Home
Posted By: wyo1895 the finished product - 06/17/20
I got my engraved Lightfoot mount today. Here are some pics. I put it on my old ratty K.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]Lightfoot turned me on to some engraved Millet mounts
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If it's cloudy tomorrow I will take it out, zero it and see if it's accurate.
Looks GREAT!

Mike
Very nice, David. Why does the one screw look like it's way undersized? Is that hole drilled oblong to allow some adjustment, same as the front two?
Posted By: Polecat Re: the finished product - 06/17/20
Very nice!

Lee
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: the finished product - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Very nice, David. Why does the one screw look like it's way undersized? Is that hole drilled oblong to allow some adjustment, same as the front two?

Yes, I do that on purpose to allow for the machining differences in the respective guns. The rear tang screw has no slop though to prevent the mount from sliding on the gun.

Thanks David! Those engraved rings match up pretty well I think.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: the finished product - 06/17/20

Outstanding
Posted By: saddlering Re: the finished product - 06/17/20
Looks nice! Mike make a Great mount!
Posted By: JeffG Re: the finished product - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Outstanding
Really Outstanding union of form, and function! The aesthetic details make all the difference, perfect compliment to your K! Griffin and Howe would have patented this one, (..if they had thought of it first)
Posted By: Calhoun Re: the finished product - 06/17/20
Very nice!
Posted By: Savage94C Re: the finished product - 06/18/20
Looks nice wyo1895. Matches the K's engraving, very tasteful. Like the added engraving to the sides of the mount. Good job Lightfoot.
Posted By: 99guy Re: the finished product - 06/18/20
My favorite scope of all time

VX-lll 2.5 x 8 x 36mm

They just look "right" on 99's
Posted By: Savageupnorth Re: the finished product - 06/18/20
Classy!
Nice job. I can see more headed down that path.
Posted By: RAS Re: the finished product - 06/18/20
David,

If you ever see the 4 screw Redfield engraved rings, pick them up! They are very classic looking and of high-quality.

I found a few sets while looking through boxes of scope rings at gun shops. You can find them on eBay but they get very expensive. Often $200.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: the finished product - 06/18/20
Just when i thought i was done buying gun stuff! Excellent combination of two artists! Make that three.
Has the engraver's info been posted?. I have a birthday coming up and momma needs ideas!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: the finished product - 06/18/20
Thanks for the comments guys.
Those engraved Redfield rings sound really cool.
Unfortunately the engraving on top of the bases is a little hard to see with the scope mounted.
Bill Blair did the engraving. I'll get his info tomorrow.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: the finished product - 06/18/20
The engraver is: Jim Blair, p.o. box 64, Glenrock, Wy., 82637, phone 307-436-8115, email jimblairengraving.com.
He said it was alright to give out his info.
Posted By: damnesia Re: the finished product - 06/18/20
Makes me wish I had an engraved 99 to put one on. That looks awesome.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: the finished product - 06/19/20
Just put an engraved base on one of your rifles till you get an engraved 99 and then switch the base.
Posted By: S99VG Re: the finished product - 06/19/20
Nice!
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: the finished product - 06/19/20
I might have him do the Noske side mount on my K, including side plate, slide off mount, and rings. Do you blue before or after the engraving?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: the finished product - 06/19/20
David, is there any engraving on the top of the Leupold part of the mount?

The mount was blued after engraving.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: the finished product - 06/19/20
No, the engraving is on the added part on the top. Jim has someone there local who can blue the mount after it's engraved. He did a really good job on the bluing.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: the finished product - 06/22/20
took it out to the range yesterday because it was cloudy. Unfortunately it cleared up and a strong downrange wind came up. The rifle seemed to be a little erratic with the first few rounds. I doubt if it's been fired for the last 50 or 60 years. It's been in collections that long. It finally settled down. My best group with 150 Nosler BT and 40 g. 4895 was 1.08", another group with that load was 1.38". Best groups with 125 g Nosler BT and 43 g. 4895 was 1.78". It didn't shoot well with 150/39 g 4895. The bolt is a little hard to open with the 40 g but it shouldn't take but one shot to put a mule deer down so I guess that won't hurt it.
© 24hourcampfire