Home
Posted By: LFC Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/13/22
Years ago my Yankee buddy came down and hunted with me.....

We went to several spots that morning with no luck so I took my buddy to a spot where I had called and killed several turkeys....
We were dealing with some turkeys that were quite a distance over the property line in a 6 or 80 hundred yard long crop field bottom with about a 100 yards of woods between where I could hunt and the field.....only tree on my side of the the fence this big loan oak tree on this pasture hill side. I don't normally build blinds but in this case I had drug a few logs and brush up around the tree. After some long calling sessions I had called and killed several turkeys there.

The turkeys responded after a while....after a time my buddy started whispering to me...."they're not coming" I said "be quiet and be still"....every time I told him this he either said "they can't see me" or "they can't hear me".

This was working on my nerves big time....

After a time I picked my calls up and whispered "let's go". When we got quite a distance from the spot I stopped turned a round and told him..."if you ever go hunting with me and you do that crap again I'm going to get up and one of us is going to get his azz whipped....If you don't think he's coming what are we doing out here"

He went home and I called and killed a gobbler at that spot the next day.
Good friend of mine has neuropathy, an issue with the nerve ends. He has some trouble getting around and is always cold! I got him up in an area of another buddy's property that historically, I've had pretty good success in. I let out some calls and was rewarded with a gobble not very far away, so we "set up". The tom came around a rock point and was literally only a couple feet away from us, right in front of my friend's gun. The tom just stood there looking around for the hen and I waited for the boom. My buddy was in position, gun shouldered, finger on the trigger, but was just "frozen" in place! I whispered "shoot!", still no boom. The tom is just standing there not 5 feet from us! I say louder, "shoot!", still nothing! Lol! Finally I ask, in a normal voice, if he was going to pull the trigger or not. Finally the tom had enough, kinda walked around and finally walked away, didn't run or fly. My buddy looked at me like WOW! I started laughing! He said he tried to shoot, but nothing happened! Turns out his 870 wasn't in battery. I said we just had all the fun/excitement of turkey hunting and we still have our tags, we can continue to hunt. Later in the day, I could get that tom to reply and come part way in, but not like it did that morning. Not sure how to put into words the look on my buddy's face when he looked at me when the tom finally walked away, it was a Kodak moment for sure! One of many stories that I can bore you with, we have a very good time turkey hunting!
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/13/22
I saw that very thing in Mississippi one fall...I loaned a buddy my 870. This was the last year they allowed rifles /pistols in Mississippi I had a shot with my S&W model 48 .22 magnum pistol but could take it I would've been shooting a foot or two past my buddies head. We just watched him walk off.
Another time, different buddy, same area, new turkey hunter. I went over with him certain scenarios and what I would do depending on what the turkey did and what I hoped my buddy would then do. Went over how I would putt if a tom was in, in the hope of him sticking his head up to see what the putt was about. And that that was the time to pull the trigger.

Called a tom up out of the creek bottom that came on the run! My buddy was maybe 10 to 15 yards in front of me and was using my SP-10. We both heard, and saw, the tom and my buddy was ready. When I putted, the tom stuck his head up as we hoped and my buddy pulled the trigger. A branch right next to the turkey's head dissapeared and the turkey ducked down. I putted again, turkey stuck his head up again, my buddy fired again, another branch dissapeared! Lol! With that, the turkey flew off and my buddy shot a third time and missed again. I started laughing when my buddy turned around to look at me with a huge WTF expression on his face! I'm laughing again now as I'm writing this! I told him, as with my other buddy, that we just had all the fun of turkey hunting and we can continue hunting. His reply was "oh, leave me alone with my misery!" To which I replied "okay, but that was one of the biggest tom's I've ever seen up here!" Haha! I won't repeat what he said back to me! Turns out, a piece of cloth between the eye holes on his mask was blocking his vision. We cut that out and later in the day, he killed a nice tom.

