have lip squeaked a chit load of coyotes during deer season with a blaze orange jacket and hat on. Lots of guys wear Carhartt clothes that are so worn that they are nearly white. Movement on the stand is what spooks coyotes. You simply can't get away with much fidgeting around while on a calling stand. The same as old gobblers, right?

2A). Coyotes and turkeys have hearing and can and do use that as a defensive tool. As a coyote hunter or turkey hunter with 50 years of experience I would have thought that you realize that is why you are making those noises on a call - hearing.

3). Only partially true. You can hunt a farm for a few days and end up being successful on coyotes. If you hunt the farm the first several days and there aren't any coyotes in that area at that time and then on the third day there is a coyote within hearing that coyote can and will come to the call. He has no reason not to, he wasn't around the first several days and has no idea you were there as long as you watched your approaches and didn't scatter scent all over the place. And depending upon how much human activity the farm has that may not be as big of a deal as you think it is.

3A) And the flip side of that is that it is entirely possible to over hunt an area and burn it out if you are bumping and spooking coyotes and over calling.

4) We have covered this - asked and answered.

5) Surely.

6) If you say so. But I'd say you have a bit to learn about the predator side of things yet.
Posted By: LFC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/06/22
If Gerry Blair is your herO you.need help....
Posted By: MOGC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/06/22
Originally Posted by LFC
If Gerry Blair is your herO you.need help....

Never said that, did I?
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Summer Tracks - 08/06/22
Coyotes are a fitting topic for this thread now, because it's really gone to the dogs! Lol!
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/06/22
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
10Glocks, what have you heard in the area you want to do this? Try to match what you've heard. If you really want to get into this, learn the mouth calls and what to call and when. A little mouse squeaker can go a long way, and watch downwind! Always watch down wind! I have an electronic caller, still new in the box, never been used. I use a howler, for barks and howls, a distress call and a mouse squeaker. I got the electronic caller one winter when it was so cold the mouth calls kept freezing up on me. Learn the calls and the cadence of the calls. Stop a distress call as sharply as you can to mimic a quick demise of the whatever. Predator hunting is really cool hunting and their senses are through the roof. Enjoy and watch downwind! Lol!

I'm not sure how into this I'm going to get. On public land here, coyote season opens on September 1. That gives me a short window of time before season for other things open. Then there is a short window of time after the main seasons close to continue hunting coyote. And it opens again in June during spring squirrel season. On private land there is no closed season, but I've not put any effort into finding any more private land since I lost access to som a few years ago, I've just hunted public land.

In this area, there's squirrels barking, birds, geese honking, and hens yelping in the spring. I've never seen a coyote here, just their tracks and crap, so I know they're here. On other tracts of land further south, I've had coyote come in when turkey and squirrel calling, but I never shot one.

I may pick up some manual calls. I have my electronic call now. It's got a myriad of calls loaded onto it. I am going to use that first.
Got no ticks at all in 2022 save one during spring squirrel season.

I don't recall seeing any pics of any dead squirrels or squirrel hunting videos on your Comedy channel....did you get any squirrels or just the one tick ?
A quick search of your posts reveals no deAd squirrels.....

Next question how does one make tick soup from one lousy tick ?

Does tick soup have more flavor than tAg soup ?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 08/06/22
Originally Posted by LFC

HOW close to 50 years, Luther ??

HOW close to 50 years, buddy ?? Inquiring minds want to know...............
Inquiring minds would like to know who in the turkey hunting and choke tube industry paid you money for over two decades ?
Originally Posted by LFC
Inquiring minds would like to know who in the turkey hunting and choke tube industry paid you money for over two decades ?

Touche' grin

Maybe when you've been at it as long as I have, I'll tell you.
In your mind I'm sure you've been at this a lOng time....I recall you bragging about your dad being a psychologist what mind altering drugs did he have you on when you were a child ?
Just stop responding directly to LFC. Just put him on ignore. There isn't a single thread on this subforum that's been ruined that wasn't ruined by interacting with him (and yes, I was guilty of that, too). He has zero to add to any discussion except attempted insults and argument.
Just stop responding directly to LFC. Just put him on ignore. There isn't a single thread on this subforum that's been ruined that wasn't ruined by interacting with him. He has zero to add to any discussion except attempted insults and argument.

I had for a time................. But I missed the entertainment value of his ramblings.

