Home
Posted By: Double_Aught Turkey call kits - 03/02/23
Curious if anyone on here has tried putting together any of the pre turned pot call kits from brookside or elsewhere? I went ahead and ordered a couple to mess with and hope I can make turkey sounds with at least one. Would love to see some pictures or hear if anybody has put them together that sound decent.
Posted By: pullit Re: Turkey call kits - 03/02/23
I bought some slates from them and turned my own pots. It was fun but really not worth the time or effort.
Posted By: hawkeye58 Re: Turkey call kits - 03/03/23
I did. It was a fun project.

All three calls would bring in a turkey. I used Goop adhesive but would try the E6000 next time.

I am very pleased with the small three inch copper call. It seems special. I must have gotten lucky.

The Black-N-Tan-Macassar Ebony stiker I got from them is my favorite striker I own. Sounds great on any surface call I have.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Double_Aught Re: Turkey call kits - 03/04/23
Hawkeye, that’s exactly what i was hoping to hear! Those are some good looking calls and definitely special making them yourself.
Posted By: pullit Re: Turkey call kits - 03/04/23
There was nothing wrong with them so please don't take it that way at all.
I enjoyed making them but by the time you bought the slate, the finish for the wood, the glues and the material to make/turn the pot and striker from, you could buy a pot call ready to go.
I enjoyed the whole process and have a call made from some nice figured wood. All the extra care I took trying to make sure everything was perfect, I really was hoping for a call that would set the birds on fire, but to be 100% honest it was just ok.
I still have a few pieces of slate and maybe a glass disk as well. I still have some purple heart striker dowels as well.
Posted By: Double_Aught Re: Turkey call kits - 03/04/23
I understand that! I don't expect to make something extraordinary out of a kit by any means. Mainly just something to tinker around with until the season comes in and I think it would be cool to put one together and maybe even call a bird in with it. I appreciate your input on it and understand where you’re coming from though.
Posted By: shaman Re: Turkey call kits - 03/04/23
I've used these guys quite a bit:

https://www.shipleysoutdoors.com/
© 24hourcampfire