Then there was the time I missed 3 different toms on 3 separate setups! I hit everything but the toms! My buddy's couldn't believe what was going on. Went back to the cabin, set up a target and saw that I was hitting about 3 feet high! Turns out that my new bifocals were the culprit and haven't hunted wearing bifocals since then.
Posted By: pullit Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/14/22
You can miss them more ways than you can dream of if you hunt them long enough...lol
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/15/22
I used to tell folks if you call up a lot turkeys you'll miss a few....
The first year turkeys were fair game behind my house, I set up behind a deadfall as it was the only place I could set up in some shade. I had a tom replying but was on a slight hill above me and he wouldn't peek over. I started cutting real hard and fast with a box call trying to get him fired up and it seemed to be working as he was getting closer. I was looking up the hill when a hen jumped over part of the log and right into my lap! We both let out a squawk that frightened the tom let alone each other. That is the only year I was blanked out back.

Another time, same place except I was on top of the hill. It was about 10:30 and I was a little sleepy. I stretched out on a flat spot next to a tree. Suddenly, something woke me up. Somehow I didn't move anything but my eyelids. Standing next to me, so close all I could see were feet, a little bit of belly, and the tip of the beard, was a tom. I think he actually pecked me which what woke me up!

I didn't move a muscle until he turned and began to walk away. I slowly reached for my gun when I heard another tom begin to make alarm clucks. I grabbed my gun, rolled to a sitting position and too kind he first tom on the run. He had a 13 1/8" beard and took third place at the local turkey contest. He would have placed better but his spurs were broken and it was late in the season and he lost a little weight.
Turkey hunting can be exciting for sure.

My first fall hunt in Tennessee was a county by county draw hunt for one turkey either sex..
I put in for Hardeman county and was drawn. Then I literally knew nothing but what I had read about fall hunting....(written by a girl nAme Of Denise I think)

I got there early.....the farm consisted of about 300 acres. About 60/40 hilly hardwoods with crop field bottoms (4 fields) with a dry creek/ravine dividing the crop fields.

I just hunted slow like i was squirrel hunting....only real difference i was using the hilly terrain to try and stay hidden as i moved......occasionaly I would give out a few yelps on an acrylic trumpet call I had made. Just over the rise a turkey answered....yelp yelp. I immediately sat down and answered and got my shotgun ready. Next thing I knew a hen walked over the hill and bOOm she fell and turkey flew everywhere. I had shot my first fall turkey.
I was kinda excited I think....then hear a turkey yelping. I yelped back a few times they answered and the next thought I had was I better get the hell out of here before I shoot another one. . .limit was one.

The reason I told about this hunt was because really it was a pretty dull hunt compared to most fall hunts I had later.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/15/22
Back in the late 90's, I'd sprained my ankle really bad, and of course it was during the turkey season. I was determined not to let it bother me much, and I could hunt, but I just couldn't move at a fast pace. I was set up in one of my favorite places, along the edge of a ten acre field that was covered in broomsedge, with a farm road that went right through the middle of it. Turkeys really used this spot, and I'd had good luck hunting it.

It was mid-morning, and my ankle was hurting, so I was calling a little, when I spotted some movement at the far end of the field. I could see a gobbler coming towards me down the road. I was watching him make his way using my binoculars, when about halfway across the field I saw a commotion in a thick part of the broomsedge. At first I thought it was another turkey fighting with the one I was watching. But, what happened was that a coyote had ambushed my turkey, killed it, and started down the road going away from me, carrying the turkey.

This happened about 150 yards from me, and I was mad. I decided to go after the coyote and see if I could get a shot, the problem was that I couldn't walk fast, only hobble along. The coyote saw me, but it couldn't go very fast either, as the weight of the turkey was slowing it down. So, I'd cut the distance between us to about a 100 yards, but we were both going about the same speed, the coyote refusing to drop the turkey, and me hobbling as fast I could, just not fast enough.

I chased that coyote across two fields and a woods, before losing him in a heavily wooded area. I'm sure there was a den that it was headed to, and that's why it was hanging onto the turkey, and wouldn't drop it and run. I'm sure that was a sight with a crippled hunter chasing a coyote, hoping to cut the distance down close enough to shoot it because the stole the hunters turkey.
Dang...not the ending I was hoping to hear.

I noticed you're from Kentucky.

