Home
Posted By: rock42 turkey calls for beginner - 01/31/01
This spring I am going to try turkey huting for the first time becuase I haven't been able to with school and such before. I was wondering what you guys recommend in the way of calls for a beginning turkey hunter.
The friction calls are the easiest/fastest to learn. Get a Lohman box. They come with a holster that you can wear on your belt and it also keeps the call quiet when walking. The Knight&Hale Ol`Yeller sla-tek, PowerTip striker and call case that can also be worn on the belt and will hold 3 strikers. Some call chalk (brown) for the box. This is the simplest way to get started and the way I hunted, before the mouth call and I took my share of birds with this combo. The box has two sides (hens) and each striker will be another hen. The Ultimate Striker by HS Strut sounds good on that call and is a wet weather striker. HS Strut has a video "So you want to be a turkey hunter" that is 80 mins. of info from scouting, call selection, setting up, etc. <A HREF="http://www.hunterspec.com" TARGET=_blank>www.hunterspec.com</A> Check out the call videos.... Hope this helps! Make`em strut!!!! <P>------------------<BR><BR>Gun Control is shooting a tight group...
The simplest call for a beginner is the little push button yelper. They make good yelps and purs and are very easy to use. I started out the hard way, learned on the mouth call first. My son started on the push button call and killed several turkey with it. Now he uses a box call with good results. Get a good tape or video and listen to the rhythm of the calls. Rhythm is more important that pitch or tone. All turkeys have a different tone and pitch to their "voices". So the "tone" of your call does not have to be perfect. The Rhythm and tempo do have to be right. My push button yelper is now attached to the leg on one of my decoys. I attach a monofiliment fish line to the plunger and operate it from 20 yards away. It keeps the bird looking at the decoy and not at me. I killed four birds last season with that set up each one had a 10 inch or longer beard, the longest was 10 and 3/4 inches. The most common mistakes beginners make are calling to much and moving too soon. Many birds will come in totally silent. Wait them out. Unless the turkeys are calling a lot themselves keep your calling down to three or five yelps every fifteen minutes. I've spooked lots of birds calling too much don't think I ever spooked one calling too little.
I have to agree it`s the simplest, but the volumn is limited and it won`t locate birds as far out as a box or slatestyle call will, especially if the wind picks up or the folage is full out. The best all-around combo is a box and slate for a beginner. The Lonesome Hen is a good push/pull call and sounds great. <P>------------------<BR><BR>Gun Control is shooting a tight group...
© 24hourcampfire