Home
Just FYI anybody in that area it’s Bass Pro Shop, Concord Mills. Had a dozen or so #5. Out the door was $26.74 so not too bad. Now between closing on our house and buying another I just might get to try them. Also a few 3 1/2” #5 $31.99 plus tax.
Thanks for passing it on.

I thought turkey ammo supply was getting better now
I picked up 6 boxes of 3" LB #5's for $100 a couple of months ago... private sale...
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I picked up 6 boxes of 3" LB #5's for $100 a couple of months ago... private sale...

Honky
Our local gun store is jammed crammed with everything. Guns in boxes with no racks to display them. Ammo everywhere. Even saw some Reloader series and Vihtavuori powders. Stuffs backing up from high prices and the drain on family budgets.

Walmart has all kinds of Remington Nitro and Winchester Longbeard ammo also.

Car lots here are full of new cars and trucks also. Bring on the pain........
I picked up another box of Longbeard XR 3" #5 the other day. Noticed the price was $3 higher than the same shells with #4 and #6 shot due the new commemorative box #5s came in.
I bought several boxes of 3in LB #5 several years ago. Still have plenty left. I did however see some on a shelf a couple weeks ago. Didn't need them so I left without them.
Originally Posted by shootem

Honky

LOL!

Do you realize how long it's been since I've heard that?!
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Honky

LOL!

Now it’ll be the rage
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Honky

LOL!

Now it’ll be the rage

Sure will honky.
3.5 # 6,s is what I like.
4 walmarts in town

# 4,s and # 5,s is what they only carry in 3.5
And a major wally world regional distribution center just off I 24

Scored 2 boxes at the PX on FTCKY couple months ago.
Use Rem 3.5 #5 nitro as back up shell.
Haven't needed # 2 to shoot 1 bird.
Boot heel head crusher stomp with a leg grab cling and jerk to stop the curly shuffle..

Only 1 bird limit on FTCKY this year.
2 bird limit in TN now...
Season been backed up on both 2 weeks to April 15 and pushed back 2 weeks on the back side.
Those late season Tom's should be lonely.

Geuss they realized too many Tom's been getting killed before hens are even ready to breed.
Only took em a decade plus to figure that out..

Throw in all the black oil sunflower seed and corn piles the "Champs" on private and public lands kill birds off of....
Can't take doubles on Ftcky since 6 or 7yrs ago.

Limits have dropped from 4 FTCKY and 4 TN.

At least pushing back the season 2 weeks should allow more Tom's to breed insted of being killed early and it should help hunting and brood #,s over the next 3 to 5 yrs.

They need to make these new season dates permanent.
Originally Posted by renegade50
4 walmarts in town

Boot heel head crusher stomp with a leg grab cling and jerk to stop the curly shuffle..

Season been backed up on both 2 weeks to April 15 and pushed back 2 weeks on the back side.

Geuss they realized too many Tom's been getting killed before hens are even ready to breed.

Throw in all the black oil sunflower seed and corn piles the "Champs" on private and public lands kill birds off of....

At least pushing back the season 2 weeks should allow more Tom's to breed insted of being killed early and it should help hunting and brood #,s over the next 3 to 5 yrs.

I don't understand using 3" and 3.5" ammo and #4 and #5 shot.
Bern killing turkeys for years with plain Jane old 2.75" with 1 1/8 oz of #8s.
Oh well! To each his own.

Oklahoma "Spring Turkey" always opened on April 6th. It nearly always hit sometime during the "rut" when gobblers could be called in relatively easy and the limit was 3.
Several years back, some sort of avian pox, virus, scabby mocus or something moved through the area and devastated the turkey population.
Oklahoma moved the season opening to April 16th and reduced the limit to 1.
The opening date moved season away from any chance where turkeys might easily be called in.

It's working. The turkeys are slowly returning.
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
4 walmarts in town

I don't understand using 3" and 3.5" ammo and #4 and #5 shot.
Bern killing turkeys for years with plain Jane old 2.75" with 1 1/8 oz of #8s.
Oh well! To each his own.

