Home
Posted By: jc189 Another strange Bird. - 04/06/24
Looks like a light colored Bearded Hen to me. What say the Fire Turkey experts???

I had this one in front of me for about 10 minuets yesterday. As close 12 to 15 yards at one point.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/06/24
I don't see any spurs and it looks like a hen-colored head.
Posted By: Ridge_Runner Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/06/24
yep a bearded hen
Posted By: Highoctane Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/06/24
Bearded hen. Ive had one running around my area for several years. They use to be legal in SC, but not anymore.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/06/24
This is the first bearded hen that I have seen. This one is lighter in color the rest of the hens in the area.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/06/24
I have seen this one where I hunt. Only one I have ever encountered.

Posted By: Fullfan Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/06/24
Ya she looks like something is going on w her head. I have a pic from several years ago, big ol hen w spurs. And they were every bit of an inch long.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/06/24
Yea, the pic doesn't do her any justice. But she has no hint of any shade of color on her head/face other than white then transitioning back to the light grayish tan color on the neck. All of our hens here have a distinct bluish/purple head. And the body is much darker.

This one seems to have a grayish tint to it.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/06/24
Hard to tell from the lighting. But she sure seems to have an odd head coloration going on.
Posted By: roverboy Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/07/24
I' ve seen 3 or 4 bearded hens over the years but, never saw the reason to shoot one. I know a few guys that have.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/07/24
First one I have seen. She would have been legal to shoot in my area. But I had no desire to shoot her. I had more fun just watching her.
Posted By: killerv Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/08/24
We used to be able to shoot them but they got rid of that, only ever seen 2 or 3. We had one once that was almost all black, some kind of crazy color phase, even her head was dark dark gray. She was bearded. Looked like a vulture.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/08/24
Bud Light turkey
Originally Posted by cv540
Bud Light turkey
🤪classic
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/10/24
Yup, hen, funny color
Originally Posted by roverboy
I' ve seen 3 or 4 bearded hens over the years but, never saw the reason to shoot one. I know a few guys that have.

A place I hunted was loaded with turkeys. One group of hens had two or three bearded hens. I can only suppose brood mates!
Just out of curiosity one fall, I shot one of them.
No big deal. The beard was thin and stringy. The hen herself was no larger than any other hen.
Kind of a waste of a tag.......but hen wingbones make EXCELLENT wingbone yelpers! 😉
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Another strange Bird. - 04/10/24
I've seen a few bearded hens and even arrowed one many years ago that my buddy now has mounted in his house. The hen I shot came in aggressive to hen decoy before I killed her. The one I killed had no spurs and 7 1/2" beard
© 24hourcampfire