Home
Posted By: The Happy Kaboomer Happenings So Far - 03/21/01
Our season opened on thurs. march 15th. I took off work to go. When I got up it was raining sideways! I went anyway. I set up my umbrella blind on the edge of an oat field. I put out one decoy. Calling was useless as the rain muffled all sound. 12 hens came into the field and milled around my decoy. Looking back I saw a gobbler come into the field following the hens. I shot him at 37 steps. Collected him and my stuff and was back home by 7:30. Still pouring down rain. Went back to same spot on sunday morning. Dawn came cold and windy. I didn't hear any gobbling. I started calling and listening intermittingly. At 7:20 I saw a turkey standing in the edge of trhe pines. I laid down my call and picked up my shotgun. I saw it was a gobbler when he walked out. A second gobbler walked out behind him. Both were jakes and they were alone. They were standing about 2 ft. apart. I put the bead on the one on the right and pulled it slightly left of his head and pulled the trigger. Both fell. I killed both of them with one shot. Both weighed 14 lbs. and had 5" beards. 5 more weeks of season to go. And 2 more tags.
Posted By: Brokenbucket Re: Happenings So Far - 03/23/01
Mike, Welcome to the campfire. This is a new forum and hasn`t picked up yet, so just give it some time. Richland County`s opener is getting closer.(Mar.31) BTW: The SC hunters/posters from DuchCentral, HuntAmerica & RefugeForums are getting togeather at IHOP at 1031 Assembly St in Columbia at 8:30 for breakfast prior to the Palmetto Sportsman`s Classic. Drop in if you`re in town at that time..... Make`em strut!!!!
Sorry could not make it. Went turkey hunting. Heard 2 and called up a jake and let him go. Going back this afternoon. <BR> This is the first palmetto classic that I've missed since they started. Blew all monies at shooter's choice last weekend.
© 24hourcampfire