Oklahoma "Spring Turkey" always opened on April 6th. It nearly always hit sometime during the "rut" when gobblers could be called in relatively easy and the limit was 3.
Several years back, some sort of avian pox, virus, scabby mocus or something moved through the area and devastated the turkey population.
Oklahoma moved the season opening to April 16th and reduced the limit to 1.
The opening date moved season away from any chance where turkeys might easily be called in.

It's working. The turkeys are slowly returning.

In case you never noticed I really DGAF about any of your "subject matter expert" contraian post on any forum.

That's your gig on here...

Dead Tom's
Spent 2.75 shells
SG

Surely from all your years of slaying toms.
You have some " pics or it never happened" you can share pics of dead Tom's, other than the decoy image in your avatar.

Hell you can even post em on the " pics or it never happened" thread on the Gen forum I started last turkey season.
Alot more members will see em that way.

Think that thread was up to around 210k veiws.
Lotta north American big game pics on it.
100,s of members shared for others to veiw.

Wait one I will go find the link in case you never seen that tread on the Gen forum ( uh huh)

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
My bad....
It was fall turkey hunting when I started the thread.
Lose track of posting " pics or it never happened" at times...

My 1st foray into fall turkey because FTCKY pushed back opener of deer season last year.

Which reminds me ..
Deer season
Do you have any " pics or it never happened" of dead deer Mr Martinstrummer????
I killed 2 nice bucks last fall.
Mayhaps you seen those " pics or it never happened" threads also???

Maybe I can redeem myself this spring turkey season...

2022 was blown for me due to wife health issues.
No biggie..
Have killed plenty of turkeys and posted plenty of " pics or it never happened" per dead Toms threads.
Even pics of Tom's coming in and soon to be dead..

Many Many times....

Maybe I can totally redeem myself this fall before deer season.
And shake off the fall turkey rookie curse.
My bane was a 2.5 to 3 month drought in ref to finding birds and open hunting areas...
Gotta give it a go this fall again👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...alls-invited-to-participate#Post17701874

Ankle biters invited also...
👍🏻🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
My bad....
It was fall turkey hunting when I started the thread.
Lose track of posting " pics or it never happened" at times...

My 1st foray into fall turkey because FTCKY pushed back opener of deer season last year.

Which reminds me ..
Deer season
Do you have any " pics or it never happened" of dead deer Mr Martinstrummer????
I killed 2 nice bucks last fall.
Mayhaps you seen those " pics or it never happened" threads also???

Maybe I can redeem myself this spring turkey season...

2022 was blown for me due to wife health issues.
No biggie..
Have killed plenty of turkeys and posted plenty of " pics or it never happened" per dead Toms threads.
Even pics of Tom's coming in and soon to be dead..

Many Many times....

Maybe I can totally redeem myself this fall before deer season.
And shake off the fall turkey rookie curse.
My bane was a 2.5 to 3 month drought in ref to finding birds and open hunting areas...
Gotta give it a go this fall again👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...alls-invited-to-participate#Post17701874

Ankle biters invited also...
👍🏻🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

LOL…I mean laffin😂😂…that burr went right up under the saddle finally
Did I upset someone? 🤔

renegade50

.....as for your "pics or it didn't" happen?
I really couldn't care less.

Blame the site manager. Of the other several sites I visit, this is the only site that makes posting photos a giant PITA.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Uh huh....
So you visit other sites and drop pics but can't here because it is so "complex" here..

Huh..🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣
I visit other sites and drop " pics or it never happened" with ease just like on here...
Must be a problem specific to you..🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣

Hey!!! Just got a idea!!!
Link us " pics or it never happened" of your pics from those other sites you can post " pics or it never happened" on
That is pretty easy to do!!!