Besides that, I wanna always be here for him when he's got rookie questions and wants the advice of a seasoned turkey hunter with years of experience in the woods.
Here's my new call.

I set it up last night on my property and tested the remote from 100 yards. Works perfectly. Damn, you can crank the volume up really high. If my neighbor hadn't been out and seen what I was doing, I might have teased him with it. He's the one who says there is a coyote in our neighborhood. And there may be. Several people have told me they've seen one. I've only seen foxes.

When I unboxed it, I discovered the remote takes a 12v A23 battery. Never even heard of an A23 battery. Had to run down to Ace Hardare where luckily they had some.
You're gonna have fun with that.

Was just talking to my older boy last night. We're gonna get out here some day soon. Labor Day weekend is sorta a coyote hunting tradition for me and him. But I'd like to give it a go or two before that. Maybe go myself but leave our traditional Labor Day honeyhole alone til then.
Just stop responding directly to LFC. Just put him on ignore. There isn't a single thread on this subforum that's been ruined that wasn't ruined by interacting with him. He has zero to add to any discussion except attempted insults and argument.

I had for a time................. But I missed the entertainment value of his ramblings.

Besides that, I wanna always be here for him when he's got rookie questions and wants the advice of a seasoned turkey hunter with years of experience in the woods.
Only advice you two bozOs couldn't offer would be to a total moron.
Originally Posted by LFC
A quick search of your posts reveals no deAd squirrels.....

Next question how does one make tick soup from one lousy tick ?

Does tick soup have more flavor than tAg soup ?

Thanks in advance

I'm still waiting to hear about that tick soup....lol
Posted By: blairvt Re: Summer Tracks - 08/06/22
Here's my new call.

I set it up last night on my property and tested the remote from 100 yards. Works perfectly. Damn, you can crank the volume up really high. If my neighbor hadn't been out and seen what I was doing, I might have teased him with it. He's the one who says there is a coyote in our neighborhood. And there may be. Several people have told me they've seen one. I've only seen foxes.

When I unboxed it, I discovered the remote takes a 12v A23 battery. Never even heard of an A23 battery. Had to run down to Ace Hardare where luckily they had some.
Here's my new call.

Try the crow call with that. Lots of fun
I've tried the distress call and the crow & owl. They both sound very clear and authentic. I'm going to load the barred owl call. I've got several on and around my property at night. Should be interesting.

I'm still impressed with the volume this thing puts out.
Posted By: LFC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/07/22
Did you ever kill a squirrel to go with your one tick this past squirrel season...
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/11/22
I went out this morning to plant my trail cam. On the way in, I found half of a turkey wing feather on the trail. It rained earlier in the morning. I didn't see any turkey or coyote tracks this morning at all. The rain may have washed them away. There were some very fresh deer tracks.

I have no idea what kind of tracks these are. They were about and inch long. Funny thing is, it wasn't a trail of tracks, it was just these three in the middle of a big, wet muddy area.

I have my camera at the bend in a trail where I saw most of the coyote tracks last time I was there. I threw out six pieces of left over fried chicken for bait. So who knows.

I flushed some quail on the way out. This place does seem to have a somewhat decent population of quails.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 08/11/22
Quail would be nice to see. They're all over where I hunt Rios in Texas. But at home they've been extinct since before my lifetime.............
Posted By: pullit Re: Summer Tracks - 08/12/22
I have not seen wild quail in a few years. I do love to eat it, for sure.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/12/22
So that was pretty anti-climactic. I went to retrieve my camera. Two of the pieces of fried chicken had been eaten, with the skin pulled off and not eaten. The other four pieces were untouched. What kind of infernal creature would eat fried chicken and not the skin? Whatever it was must have been low enough not to trigger the camera. I had it set a little high so I could see down the trail. I had the flash turned up and the sensitivity on long range. Nothing. The only pictures I got were when I set it up and when I took it down. And no tracks of any kind on the trail that I had it watching.

However,

After I took my camera down, I decided to walk the trail past the second bend. Lots of deer tracks there. As I am wrapping my strap around my camera, not really paying attention, I look up and vaguely notice something walking in the high weeds to my left going in the same direction as me. It was a big ass skunk. It was like 12 feet away. I don't think it ever saw me. I stopped and it continued on. It started to turn left into the thicket where I flushed three hens a couple of weeks ago. I started making kissy sounds and it stopped, finally saw me, but never got defensive. I pulled out my Glock 19 and took aim I could have nailed it but I decided to let it go. If I see it again after September 1 when they are in season on this state forest, I will. I understand that are very much egg eaters.
I have not seen wild quail in a few years. I do love to eat it, for sure.

