Home
Posted By: Nessmuk Waterproof box calls? - 01/30/23
How does it do it?
Can it be done to other calls?
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Waterproof box calls? - 01/30/23
Not quite sure what you mean, how does it do it? How do they make it "water proof"? On a waterproof box call, the friction points are painted. The bottom side of the paddle and the top edges of the rails are painted with some kind of hard paint, then roughed a bit with a scotch brite pad or fine sand paper. Done properly, where all the wood is laquered and then the friction points painted, you can come up with a box call that will work reasonably well wet.

Can you do it to other calls? Like, can you turn a non-waterproof call into a waterproof call? I suppose you can. Not sure why you'd want to. There are few waterproof box calls on the market. The Primos Waterboard is a well done call that sounds very, very good.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Waterproof box calls? - 01/31/23
Yes, how to make other calls waterproof. I wonder if it is a special paint.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Waterproof box calls? - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
Yes, how to make other calls waterproof. I wonder if it is a special paint.

It's Rustoleum chalkboard paint. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Waterproof box calls? - 01/31/23
Cool to know:)
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Waterproof box calls? - 01/31/23
Might be fun to take a box call and give it a whirl
Posted By: paboxcall Re: Waterproof box calls? - 02/01/23
Carry a WoodsWise waterproof short box if hunting inclement weather.

Was a little rough sounding first out of the package, but a very light touch up with green scotchbrite and it now has a great yelp.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Waterproof box calls? - 02/01/23
Yeah.................. It's pretty amazing how GOOD a box can sound sometimes, having that waterproofing paint on it. I've got one in particular that's KILLER !!!
Posted By: TD5427 Re: Waterproof box calls? - 02/01/23
Have you run them wet or damp vs. dry and did you notice a drop off in sound quality or reliability? Never heard one of them run either way.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Waterproof box calls? - 02/01/23
Generally, the chalk gets wet and calls don't work. You have to chalk the lid surface that rub against the box.
Posted By: TD5427 Re: Waterproof box calls? - 02/01/23
I had assumed from it being called waterproof that it was a surface that would run without chalk. Doesnโ€™t that defeat the whole purpose and claim of being waterproof?
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Waterproof box calls? - 02/01/23
The waterproof version doesn't use chalk. The original style does.
I must have misread your post, I thought you didn't have experience with either type.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Waterproof box calls? - 02/01/23
I've run my Penns Woods Waterproof Wizard while hunting in the rain and it sounds very good damp or dry. I've never hunted spring turkey in driving rain, but have hunted them in gentle rain. I'm sitting under a tree with a poncho on and pulling the call out to work it, or have it out while I'm walking about trying to find a bird. The call isn't getting soaked, but its getting wet enough that using a chalked box call would be unwise.

My Penns Woods and my Primos Waterboard sound every bit as good as, say, my Lynch calls or other Primos box calls. I see no disadvantage to having painted sounding surfaces instead of chalked. I wouldn't leave my Penns Woods home in favor of a different call on a dry day.
© 24hourcampfire