None of us have never heard how hard it is to use postimage or imgur either as the alibi to not drop " pics or it never happened" on here either.🤣🤣🤣

Both totally bypassing Bins pic posting process with ease.
Nope never have heard that from anyone as their excuse.
"Bins image hosting is too difficult"
(Hint... don't use it)
🤣🤣🤣🤣
But yet you found a way to download a pic to hang a avatar.
All thru your device or computer....
Go figure......🤣🤣🤣

Plenty of step by step tutorial threads have been made up on the Gen forum how to do either postimage or imgur....
Step by step with detailed and easy to understand pictures, simplified terms and highlights pointing it all out.
Step by step.
Ain't even gotta join postimage.
Don't know about imgur, never have used it.
Probably along the same lines as postimage.

Clicks , and copying a image code are hard.
Then paste on here is even more difficult...
🤣🤣🤣

Plenty of step by step threads on how to post " pics or it never happened " have been put up on here by many members.

You have never seen those threads either I'm guessing also.

"Pics or it never happened" = Kyptonite spin and deflect.....
🤣🤣🤣
Did I upset someone? 🤔

renegade50

.....as for your "pics or it didn't" happen?
I really couldn't care less.

Blame the site manager. Of the other several sites I visit, this is the only site that makes posting photos a giant PITA.

Uh huh......
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
So basically......

" pics or it never happened" = Kyptonite....

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
From 3" turkey ammo to posting pics?

Where you going next?
COVID-19 origins?
Trump's guilt? ...innocence?
BATFE 2A infringments?
DeSantis or Trump?
The price of eggs at WalMart?

Dude, get a grip!

I don't care if you shoot an 8 gauge with a half pound of #1 buck. I just don't think all that powder and big shot is necessary just to kill a turkey! 🤷‍♂️
Nor do I think five to ten dollar a shot ammo is necessary to kill a turkey. People kill turkeys with a .410, why shoot 3.5" #4's? It isn't necessary.
Last turkey I killed was with a 16 gauge, high brass #7.5 shell I dug out of a garbage can over 30 years ago!
Thankfully, this stuff is want, not need. At least I hope it's want here and not need. And the sky's the limit if you want... or don't want! If you want to use whatever shell, good for you and have at it. If you want to wear whatever camo or boots, good for you and have it. Calls, decoys, pop-up blind... knock your socks off. If you want to post pics... or not, whatever! We truly are our own worse enemies sometimes.... You want to post your opinion as fact, whatever the opinion is... please don't. Share information, experiences and results... please do.

I stop at a place in Lomira, WI called Midwest Shooters Supply. They're pretty well stocked with all kinds of shotshells for just about every shotgun need, target and whatever sport. Of course, all of it isn't as cheap as it used to be. And unfortunately, the BPS by me has turned into more of a garment store than an outdoor store with a lot of empty spaces where hunting stuff used to be. But I stopped going to BPS and Cabela's a while ago, so maybe that's changed.

My seasons don't start until the first week of May... seams like a long way off!
From 3" turkey ammo to posting pics?

Where you going next?
COVID-19 origins?
Trump's guilt? ...innocence?
BATFE 2A infringments?
DeSantis or Trump?
The price of eggs at WalMart?

Dude, get a grip!

I don't care if you shoot an 8 gauge with a half pound of #1 buck. I just don't think all that powder and big shot is necessary just to kill a turkey! 🤷‍♂️
Nor do I think five to ten dollar a shot ammo is necessary to kill a turkey. People kill turkeys with a .410, why shoot 3.5" #4's? It isn't necessary.
Last turkey I killed was with a 16 gauge, high brass #7.5 shell I dug out of a garbage can over 30 years ago!

Uh huh......
30 yrs ago now...
Laffin!!!!

Dead Tom's
SG
2.75" #8,s

"Pics or it never happened"
Not spin and deflect......

🤣🤣🤣
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...mballs-invited-to-participa#Post18283153

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
So "Martinstrummer"
Just for clarity.....