We still have them around here, but they are very localized. But if you know where to look, you see and hear them with some regularlity.

When a covey flushes and I wasn't expecting it.

Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 08/12/22
Great pics !!!!

I'm considering trying to re-establish a small population right around the house, here. The habitat is right. It's just the darned predation from above............
I was nice out today. It was 69 degrees and breezy when I got there. Very, very comfortable, except that everything was soaking wet. And wading through the black berry bushes in shorts super-sucked. Good way to toughen the skin on your shins, though.

I didn't see or hear any quail today. People hunt there here in the winter after deer season goes out. Saw lots of crows, though.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 08/13/22
And wading through the black berry bushes in shorts super-sucked. Good way to toughen the skin on your shins, though.

Good way to pick up a tick-borne illness, too. But I ain't your mother............. smirk
Posted By: pullit Re: Summer Tracks - 08/13/22
I hate black berry bushes, I stayed cut up as a kid from picking them (I loved black berry jelly, did not like the seeds in jam) My mom would make me jelly if I picked the berry's so I stayed cut up and covered in tick and chigger bites.

Great pictures of the quail, they are truly beautiful birds
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 08/13/22
I hate black berry bushes, I stayed cut up as a kid from picking them (I loved black berry jelly, did not like the seeds in jam) My mom would make me jelly if I picked the berry's so I stayed cut up and covered in tick and chigger bites.

Yessir !!!!

The hillside back around from the house, here, will look snow-covered in May when the blackberries blossom. Was too dry this summer and didn't even get a handful to taste. Last year me and the Mrs picked 20-some pounds in two evenings. Made a fiver of BEAUTIFUL blackberry wine.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/14/22
Chiggers yes, some. I had some on the lower parts of my lower legs just above my boot tops. But ticks? No. We have not a had a tick problem here this year. I've picked up a single tick all year. Even when wading though the deep grass in NC I have not picked up a tick. Not only don't there seem to be as many ticks, the fire ants have virtually disappeared. Two years ago, looking out across a field in NC, you'd see a dozen or more fire ant mounds. In 2020 I got attacked by fire ants three times stepping on mounds I didn't see in high grass. This year, I can count the number of fire ant mounds I've seen on two hands.

Now, the yellow deer flies and bot flies have been extra fierce. I'm seeing squirrels now with well developed bot fly lumps. I was out in the swamp again yesterday looking at bears. I've noticed a 10-fold increase (it seems) in silk spiders, and dragonflies. You can't walk a trail without one of spider's garrotes strung across a trail snagging your throat. And the spiders, as harmless and pretty as they are, are way bigger than I ever remember them being. They are eating good. God bless 'em. Anything that takes down the yellow deer flies is my friend.

And I heard Bobwhies out in the soybeans, but didn't see any. Love to hear Bobwhites.

The seasons are achanging. It's starting to get dark earlier. I noticed a lot of baitfish schools in the sounds yeasterday. They are balling up as they tend to do as summer begins to wane. I saw the first V of cormarants flying. Bucks antlers are starting to get well devloped. And the black bear diets are starting to turn heavily to berries. Their turds are going from grassy from all the leafy vegetation they've been eating to inky black from all the berrys that are consuming. Fall is coming.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 08/14/22
But ticks? No. We have not a had a tick problem here this year. I've picked up a single tick all year. Even when wading though the deep grass in NC I have not picked up a tick.

You are lucky, indeed !!!

Two kinds of people around here........... Those who've had Lyme disease........and those who are gonna. It's bad. And NOW we've got Alpha Gal and DTV closing in on us. Both of those suck even more than Lyme
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/14/22
I've had Lyme twice. Last time in 2016.

Before that, from a tick in my arm pit after spring turkey hunting.

I am a firm believer in using Deep Woods Off with DEET. It won't stop yellow deer flies, though. I think yellow deer flies think Deep Woods Off is just a honey glazing.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 08/14/22
Yep. It's a thing. Everyone in my house has had it at least once. A couple of us twice.