Years back I had just gotten my turkey dog puppy name of Buster. A lady from Atlanta Georgia gave him to me fact she drove 500 miles and delivered him to me because she wanted a hunter to have him....I worked with him every day.

Truthfully I thought I was going to have to drive to Virginia to hunt him.

That year word got out that Kentucky was making turkey dogs legal.

By the time Kentucky season opened Buster was 8 months old...I had rode up and checked out several public land locations during late summer.
Clarks River Refuge was the closet one to me and I saw turkeys when I drove around and I checked it out.

Opening day I killed the first legal turkey using a turkey dog in the state of Kentucky on a spot and flush hunt....second day Buster found them on his own in the hardwood river bottoms and after a short time I killed his second turkey.
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/17/22
Maybe GlockheAd will post his spring turkey hunting video it's a winner hands down as the funniest turkey hunting video ever....lol
I was set up, in a dead fall, on the very edge of a very steep, deep, cut looking out at a field that always has good turkey activity. Call, listen, watch, repeat.... more than a few times. Sun started hitting on me, warmed me up nice and started checking my eyelids for pinholes! Lol! Thought I heard something and sat up for a look around... nothing. Suddenly, a tom let's out a gobble right behind me, literally only a couple feet away! It came up the steep bank. I jumped up like I'd been stung by a bee and almost swallowed my call! Haha!

Another time, a buddy and I were walking along a creek bottom headed to a known strutting area. Maybe we sounded like turkeys walking along as a tom lit up on a flat above the creek bottom. We quickly set up and I started scratching and making some soft calls. The tom thundered away but came no closer, staying up on the flat. After a bit, I told my buddy I was going to cross the creek and go up the hill to a dead fall that was close to where the tom was gobbling. When I got to the dead fall, the tom was still going at it and I let out a couple short yelps. I could hear the tom walking around right on the other side of the dead fall. I shouldered my shotgun, as I stood up, ready if needed. As I stood up, the tom started gobbling again. When the tom saw me, still gobbling, it actually made him stutter and he made the funniest, weirdest, sound. I started laughing and could hear my buddy laughing from the creek bottom. Didn't get that tom either, but that's okay too.
LFC, how's the electric bike working out? I keep looking at them...
I got rid of it.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by LFC
Maybe GlockheAd will post his spring turkey hunting video it's a winner hands down as the funniest turkey hunting video ever....lol

You noticed something about my video, did you? Mine had a turkey in it. None of yours do.

So, that's my story. 2nd or 3rd hunt of the spring season, called a tom in, it started towards me, then took to the air, only to be followed by a deer charging in from behind it. True. Caught on video and posted here.

Truth LFC. Not one of your imaginary tales.
Post the video.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/17/22
Why don't you? You posted it on the forum you had to create for youself because you had been banned everywhere else except here. You saw it. You decided to make fun of it not thinking I would see it.

Hey, I just thought of something. If you flipped your screen name around to CFL, that would match Camp Fire Liar.

By the way, Luthey. You've been challenging Yoder for months over who he worked for in the choke tube industry. But you've failed to provide the name of the "one guy" who had a "prostaff" you were on who sent you out one year, without pay, to kill 30 turkeys. (BTW, was that a year you were on disability and people who bought your calls had to send checks to your wife to pay for them?) So, who was the "one guy" that had you on his unpaid "prostaff?" Must have been a real go getter. Because all sorts of individuals have unpaid prostaffs, right?
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/18/22
You know this was a pretty good thread until you showed up with your bull chit and lies....

I baited you here.....and you took it hook line and sinker.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/18/22
You baited me here? Shyt, Luthey, you can't even help but destroy the threads you start. That's how eff'd up you are. No, talking [bleep] about people is your MO. That's why no one takes your seriously anymore, and you aren't welcome on any forums except this one, and the ridiculous forum you had to create for yourself when you got kicked off every other.

Tell us, who was that "one guy" whose "prostaff" you were on that sent you out to kill 30 turkeys one year "unpaid?" Do it. Tell us. You demand the same from Yoder. So you tell us, you hypocrite. And then we'll verify it.

