Home
Posted By: woodmaster81 Finally! - 05/23/19
I was able to fill my tag this morning on the only day I had available to hunt after not filling the tag during my original allotted time. It was a jake with 4" beard (if I stretched the beard a bit) and nubbin spurs but I'll take it over tag soup.

I didn't expect much, it is windy, cloudy, and threatening to drizzle all morning. I didn't hear a gobble until well after sunrise and the bird did the usual and wandered off to the south someplace. A couple hours and a few moves had my hopes down. I returned to my original stand area as it was the only place sheltered from the wind. I called a couple series and kind of dozed off for a minute or two. I woke and gave a couple clucks when I saw movement to my left. It was a pair of birds that looked like males but was difficult to tell due to immaturity.

I was finally able to see a beard on them but I couldn't move as both were looking at me. When they put their heads down to feed, I got the gun up but didn't have a shot as they were too close together and we are allowed only one turkey in MN. Finally, the one wandered behind a tree and I was able to shoot the other.

I was able to bloody the Mossberg 930 on something breaking its string of bad luck. A handful of excursions for turkeys and waterfowl had none seen and a pheasant hunt had it acting up due to poor cold weather ammo. Now, I have to decide between it and the Browning Gold for such duties.
Posted By: Texczech Re: Finally! - 05/23/19
I'll take meat over tag soup any day. Congrats!
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Finally! - 05/24/19
CONGRATS on some tasty white meat !!!!!
Posted By: humdinger Re: Finally! - 05/24/19
Congrats on your season F bird.

MN is nice that they let us do that.

On your shotgun choice...

I've had poor luck with mossberg pumps in the past so I would keep the browning.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Finally! - 05/25/19
Yeah, it is nice they do that. It came in handy for me this year.

Until recently, I would not take a semiauto Mossberg shotgun if I were paid. I had a 5500 MK II that was pretty reliable until it broke a firing pin which it did regularly. I could (and did) change out the firing pin in the field on more than one occasion. The 9200 was given to me to try- I won't even look at one again let alone use one. Mine, and those of others I knew, had nothing but problems and is a reason for their quick demise.

The exception was the 1000 but that was made by Howa and picked up by Mossberg when S&W dropped their long guns. I had one of the S&W Supers and it ran like a champ. I kick myself for selling it.

The 930 series has been pretty good to me so far. I have a black synthetic version that I extended the magazine to 10 shots to use for spring snow geese and 3-gun type events. It has close to 5000 rounds through it since I bought it (salesman demo gun) and all I've had to do is change the recoil spring.

I picked up a slug version and then the aforementioned camo gun from the same person. The slug gun has been stellar but it has only a few hundred rounds through it by me. It has been my most accurate slug gun outside Savage and Browning bolt guns.

The camo version has a couple thousand rounds through it, enough I should change out the recoil spring as I don't know how many rounds went through it before I picked it up. My only problems occurred during a pheasant hunt in below zero temps and it was an issue with the shotshells (primer specifically) rather than gun.

I'll keep the Browning, it is a 3.5" gun so makes a great back up/loaner gun. I have used less than a box of 3.5" shells since ~1985 so the 930 would be an acceptable gun for me. It's being a few ounces lighter between the hands makes for a decent upland gun too.
Posted By: broomd Re: Finally! - 05/28/19
Way to persevere! Congrats on your successful hunt.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Finally! - 06/02/19
Congratulations on taking your bird.
© 24hourcampfire