Home
I hate that every bird, no matter the specieis, is a hormone-driven azzhole - especially the Blue Birds. God damned Blue Birds not only fight their own reflections in anything they can see their reflectio in, but shyt while they're doing it. It's that time of year when I have to put bags and rubber bands around all my sideview mirrors and cover all the windows on all my cars. On top of that, they sit on, and shyt on, the plastic owls I put out. Little Blue bastards.

Is a 12 gauge 3 1/2" load of #5 enough medicine for a Blue Bird?

Made the mistake of thinking a few hours uncovered would be okay.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
ticks.......
Wrong weather forecasts.
And May heat and humidity.
That I don’t get to hunt enough…especially when they’re being tough and it takes a few sets to get on a bird that wants to play the game.
Sleep deprivation
The end of it...
Originally Posted by TRnCO
ticks.......

To me, that's just a part of it. I've tested positive for Lyme's multiple times, been on the antibiotic regimine, get tested every year for it. I take precautions, spray my clothes, even wear a rhino suit if the ticks are bad enough... but sometimes...
Waiting for the start
Guy who parks next to you, gets out and hear the bird gobbling, runs out the ridge, slides down the hillside to wear you are waving at them, and asks you "you gonna hunt that bird?"
Them damn buffalo gnats and no-seeums!

And wind, ticks and hot weather.
Getting up so damn early! And it gets even earlier as the season goes on!

Mackey.
That it only comes once a year and lasts AT MOST 2 1/2 months.
Fine. Ill say it. I HATE gobblers that don't want to gobble.
I had a fiance that told me "Love is perverse; it can be beautiful, but it won't." A few weeks later, she dropped me.

The weather during turkey season is just that kind of perverse, at least in NE Kentucky. It can be snow and 33F or 80F and a thunderstorm.
Ticks
it is a toss up between ticks and chiggers, or starting the day out dresses for cold and by 10 o'clock having to peal down and apply bug spray....
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
The end of it...

^^^^This!^^^^

Not having a hunting buddy anymore.
Ticks and snakes.
Haven't had a chigger problem though there are plenty around.
Freakin' buffalo g-nats! Them thangs is nasty!

A silent tom! LOL!

A picture perfect morning with no gobbles! 😖
I only hate the spring season. Too hot and too many black flies. The fall season is nice. Cool temps, brilliant fall colors and no damn black flies ! I much prefer the fall for hunting anything.
Depending on what the weather is like in the spring up here, it's either still snowing or it can be warm and the mosquitos will just about carry you away. But whatever it is, I'll happily put up with it!
Here in Virginia, the opening can be very cold, all day, sometimes freezing in the morning. Near the end of the season in May, the mornings are mild, and it can get downright hot by noon, and the humidty is kicking in. I've left the woods soaked in sweat in May.
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Here in Virginia, the opening can be very cold, all day, sometimes freezing in the morning. Near the end of the season in May, the mornings are mild, and it can get downright hot by noon, and the humidty is kicking in. I've left the woods soaked in sweat in May.
Our season doesn't open till May and it sucks.
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Depending on what the weather is like in the spring up here, it's either still snowing or it can be warm and the mosquitos will just about carry you away. But whatever it is, I'll happily put up with it!
Turks just ain't worth much suffering to me. If they weighed 200 lbs and had antlers it might be different.
As someone stated earlier, sleep deprivation.
Not so much anymore because I’ve cut most of it out. I won’t hunt in rain or high winds. Snow is ok. I don’t sit on the ground any more because I about killed a house dog with the ticks I’ve carried home. I have a 2lb small, collapsible “lawn chair” that sits very low but is comfortable, and between that and spraying, I’ve cut out 90% of the ticks.

I don’t out in the early-dark anymore either. I hunt public land and I know the area very well and where to sit, so I go out about midmorning, set up, and cold-call. The area has big, steep ravines but I stay on top as the birds seem much more apt to come up to you rather than go down to you. And I don’t have to climb down and then up again which is especially good this year as I will be 2 months post-new knee. If I don’t get any action within an hour and a half, I may move and set up again one more time that day. The area is full of turkeys.

Prefer cool, early 1st season, mid-April in Iowa with little or no foliage and no bugs yet. I like visibility. It’s only four days but usually get a big eastern in that span.

I do hate carrying lots of crap around though. My 3 decoys are inflatable/collapsible and along with my chair fit snugly in a day pack. Two collapsible hiking sticks round out my gear. They also double as shooting sticks if I desire.
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

I've hunted in all kinds of weather here in sw Oklahoma.
I've called in turkeys while it was sleeting and when it was coming a flood. I've hunted when we had to beat the ice off the lock to get in the gate and had sweat running down into my eyes.
Shivering like a dog passing peach seeds to turning my face mask around because of the buffalo gnats.
All of us that have hunted these birds for any length of time have seen a lot of different circumstances!
For ticks gamehide has elimitick clothing in camo, no bug spray needed works great.
For ticks gamehide has elimitick clothing in camo, no bug spray needed works great. Doesn't help with knats and mosquitoes though.
Work
Nothing, like it, Whipperwills are tearing it up in central Texas. We must be on a main flyway.
When it gets above 70 degrees.
Ticks, getting up at 3:00AM and it being hot most of the time.
That I'm so out of shape from winter that carrying a moderate amount of gear kills me.

I'm still a slave to decoys and a little fence blind and I pack a lunch for the all day hunt. Things get heavy fast.
trespassers
In exactly a month, it will be opening day of turkey season in Oregon, where I used to hunt them. God is paying me back. I heard a gobbler earlier today and called in a couple birds, just messing around:

This one was interested in what I was doing. Measuring groups from a Z challenge I shot with my Ruger 10-22.. I hate it that I'm not hunting them this year!!!! Damn..
© 24hourcampfire