You're a hypocrite. Just like you demanded an apology for being called a liar, but refused to apologize to another member here you called a liar when he proved what you called him a liar for was true.

And by the way, how many turkeys do you claim you've shot? It's like over a 1,000 now, right? 30 in one year, 200 fall birds in 12 years (17 fall birds a year, every year, for 12 years)? And hundreds of others?

You're so full of [bleep] your breathe stinks and your eyes are brown.
Stop by my shop....just get ready to loose an ear I'll put it up next to the bobcat tails.

You want another chance with me....then tell me who is feeding you the lies about me.
Want another chance with you? You really are full of youself, aren't you?

There is a lengthy thread dedicated to just you at Old Gobbler that details your antics. You saying all those people are liars? People that have bought calls from you and had t pay your wife for them. Details on your attacks on fellow call makers on ebay. Dialogues you had with people that never caused you a problem that you denigrated for no reason other than the fact that they were doing something you couldn't do anymore.

Luthey, your reputation is in shambles. And you did it all by yourself. Go look in the mirror. That's the person that has caused all your troubles.
My reputation is in shambles....the guy that started the thread got caught flipping my calls.

There is always two sides to every coin.

I guess that why my calls bring thousands of dollars.

You really don't understand the hate and jealousy in the turkey call making world.
Originally Posted by LFC
You really don't understand the hate and jealousy in the turkey call making world.

Bing fuggin' go. Saved for posterity. Hate and jealousy. No one has treated you the way you've treated them. And now we know why. Thanks for admitting it. May be the first time you've been honest since you've been on this site. You are driven by hate and jealousy.

Now that you admitted it, that's the first step to getting over it.

Thanks.
Who an I jealous of you, Donnie....who ?
You sure screwed up this thread
Originally Posted by LFC

Explains everything.
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

Did I tell you bought me a drone.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/27/22
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

Did I tell you bought me a drone.

In Tennessee, a law (Tenn. Code § 39-13-903) was passed in 2016 related to regulating drone use. It outlined the following: 1) A drone cannot capture an image of an individual or privately owned property with the intent to conduct surveillance.

So you won't be able to fly it over that gay nudist colony, LFC. Hate to burst your bubble.
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/27/22
This thread is about funny turkey hunts we know you have one because you posted it on youtube...

Don't be camera shy glOcksucker
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/27/22
Here's what's funny about my video versus any of yours that you posted on YouTube: mine had a turkey in it.

Oh, but you have a 25 foot long string of turkey spurs. Probably bought them off ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...c=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=turkey+spurs
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/28/22
Haaa haaa....I don’t recall seeing a turkey in the videO
Here you glOcksucker a fitting pair....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3739686629...r=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

A pair with bobble foot deciese for a bobble heAded hunter wanna bee.....
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by LFC
Who an I jealous of you, Donnie....who ?

👆

THIS..........Glocks.........is why you've never seen any published works written by Luther.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Well what have you published Denise....
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/28/22
Look harder.

Oh wait, that's your video. I agree, no bird in it. Or any of your videos. But with you slurping on that half azz stick you stuck in your suck hole, who can blame them. Any turkey that heard that probably thought a dog had just been hit by a car up on the highway. No doubt you had just stepped out of your car.

Back to my video.

Originally Posted by LFC
Haaa haaa....I don’t recall seeing a turkey in the videO

From your stupid "analysis when I posted my video.

Originally Posted by LFC
The gobbler saw you move then started putting.

So you did see it after all. So you are either a liar now or your dementia is kicking in.

Hey Yoder, since "L" in his name doesn't stand for Luther, now we have a pretty good idea what it does stand for.

Originally Posted by LFC
Here you glOcksucker a fitting pair....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3739686629...r=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

A pair with bobble foot deciese for a bobble heAded hunter wanna bee.....

So that is where you bought your spurs. Maybe if you look hard enough on ebay, you can find something to dust off your "trophy" room. Jeez, you ever heard of a vaccuum?
💥💥💥

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

From your stupid "analysis when I posted my video.

Originally Posted by LFC
The gobbler saw you move then started putting.

So you did see it after all.

A putt is noise a gobbler makes.....nOt something you see.

