Home
Posted By: 10Glocks Does Federal Grand Slam suck? - 01/20/24
I only hunt with lead in 12 guage. And only use Winchester Longbeard. But after last season, I found Federal Grand Slam 3" #4 on clearance for like $10.99 (IIRC) for a box of 10. It was cheap so I went ahead and bought two boxes. I still haven't fired it yet. But I can't find many good reviews on it. Has anyone used it? Thoughts? I kinda wish I had saved my $22 since Winchester Longbeards is a proven performer. But it was so cheap it was hard to pass up.
All a good friend uses, very effectively too...
Federal Grand Slams didn't suck............til the Winchester Longbeards hit the scene. Then, EVERY lead turkey shell but the Longbeards sucked.

Were I relegated to using the Federals, the #4's would be the LAST one I'd pick due to pellet count.
They may end up in the "Free to a good home" bin at my gun club.
have killed over 100 with the federal premium 2 oz. 6's. If the grand slams are anything like the premium's they don't suck.
They would make a mean yote shell or other pest control round.
Ive used them in a 20 ga I own. Killed a couple birds with them. They performed really well but in all honesty the shots were roughly 20-25 yds. Any good lead load would have killed those birds. I use 3in Longbeards #5 in my 12 ga now. Awesome stuff.
I won't know until I shoot some. They've got the flight control wad. I've heard that they used to be made such that they didn't perform well in ported choke tubes, but that they've been improved so that they now do. But I supposed they are still incompatible with choke tubes with wad strippers. I'll try them with some standard chokes and some smooth, non-ported extended.
The federal grand slam didn't pattern very well from my shotgun. Actually, they were very bad. High brass ammo patterned better.
© 24hourcampfire