Home
Any of our members hunting with a 20 gauge?

I have a couple set up, one I really love, it's a T/C Encore that I've had a good bit of work done on. Very light to carry, but EXTREMELY deadly.
I hunt turkeys with 20 ga 3 inch #5s. I keep shots under 30 yards and have had good luck so far.
I am picking up my new M2 20ga today. A buddy has been loading TSS with his and he is sending up a few loads. He is getting 310 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds and 130 pellets in 10" at 60 yds. Velocity is same as my 12ga TSS loads. He gets less overall pellets in the 20" circles though. Should work just fine though on turkeys and be a joy to carry. I'll let you know how it works.

Lee
Just a few that were killed with pop guns.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I use the 870 20ga w. federal hw#7's, they are 3 for 3 so far. 30 to 40 yards.
I've killed my last 46 longbeards with 20ga guns. No need for a 12ga.

Mike

Originally Posted by fats
I use the 870 20ga w. federal hw#7's, they are 3 for 3 so far. 30 to 40 yards.

Same here
Benelli M2 24" barrel, Rhino .575 choke, Nitro 3" 1 7/16 oz. #7's, Burris 336 mount, Docter sight and the trigger worked.

[Linked Image]
No I use my .12 ga. but I do have a Turkey choke for my .20 ga.
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
Any of our members hunting with a 20 gauge?

I have a couple set up, one I really love, it's a T/C Encore that I've had a good bit of work done on. Very light to carry, but EXTREMELY deadly.

I have a Rem 1100 20 Ga. Youth Turkey Special in MO Obsession, that Rem. no longer makes. I bought it for the wife and she's killed birds with it. The oldest G'kid has killed Turkeys also with it. I like it as a good run & gun weapon, I use an Indian Creek choke & #5 3" Rem. Turkey loads.
My daughter nailed a long-beard at a lasered 68 yards last year with her 20-gauge 11-87 "pop-gun".
20 gauge BPS is all I've used for the past few years.
A time or two.

Fact is, I haven't used anything but a 20ga for about 5 years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Get some Nitro Company H276C and watch'um Fold..
Last 20 I killed were with a 20 Encore, and Win #5's. Two of them at 42 and 43 yards. Ya, I'm likin' the 20.
The boys use them:

[Linked Image]
what 2 3/4" shells do you recommend? I might get my son using my old savage 219 single 20.
Federal with the flite control wad should work great for you.
My 6 year old nephew will be carrying a 20ga. this year for his first turkey hunt. I'm stoked to be able to help guide him.
M2 with 26" barrel Indian Creek .555 and Hevi-shot 7's.
Killed about 90 turkeys with a Western Field(Mossberg 500) 20 and 3" Winchester copper-plated 4s and 6s from the original full choke(actually mikes to Xfull). Won a semi-auto 12 at a banquet and switched to a 12 with 3 inch magnum 4s for a couple dozen more turkeys. Then got a titanium shoulder from playing softball too long and after shooting a couple more turkeys with the 12 I have switched to a Weatherby SA-08 semi-auto 20 with Indian Creek choke tube, good recoil pad, and 2 3/4" Winchester Super Pheasant 5s. My wife shoots the same loads in my Verona 20 O/U. They kill turkeys just fine out to 35 yards, and don't bruise our shoulders despite the light shotguns.
I've got a Mossberg 500 in both 12 and 20 but this year I'll be using this long neck Jake Decoy 20 ga.. It's a visual decoy I invented that when it putts ,it kicks out Federal Heavyweight #7 with flite control-- Its' mouth is made from a non ported Undertaker good for 40+ yards. Web [Linked Image]
I hope to own a M2 20 ga one day very soon! I've got a youth model Charles Daly 20ga that needs a little tuning to be a killer but it'll get setup and be my oldest boys turkey gun most likely.
My 870 youth compact camo.

[Linked Image]
I just built my dad and I 20ga's this year to hunt with. Found us some youth Rem 870 models with 21" barrels, polished the barrels, replaced the youth stock with Knoxx Ajustable stocks, forearm wood with synthetic, receiver drilled and tapped with weaver base, worked up a TSS reload, and about to mount Burris FFII's then sight in. I'm in the process of painting my gun. Leaving dad's all black. Both guns are throwing some very nice patterns at 40 yards. Can't wait to test them on some longbeards. It will be nice carring these light 20ga's vs. our traditonal 12ga's.
© 24hourcampfire