Post your video up and ill give you honest analysis....(I won't hold any punches this time).

Thats a nice video I posted it was the first day of Mississippi turkey season I made it as joke for my buddies wife. You wish you could call like that.....

Tell you what get your camera out and make video of the sound you can get out of sucking on your glOck.
You didn't pull any punches last time, azzhole. Nor did you when you posted my video on your Old Masturbator forum and made fun of it thinking I wouldn't see it.

Now, post a video of you hunting a turkey and calling one in like I did. Waiting. Hypocrite.
And don't forget this gem. Wait, I think you told Yoder you weren't even trying here and that's why it sounded like a squawling mess. Because everyone using a turkey call wants it to sound like something other than a turkey! BTW, even folks over at Old Gobbler mention you didn't know how to call. LOLOLOL.

Now, post up a video of you calling in a turkey.
BTW, how long after you made this video did it take for animal control to show up to scoop the dying dog of the road in front of your house?
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/28/22
And don't forget this gem. Wait, I think you told Yoder you weren't even trying here and that's why it sounded like a squawling mess. Because everyone using a turkey call wants it to sound like something other than a turkey! BTW, even folks over at Old Gobbler mention you didn't know how to call. LOLOLOL.

Now, post up a video of you calling in a turkey.
Fat old Barney Badass gonna kick your butt. Even though he can barely walk ! LOL
Barney Badass...... 🤣🤣🤣
He wants to bite my ear off and has told me to put a gun in my mouth several times. Typically don't hear that sort of thing from stable folks.
I think he probably just wants to nibble on your ear a little.............. blush grin
Speaking of nibbling on your ear... the cabin at turkey camp used to have a mouse problem (all cleaned up now). More than once, you'd wake up at night with them on you. Finally got a door on the place too...lol! It's pretty "rustic".
Leave it to Dean to get things back on track! LOL.

I hate damned mice. My hunting buddy's trailer he had on his land had them. Everything you feel at night makes you kick and slap to get that mouse off you. And it was never a mouse.
The mice weren't as bad as when we were invaded by the red squirrels! Lol! My 30 plus years hunting at my buddy's place by Mauston has just been priceless!
Posted By: pullit Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/28/22
think I would sleep in the car.....lol
Only heat there too, is a wood burning stove. One cold night, the stove pipe fell off and the place filled up with smoke! Wouldn't trade any of it for anything!
Another time, I was set up along a creek bottom, big time turkey travel route to some ag not too far away. Not much was happening, I was thinking about a possible move when I heard movement off to my left. Slowly, very slowly, I started to turn my head. I move my eyes as far as they'll go, and then slowly turn my head. I saw my very good friend slowly making his way along the pasture fence, heading in my direction. I waited until he was trying to step over a downed tree and as he was, I cut loose with the loudest, most excited, turkey calling I could muster from my diaphram call! Just about spit the thing out of my mouth calling so hard! Lol! Got him good and we still laugh about it to this day. At the time though, he did question my heritage and our friendship! Lol!
Posted By: pullit Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/29/22
bet he about crapped himself on that one
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/29/22
Lucky he didn't pop a cap at him.....
I have a real funny turkey hunt it envolves one of DonnybOys big time callmaking legends calls and also another one that copied the legendary "Pond Call"......

Donny will be mad I'm sure.....

Stay tuned can't make this chit up folks.
I was well tucked into a deadfall and not worried about that. Plus, the guys I hunt with identify their target first.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by LFC
I have a real funny turkey hunt it envolves one of DonnybOys big time callmaking legends calls and also another one that copied the legendary "Pond Call"......

Donny will be mad I'm sure.....

Stay tuned can't make this chit up folks.

You can, and you probably will.
Most hunters do....until they don't.
Been hunting with him for over 30 years. Turkey, deer, dove, crow shooting, squirrel, coyote, even pig down south. Never a concern, not once, ever. But of course you'll take exception to that, and you should. Go with what you know.
In fact, our wives tease that we should have gotten married, to which he quickly replies, now why would we want to ruin a perfectly good relationship! Lol!
Dean you been looking for a fight with me since I showed up....

