Home
Posted By: Tim_in_TN #3 - 04/16/07

Well, the weather did a turn around, so I was able to take a little trip. Left the house at 10:10 and was back a little after 2:00. This hunt was great, no hens involved at all, and had him a lookout. 2 gobblers at 30 yds is exciting. 10" beard, 7/8" spurs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: #3 - 04/17/07
Great bird, TIM

CK
Posted By: Tim_in_TN Re: #3 - 04/17/07
Well dad gum, someone was nice enough to offer well wishes. I certainly appreciate the kind words. I hope you get on one when you get out.
Posted By: xverminator Re: #3 - 04/17/07
Good job Tim..... However, I believe you've got too much time on your hands! grin I'm envious!!

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: pullit Re: #3 - 04/17/07
Great job, I too am envious. I have seen nothing but hens!!
I have not heard one gobble all season except opening morning and that was one time!!! Starting to get to me.

Congrats.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: #3 - 04/17/07
Nice,what did ya kill this one with?
Posted By: Tim_in_TN Re: #3 - 04/17/07
You and I were talking weight, which opened my eyes, the 870 was the lightest one I own. I started the season with the Nikon dot, but I ended up removing it and swapping the glass from the Mossberg to the 870. That did it. I am in love with the 870 Supermag. I put a light gauge spring for a good trigger pull.

This was a TV quality hunt. About 45 minutes long. The birds were together and when I was walking the property and calling trying to locate one, I got an answer in a bottom area. I walked about 50 yds in the bottom and it took 2 series of yelps from my slate to get one to answer. I sat down because these woods are pretty open. I switched from an occasional series from a mouth call waiting longer than normal to swapping to the slate. The birds were not fired up and gobbling their heads off at all. Just an occasional answer. What I think ended up making them commit was a lengthy session from my slate with light clucks, purrs and light yelping. I finally saw movement at about 100 yds out and could see a bird streching out for a gobble and the sound was slightly delayed. They came on a string to me with the birds passing several trees that let me train the shotgun to the right opening. The front bird jumped on a log and his buddy moved in behind him, both trying to see the hen. When they separated the 870 let loose. No pellets in the breast again. I love my setup and might change 1 thing. I like having the best equipment possible, I ordered a Comp-N-Choke .655 for it and will test it soon. More chokes rolling around in the drawer. I love it......good luck to the rest.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: #3 - 04/17/07
Thanks Tim
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: #3 - 04/18/07
Good job Tim! I couldn't post as I was in South Dakota - check out my hunt and pics....
Putting the trigger spring in my SP10 this week, Indiana season opens next Wednesday!
Posted By: texasbatman Re: #3 - 04/19/07
Very nice bird Tim. Congrats to you. Keep up the good work. smile

Jim
Posted By: Tim_in_TN Re: #3 - 04/19/07
You guys are to kind. I sure appreciate the kind words.....
© 24hourcampfire