Home
Posted By: coyote268 compact 20 gauge auto - 04/05/20
Looking around for one for my Granddaughters. Would like camo, drilled and tapped, and compact if possible. Have looked at Mossberg which I have one in 12gauge but started using a Winchester 20 pump last year and was very impressed with it. Coupled with Federal tss it really does a good job. Also looking at Weatherby but I don't know if they are drill and tapped. Anyway, any suggestion would be appreciated
Posted By: basdjs Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/06/20
I'd look at both the Franchi Affinity 3 and the Mossberg SA-20. The Franchi is very light and handle well.
Posted By: 66niteowl Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/06/20
I’d go with the SA-20 , lots of shotgunners brag on it
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/06/20
My son’s 1187 Compact has performed very well. I don’t think you can get it in camo, though.
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/06/20
I love my 20ga 11-87 Compact. I had it drilled and tapped and camo dipped.
Posted By: humdinger Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/06/20
Another vote for franchi affinity.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/06/20
I have an 11-87 Youth model that is full camo, adjustable LOP, and 21 inch barrel. My granddaughters have killed turkeys with it, and I use it when they're not. I use a saddle mount with a red dot sight, Indian Creek choke, and have killed birds out to 48 yards with Winchester Longbeard shot. I even put an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring in to lighten the pull. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.
Posted By: spence1875 Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/08/20
Franchise affinity compact vote. Use it for both my daughters. The stock spacers are great.
Posted By: pullit Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/10/20
I have a Wby 459 and a SA-08 and would buy both again if need be. SA-08 would get my vote if you are looking for cheaper and could double as a field gun (i.e. dove etc.) The 459 is more money and has a pistol grip stock which lends itself to being a great turkey gun but not so much for wing shooting.
Posted By: turkish Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/11/20
Is the SA-20 compact drilled and tapped from the factory? I’m unable to discern from their website.
Posted By: shootem Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/11/20
If you have the bucks:

https://www.browning.com/products/f...production/silver-field-micro-midas.html

First stats are for discontinued 12 ga. Hit the drop down arrow to see the 20 ga 24" barrel. 6 lbs of fun.
Posted By: pullit Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by turkish
Is the SA-20 compact drilled and tapped from the factory? I’m unable to discern from their website.

No it is not from the factory but it is easy to do or have done if you don't have the equipment to do it.
Always wondered why more shotguns don't have factory installed slings/carry straps.
Posted By: pullit Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Always wondered why more shotguns don't have factory installed slings/carry straps.

To cut cost and get them on the market as cheap as possible, then sell them to you as an accessory at a high profit margin, have you seen what the fore end cap of a Remington with a sling swivel stud cost!
Posted By: DonFischer Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/13/20
For a light compact cover gun in an auto loader I'd look at the Rem 1100 Special Field. Had the 870 Special Field and it was really great in the grouse woods! Wasn't much to talk about in open field hunting though, barrel just way to short and didn't swing well. I'm not an auto loader fan and have only owned one. Had a Browning Double Auto years ago and it was simply awesome but in open cover had the same problem with barrel swing with the short barrel. It had a 24" barrel on it.
Posted By: humdinger Re: compact 20 gauge auto - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by websterparish47

I would say thats partially driven by big companies like remington with big product lines.

Companies like Franchi, with less products, have more features in them even if there is no low cost products in them.

This reminds me of the when I bout my first deer rifle in the early 80s... reminton or ruger. the ruger came with rings and studs so thats what a teenager bought.
Actually I bought three forearm caps for Remingtons. Don't recall the price but didn't think it was much. Of course that was 35 years ago.

I would have bought for my other brands if they had been available.
© 24hourcampfire