Hunting Accidents happen every year.....I know of two bothers that had hunted together for years one of them shot the other one spring turkey hunting.
I've never tried to start up with you, not once. But you on the other hand...

And yes, hunting accidents do happen every year, too many of them in fact! I related something that happened on a turkey hunt between me and a very good, trusted, friend. I would never had done that to/with anyone else.
Originally Posted by LFC
Dean you been looking for a fight with me since I showed up....

Damn, you try and pick a fight with eveyone. I guess internet fighting is safe for you. Probably got you ass stomped regularly as a kid.
You started the cat fight thread....
Only because it spills over into every other thread there is here. Was only trying to concentrate it.
That ain't worked out too good now has it
Originally Posted by LFC
That ain't worked out too good now has it

That's quite a commentary on youself. You never cease to let the truth slip out.
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/30/22
Post the video glOcksucker....
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/30/22
Fugg you, LFC boy. Post a video of you calling in a turkey like I did. Coward.
Post a video of you calling in a turkey, LFC. Go ahead. You're the GoPro kind. Given how successful you are, you must have loads of 'em. Now post your video up. Go ahead.
I don't do videos of hunts....the videos I did just playing around with my cell phone.
Fugg you, LFC boy. Post a video of you calling in a turkey like I did. Coward.
If you called a turkey in it was out of curiosity.....don't get mad at me you made the gOofy video.
Originally Posted by LFC
If you called a turkey in it was out of curiosity.....

Uh, yeah.

Don't get mad at me because I have a video of me calling in a turkey and you don't. Unless you do, of course. If you do, don't keep being a hypocrite. Post it, Any video of you calling in a turkey. I did it. Now you do it. We've all heard your insanely dreadful calling. Show us that sort of screaching works.

You're quite the critic. So step up and do what you demand of others. LOL. Do it.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/30/22
We've all heard your insanely dreadful calling. Show us that sort of screaching works.

🙉 🙉 🙉
Originally Posted by LFC
I don't do videos of hunts....the videos I did just playing around with my cell phone.

Of course you don't. How convenient.

See anything here you want to add to your "trophy" collection?

https://www.ebay.com/b/wild-turkey-spurs/bn_7024742352
You two could tell us about hunt.....I think I get it.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by LFC
You two could tell us about hunt.....I think I get it.

I could tell "us" about a LOT of funny hunts. But the YOU part of "us" insert your turd-flavored comments into the discussions everyone else starts.

I don't feel too compelled to add much to your discussion.
This was a fall hunt with my turkey dog at Fort Cambell Kentucky military base....I don't recall the area number.

A fellow from Virginia had came to hunt with me and Buster a few days....he had been asking him to make him a box call for several years. I didn't know when or if I would ever get around to it so I suggested that he get a Turpin copy from Irving Whit...I had seen that Whit had made some exact copies of a an original Tom Turpin box that this collector owned and they lOoked really nice.

When Earl and I met up at the hotel he couldn't wait to show me his new boxes....he had bought three of them. I don't really like to critique another callmakers work but Earl insisted I give him my thoughts.

I told him to play them....then I stroked all 3....I remarked that you might get by hunting with this one.

Next morning we were at our area and we worked the roads trying to locate a flock (get them to talk) while they were on the roost....no such luck.

After a time we took out walking it was time for Buster to do his thing.....a short time later about two hundred yards ahead of us Buster cut loose barking and squealing. We got up with Buster and he helped us find the flush site.

It was a long set....we had few turkeys answer and a couple that came in silent that we didn't get a shot at. After several hours my azz was getting sore and I suggested we go get something to eat....

We couldn't get signed into a different area so we came back to finish out the day.....I wasn't too keen on this area because there was a lot of hidden razor wire in the area.

I kept Buster leashed as we walked in I told Earl he could '''help me out with the calling some this afternoon if he wanted to".

I moved about 100 yards west of our initial stand....there was a small filled in pond in the woods I saw a nice spot with two trees with a foot tall log to set up Buster behind with the pond at our backs. I told Earl we're going to sit here....I told Earl pick you out a tree about 20 or 30 yards to the west I'll stand right here until you're situated so well be sure no one gets in a line of fire.

