Home
Posted By: Kenneth Crystal? - 03/05/17
Think I need to stimulate the economy, specifically David Hallorans...

Like the idea of crystal, don't have that type yet, but what type of material is it, glass?

Who's using a crystal call, Good sound? low maintenance?
Posted By: shaman Re: Crystal? - 03/06/17
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Think I need to stimulate the economy, specifically David Hallorans...

Like the idea of crystal, don't have that type yet, but what type of material is it, glass?

Who's using a crystal call, Good sound? low maintenance?

It's glass. I've used them. I've made them. You take a round piece of glass and sand it with 200 grit. Some days it works. Some days it doesn't. Of all the calls, the glass ones and the metal ones (coppper and aluminum) are the least affected by rain. The glass ones can be driven harder and louder, such that I can always tell when one of the neighbors are using a glass call. They have tremendous reach.

Of all the pot calls I make and use, my best producer has been a slate over glass. First I glue a metal washer to the bottom of the base to act as a stand-off. Then I glue a plate of glass to the washer. Then I glue a slate over the top such that there's an air-gap. The glass adds an extra quality to the call that drives the gobblers nuts mid-morning. Several of my post-10AM gobblers have fallen to this type of call. In fact, I've gotten all ready to leave and let off one last run with the slate over glass and had to sit back down.

Maintenance on a crystal is the same as all the other pot calls: a piece of Scotch-Brite back and forth in one direction. If it got really out of shape, 200 grit sandpaper would bring it back to factory-fresh.

Posted By: tzone Re: Crystal? - 03/06/17
I have a Primos crystal and it makes a sweet sound. But, it's touchy. It has to be scuffed up fairly often. Even tiny hint of moisture on your striker or call and it won't work.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Crystal? - 03/06/17
T, you talking about the Primos power crystal?

If so I have that one,

Commercially made Chinese plexiglass,

my least favorite call, more temperamental than a teenage chick.
Posted By: HeavyBarrel Re: Crystal? - 03/06/17
I have the Crystal Mistress from David Halloran. It is the best sounding pot call I have ever heard!

HeavyBarrel
Posted By: Popapi Re: Crystal? - 03/06/17
I have the Metal Mouth, Twisted sister and Crystal Mistress.....all of them talk turkey and IS death to that OleTom!!! #glass
Posted By: Westernmassman Re: Crystal? - 03/07/17
Woodhaven Cherry Classic for me and many Gobblers. Great long range pot call! Still prefer slate in close or calling to roost.
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Crystal? - 03/07/17
If you specifically want a crystal call, check out John Sinclair Custom Calls, his Cherry and Paduak Ping calls are outstanding , well all of his calls are actually.

I ran a Twisted Sister and Crystal Mistress for several years and can't say a bad thing about either. Johns call just have a different ring and are far more appealing to the eye if you like that kind of thing.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Crystal? - 03/08/17
Glass is great when it's dry, horrible when moist even with carbon.

It gives a much higher pitch than slate, very similar to aluminum. Of course the striker is key.

Posted By: Kenneth Re: Crystal? - 03/08/17
David Halloran says,

"Yes Crystal is a glass like surface but a different material than glass."

there it is, clear as mud.

No matter, A Crystal Mistress, a Double glass and a purple heart/cedar boxcall are on the way.

It's about to get real.
Posted By: tzone Re: Crystal? - 03/09/17
T, you talking about the Primos power crystal?

If so I have that one,

Commercially made Chinese plexiglass,

my least favorite call, more temperamental than a teenage chick.

Yeah, that's the one. I do like the sound it makes when it works. But you're right about the chick.
Posted By: tzone Re: Crystal? - 03/09/17

No matter, A Crystal Mistress, a Double glass and a purple heart/cedar boxcall are on the way.

It's about to get real.

Lol. get after it!
Posted By: docost99 Re: Crystal? - 03/27/17
Kenneth, how do you like them?
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Crystal? - 03/27/17
The Crystal mistress sings, I like it alot, great sound and what appears to be low maintenance. Leagues above the Primos power junk mentioned above.

The Double glass is nice, not too unlike other Glass calls, A lower pitch than the Mistress.

The box call is classy, good looking with detail, I need to spend more time with the box call, but it definitely has a nice high to low raspy sound to it.

In about 10 days, it's Go time.
© 24hourcampfire