1. You dug a shell out of a trash can and killed a turkey with it 30 yrs ago?
Or
2. You held onto the shell you dug out of a trashcan 30yrs ago and killed a turkey with it like say in the last 1 to 3 yrs with it?

"Pics or it never happened"...
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤣🤣🤣🤣

Spin and deflect???
🤣🤣🤣
I hired out (Fort Worth, TX 1988) and had to go through orientation.
One of the instructors was a "yard sale" geek and an old Georgia boy. Told him I was a 16 gauge geek.
Said he bought a chest of drawers earlier that had a butt load of 16 gauge ammo in it, would I like to have it!
"Heck yeah!"
The next day he handed me a small bathroom sized garbage can with +/- four boxes of 16 gauge ammo.
It was a mixture of high brass #7.5's and low brass #8 field loads.
The stuff looked to be several years old in 1988!
....and I'm still using the stuff. 😉

So, there you have it! I turkey hunt with 30+ (35?) year old 16 gauge ammo I dug out of a garbage can.
The "kill" was the fall of 2018.
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Thankfully, this stuff is want, not need. At least I hope it's want here and not need. And the sky's the limit if you want... or don't want! If you want to use whatever shell, good for you and have at it. If you want to wear whatever camo or boots, good for you and have it. Calls, decoys, pop-up blind... knock your socks off. If you want to post pics... or not, whatever! We truly are our own worse enemies sometimes.... You want to post your opinion as fact, whatever the opinion is... please don't. Share information, experiences and results... please do.

AGREED!

My seasons don't start until the first week of May... seams like a long way off!

"... You want to post your opinion as fact, whatever the opinion is... please don't. ..."
I try not to post ANY "opinion" as fact!
But I do post my opinions. 😉

I'm in S Texas right now. Season opened March 18th, closed Apr 18th.
When I return home to Oklahoma, season will open Apr 16th through May 16th.
I'm hoping to get a hunt in down here and another in Oklahoma. 🤞
BTW renegade50

Pics don't mean squat other than you can use a camera.

Here ya go!

deer
https://www.charlieelk.com/2018/11/25/sunrise-on-the-oklahoma-red-river/

turkey
https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/05/10/the-rain-bird/

turkey
https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/06/17/after-the-storm/

Even as small as Charlie's website was, posting pictures was a breeze. Not the convoluted train wreck required of this site!
We ALL have opinions, don't we! Lol!

I was seriously into 16ga for quite a bit. Had a very early Remington 870 ADL Deluxe 16ga that was a joy to shoot. Didn't realize, at the time, what I had and sold it thinking, I'll find another one! Well, been looking for decades and haven't found another one yet, oh well! Sold all the 16ga ammo to a student at one of my hunter safety classes...
As a side note, if anyone is in a jam, I have 25 rounds of assorted 12ga 3" turkey shells available. Winchester, Remington and Federal. Shot sizes are #4, #5 and #6's, the Remington is Hevi-Shot #4's and #5's. I can/will provide an exact count of what there is, but please, only if you're in a jam and need it. I only use a 20ga now, with those outrageously priced TSS shells that work like the hammer of Thor! Lol!
Has anyone used Federal Grand Slam 12 Gauge with the flight control wad? My LGS has a lot of it and it's not terribly expensive. I like the flight control wad with 20 gauge TSS loads.
BTW renegade50

Pics don't mean squat other than you can use a camera.

Here ya go!

deer
https://www.charlieelk.com/2018/11/25/sunrise-on-the-oklahoma-red-river/

turkey
https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/05/10/the-rain-bird/

turkey
https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/06/17/after-the-storm/

Even as small as Charlie's website was, posting pictures was a breeze. Not the convoluted train wreck required of this site!
Ngaf about some abstract website....
That you probably found to begin with for CYA...