Earl took a little while he finally sat down.....I was still standing before I said down I pulled out my Maple and Ebony box call and hit her a lick...a turkey immediately answered back I called again and they were closer I figured I best get ready....I sat down called again and they were coming....I popped my diaphragm call in and started working them over pretty good there was two of them and they were moving a little west of me towards Earl just out of sight. I'm thinking Earl is going to get the shot.

About that time Earl hit his new Whit box call....the turkeys did an about face and were leaving town....I tried to turn them around to no avail they kept talking while getting further and further away.

After a time the light is fading....I stand up and whistle. Earl see me and gathers his things up....as I'm standing there I'm thinking I ought tell Earl that pond would be a dam good place for that box call....when he got over to me I didn't do it.

When Earl gets over to I asked him....why did you start calling on that box dang thing sounded like a gOose.

Earl pulled the call out of his vest looked at it and pitched it over his shoulder into the pond.....I laughed and told him that's what I was thinking he should do with it....I remember telling Earl you should have could have sold to a Yankee they wouldn't know the difference.

We had good laugh....went and ate supper at Richard Hudsons house had a few laughs about the hunt.

Two days later we were forced back into that area....we fished the call out of the pond and Earl gave the "pond call" to Richard Hudson and a box call maker was bOrn
Posted By: TD5427 Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 09/30/22
What ever happened to Earl? Used to see both his and Silvestris’ names on the forums quite often but Earl dropped out of sight. I often wondered if he just got tired of the forums like a lot of the early guys did or if he may have passed away.
Not sure.
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 10/02/22
You don't think that hunt was funny Yoder.....

It included a premonition of a guy throwing a box call in a pOnd.....

Within minutes of me thinking I should tell him that pond would be a good place for that box call.

He actually thows the box call into pond.

Is it a Premonition or Precognition ?

A day later it is fished out of the pond.

Then it's given to a guy that yOu keep referencing as some sUper cAllmaker.

Then he copies the call for his very his first bOx call and a box callmaker is hAtched.

I think it's pretty dang funny myself.....

Guess you would just have to have been there Donnie.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 10/02/22
I guess I would have had to read whatever it was you posted..............
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 10/04/22
Originally Posted by LFC
This was a fall hunt with my turkey dog at Fort Cambell Kentucky military base....I don't recall the area number.

A fellow from Virginia had came to hunt with me and Buster a few days....he had been asking him to make him a box call for several years. I didn't know when or if I would ever get around to it so I suggested that he get a Turpin copy from Irving Whit...I had seen that Whit had made some exact copies of a an original Tom Turpin box that this collector owned and they lOoked really nice.

When Earl and I met up at the hotel he couldn't wait to show me his new boxes....he had bought three of them. I don't really like to critique another callmakers work but Earl insisted I give him my thoughts.

I told him to play them....then I stroked all 3....I remarked that you might get by hunting with this one.

Next morning we were at our area and we worked the roads trying to locate a flock (get them to talk) while they were on the roost....no such luck.

After a time we took out walking it was time for Buster to do his thing.....a short time later about two hundred yards ahead of us Buster cut loose barking and squealing. We got up with Buster and he helped us find the flush site.

It was a long set....we had few turkeys answer and a couple that came in silent that we didn't get a shot at. After several hours my azz was getting sore and I suggested we go get something to eat....

We couldn't get signed into a different area so we came back to finish out the day.....I wasn't too keen on this area because there was a lot of hidden razor wire in the area.

I kept Buster leashed as we walked in I told Earl he could '''help me out with the calling some this afternoon if he wanted to".

I moved about 100 yards west of our initial stand....there was a small filled in pond in the woods I saw a nice spot with two trees with a foot tall log to set up Buster behind with the pond at our backs. I told Earl we're going to sit here....I told Earl pick you out a tree about 20 or 30 yards to the west I'll stand right here until you're situated so well be sure no one gets in a line of fire.

