Home
Posted By: bboy80601 Merriams vs Rio - 12/15/12
Ok turkey experts, I am stupid and need some help. What are the main differences between merriams and rio turkeys? How do I tell them apart? I am hunting in Wy (Merriams) and Nebraska (both) and need some help

Thanks
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Merriams vs Rio - 12/15/12
The Rio's have lighter, but still tan Tail Feather tips. They have a rather 'bronze' appearance, but not as pronounced as the big Easterns.

The Merriam's have a lot of white toward the back and the Tail Feathers tips are very white. The white bands on the wings are wider on a Merriam's, giving an almost all white appearance.

Posted By: bboy80601 Re: Merriams vs Rio - 12/15/12
Great thanks for the info. I thought I was shooting Merriams but my buddy thought Rio's. Looks like I will have to pull old fans out of the freezer and study them better.
Posted By: DrHJH Re: Merriams vs Rio - 12/16/12
Because Wyoming has had so much help from people dumping domestic Eastern turkeys out after bad winters, which have interbred with the wild turkeys, or from domestics going back to the mountain with the wild birds, if it isn't white, it isn't a Merriam's. That means the tail tips and coverts at the base of the tail on the back have to be white. If they're tan, it's a hybrid. Lots of turkey flocks in the Black Hills contain no Merriam's these days, and I've killed two Easterns up there near Newcastle that were going along to the mountain with wild birds.
The Rios I've shot have all had tan tail tips and tail coverts, some lighter, some darker, and they tend to be lankier, with longer legs and longer beards.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Merriams vs Rio - 12/16/12
Originally Posted by DrHJH
Because Wyoming has had so much help from people dumping domestic Eastern turkeys out after bad winters, which have interbred with the wild turkeys, or from domestics going back to the mountain with the wild birds, if it isn't white, it isn't a Merriam's. That means the tail tips and coverts at the base of the tail on the back have to be white. If they're tan, it's a hybrid. Lots of turkey flocks in the Black Hills contain no Merriam's these days, and I've killed two Easterns up there near Newcastle that were going along to the mountain with wild birds.
The Rios I've shot have all had tan tail tips and tail coverts, some lighter, some darker, and they tend to be lankier, with longer legs and longer beards.

interesting
Posted By: Hubert Re: Merriams vs Rio - 12/17/12
Originally Posted by DrHJH

why would someone from the east drive all the way to wyoming to dump some turkeys. you are nuts. we would just eat them.
© 24hourcampfire