I'm pretty serious about ticks in turkey season. I went from pants to bibs to minimize the vulnerability at the waistline. I tuck the pantlegs inside my snake boots and then lace up. Both the boots, my jacket and the bibs get a treatment of permethrin. I very rarely sit smack on the ground anymore. But if I think I will be...........then I do DEET on my neck and around my hairline.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/14/22
Y'all need to invest in a can or two of Permanone/Permathrine. Deep Woods OFF isn't half the insect repellant that the Permanone products are. Also, DEET can absolutely wreck certain plastics and the finish on a wooden stock. I first became aware of this years ago while night bass fishing with a bud. We sprayed a little DW OFF on to keep the skeeters in check. Back then I had a fishing rod with a foam type handle and after spraying and rubbing some OFF on my face and neck with my hands I noticed the handle on my rod felt gooey. Examination under a white light revealed that the OFF on my hands had softened the foam handle and literally melted it off where my fingers wrapped around. The next day my friend discovered the plastic screen on his LCR was melted from the over spray of the DW OFF. That screen looked like you held a torch to it, melted plastic running toward the bottom of the unit. And that was just from a spritz of over spray when we applied the OFF to our hats. I have a strong dislike for the stuff and beyond that it isn't as effective as the Permanone products anyway.
Posted By: LFC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/14/22
I've had Lyme twice. Last time in 2016.

Theres the bulls eye he's diffinately got it....all it really does is go in remission. There's no cure for it.

Might be why he lost his hAre
Posted By: LFC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/14/22
You can't tell these bozOs nothing...let them keep getting tick bit.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/15/22
Permathrine is an actual neurotoxic insecticide. It's not good to get it on your skin. When I've used Repel on my clothes, I've still had to us Deep Woods Off on my skin. DWO keeps the ticks and mosquitos off my face and neck and wrists. The trick is to actually use it. And instead of using two different sprays, I just use use DWO. In the fall and winter there's no need to use anything. Even at the beginning of spring turkey season here it's not that necessary. Only in the last half of the season and the spring squirrel season is it a absolute necessity. Out in the fields and swamps in the summer, it's a requirement. DWO has worked exceptionally well for me. Again, the trick is using it. When I've found ticks, it was when I wasn't using it.

Another good repellant that actually feels good on the skin, is DEET free, but works really well and doesn't stink is Avon Skin So Soft. Now they make it with that pepper plant extract that repels ticks and mosquitos as well as DEET but doesn't affect plastic. DEET will eat into some plastics. I was wearing a cheap pair of sunglasses one time and had DEET on my face. Where ever that sunglasses frame touched my face, it left sticky black plastic residue on my face. Hard as fell to get off.

Nothing, however, will stop yellow deer flies. They will bite through anything. Deet, or Repel treated clothing. Bug netting and very loose clothes are the best defense. I've yet to find anything except a physical barrier to the skin to be adequate against yellow deer flies.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Summer Tracks - 08/15/22
Originally Posted by LFC
Theres the bulls eye he's diffinately got it....all it really does is go in remission. There's no cure for it.

It can definitely be cured. A lengthy regimin of Doxycycline will cure it in most people. What can't be cured is the damage it causes. The damage is permanent and cumulative. My sewer guy that keeps my sewage system running has to wear braces on his knees due to the cumaltive effects of Lyme. He's had it more times than he can count. His problem is he waited to long too many times before getting treatment. In my cases, I got treatment as soon as I got the bullseye. Other than the bullseye, and the freaking itch that came with that bite on my back, I never had any symptoms. Still don't have any symptoms attributable to Lyme. If you get a tick bite that starts turning red, get to the urgent care and get a prescription, and go back for a followup when the antibiotics are all used.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Summer Tracks - 08/15/22
Originally Posted by LFC

More worthless dribble and misinformation. Keep displaying your ignorance. We all be laffin' !!!
Posted By: LFC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/15/22
You don't know chit from shinloa.
OK
Just outta curiosity.................. How many times have YOU and the members of YOUR household been treated for Lyme, Dr. Cocks ?? Just curious as to the depth your firsthand experience.
Posted By: LFC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/15/22
How many times have you been treated for ticks on your coOchie girl friend ?
Good one. Keep em coming !!
Posted By: LFC Re: Summer Tracks - 08/17/22
Girl fiends wittle tootie hut....
© 24hourcampfire