Earl took a little while he finally sat down.....I was still standing before I said down I pulled out my Maple and Ebony box call and hit her a lick...a turkey immediately answered back I called again and they were closer I figured I best get ready....I sat down called again and they were coming....I popped my diaphragm call in and started working them over pretty good there was two of them and they were moving a little west of me towards Earl just out of sight. I'm thinking Earl is going to get the shot.

About that time Earl hit his new Whit box call....the turkeys did an about face and were leaving town....I tried to turn them around to no avail they kept talking while getting further and further away.

After a time the light is fading....I stand up and whistle. Earl see me and gathers his things up....as I'm standing there I'm thinking I ought tell Earl that pond would be a dam good place for that box call....when he got over to me I didn't do it.

When Earl gets over to I asked him....why did you start calling on that box dang thing sounded like a gOose.

Earl pulled the call out of his vest looked at it and pitched it over his shoulder into the pond.....I laughed and told him that's what I was thinking he should do with it....I remember telling Earl you should have could have sold to a Yankee they wouldn't know the difference.

We had good laugh....went and ate supper at Richard Hudsons house had a few laughs about the hunt.

Two days later we were forced back into that area....we fished the call out of the pond and Earl gave the "pond call" to Richard Hudson and a box call maker was bOrn

I told it just for yOu Donny
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 10/04/22
Meh..........

Not really interested in much of your drivel, Luther. I think I read your first one. Wasn't much to hold my interest let alone make me laugh.

Go tell it to someone who finds you relevant.
Sure you didn't read it Donny bOy
I didn't.

Weren't you listening ?? I read the first one you posted as a "funny turkey hunt" and saw no humor in it at all. Your sense of humor is (obviously) different than mine. AND your writing skills are definitely lacking. So that was a minute of my life I'll never get back. Not making that mistake again. I don't give a schidt what your stories are.
Donny bOy is mAd....
Not at all.

Just bored with your irrelevance, stupidity and lack of contribution.
Donny there's a moral to that story.....trouble is you cant see the forest for that big azz heAd of yours.
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 10/05/22
Donny there is more info in that hunting story than you have contributed in your entire time on this forum.
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 10/27/22
Show us your post that proves me wrong YoderbOy.
I guess this can be funny... in a way...

My buddy that owns the property up by Mauston brought a neighbor with one time. My buddy asked me to go with him as he was a new turkey hunter. I knew him, decent enough guy and at the time was a LEO in the town next to where I grew up. Went over a few things with him, demonstrated some different calls for him to familiarize himself with and off we went. First couple set-ups we had responses to calling, but nothing to show for it. Later in the day, we ended up on a field edge in a great strutting area. Did some calling... nothing. In a bit, did some more calling... nothing again. We sat there softly talking and enjoying a beautiful day. I then noticed hens starting to come out into the field on the very far edge from us, there was a bunch of them. And they were being followed by a group of toms. I told him that I was going to start some very aggressive calling and that if any of the toms broke off and headed our way, what I was going to do and what I hoped he'd do. Well, a couple toms did break off and headed our way. Strutting, and gobbling, as they worked their way ever closer. When the birds were still about 60 yards away, all of the sudden this guy starts shooting at them! You could tell the birds were getting hit by the way they acted and the feathers coming off, but nothing fatal. They quickly turned and started getting away from there, as did the others. Then the guy jumps up, both arms over his head holding the shotgun and starts running across the field after the birds! Lol! Very quickly he was all alone standing out in the middle of the field. He turned and started walking back towards me with his head hung low. When he got closer he asked me, too far? I laughed and said yes, too far. I asked him did you hear me putt? See the birds stick their heads up? He said I guess I blew it! I told him no problem, plenty of places to still hunt at and that we just had all the fun and excitement of turkey hunting and can still hunt. He said no, I'm done! With that he literally walked back to the cabin, packed up and left. I shrugged my shoulders, went to a different area and killed a bird!
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 10/28/22
Lol...and this guy's protecting our streets.
Kinda what I was thinking too...
Posted By: pullit Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 10/28/22
Bang bang...."stop or will shoot"....lol
Posted By: LFC Re: Funny turkey hunts.... - 11/05/22
If I was a cop today that's what I'd do.
© 24hourcampfire