Spin and deflect is what your doing.
Posting " pics or it never happened" is too easy on here.
Everyone knows that imgur or postimage is too easy to use
That is unless your a total poser and " pics or it never happened" = Kyptonite....
🤔🤣🤣🤣
And your stories about the shells is "quaint".
( more like thought out spin)
Was one shell, now it's 4 boxes of shells you been slaying em with ever since...
Uh huh....
Plenty of people on here are experienced with spin and deflect posters...
" pics or it never happened"
Hell you say your in Texas now hunting and going back up to Oklahoma to hunt some more.
" pics or it never happened"
Have a 10 yr old teach you...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤪

I was seriously into 16ga for quite a bit. Had a very early Remington 870 ADL Deluxe 16ga that was a joy to shoot. Didn't realize, at the time, what I had and sold it thinking, I'll find another one! Well, been looking for decades and haven't found another one yet, oh well! Sold all the 16ga ammo to a student at one of my hunter safety classes...

My first firearm was a "hand-me-down" given to me by my great uncle. A 16 gauge "Elsie".
My grampa shot an antique Stevens 16 gauge double. Never saw him shoot any other shotgun.
For my 16th g'day, my parents gave me a Savage 67D in 16 gauge. First shotgun I bought was a Win M12 in 16 gauge.
I've acquired 2 more. Another Win M12 and a Remington "Sportsman". Both rescued from pawn shops.
The Rem was built in 1932 and was one of the first 500 Rem "Sportsman", 16 gauge shotguns made.
Still shoot 16's.
All the shotgun a man could want! 😉 LOL!

My first firearm was a "hand-me-down" given to me by my great uncle. A 16 gauge "Elsie".
My grampa shot an antique Stevens 16 gauge double. Never saw him shoot any other shotgun.
For my 16th g'day, my parents gave me a Savage 67D in 16 gauge. First shotgun I bought was a Win M12 in 16 gauge.
I've acquired 2 more. Another Win M12 and a Remington "Sportsman". Both rescued from pawn shops.
The Rem was built in 1932 and was one of the first 500 Rem "Sportsman", 16 gauge shotguns made.
Still shoot 16's.

Still shoot 16's.

"Pics or it never happened"
Post image/ imgur = kryptonite...
Soooooo difficult.......

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Hey maybe you can tell us how you uploaded your avatar.
Did ya find it on a site and copy its code then clicked it in.
Was it your pic you had on a computer or device and had to go resize it down to 80 x 80 on a host site then copy link and click onto here.

Sounds almost as "difficult" as posting a pic from postimage or imgur.
Or did you have a 10 yr old do it for you.

Poser.....
" pics or it never happened" is always Kyptonite to posers...

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Has anyone used Federal Grand Slam 12 Gauge with the flight control wad? My LGS has a lot of it and it's not terribly expensive. I like the flight control wad with 20 gauge TSS loads.

I used the 3” 2 oz load of #5 on a couple of birds in a Franchi short recoil whatever it’s called. Choke was a .665 but don’t recall the brand. Checked a couple of rounds at 40 yards and it was good enough for a while more. But the biggest bird I shot was only 38 steps and he just dropped. Head and neck were well perforated. The other was a 16 lb jake I shot and almost missed because he was running straight at me and about to come under the blind window headed for decoys. They throw a nice pattern not so coned down as what I’ve seen with Long Beard and TSS. Also shot a few 2 3/4” 1 1/2oz of #4 from an old A5 30” full choke. About 40 yards is all that’s good for and I’d rather have #6 to be sure.
As a side note, if anyone is in a jam, I have 25 rounds of assorted 12ga 3" turkey shells available. Winchester, Remington and Federal. Shot sizes are #4, #5 and #6's, the Remington is Hevi-Shot #4's and #5's. I can/will provide an exact count of what there is, but please, only if you're in a jam and need it. I only use a 20ga now, with those outrageously priced TSS shells that work like the hammer of Thor! Lol!

Gave the shells to a friends son that's starting to turkey hunt, so no longer available.
© 24hourcampfire