Home
Posted By: Mrhp Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/12/20
Just picked up a maxwell Smith g88 scope and mounts for one of my savage 99’s. Looks to be unused. Not very high power but should look right at home on my early 99. Were they any good? Seems to be pretty high quality. Does not have crosshairs, only a post. Nice and clear. Will be used for deer hunting and plinking. Any info appreciated. Will try to get a picture tonite.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/12/20
That’s new to me. Can you put up a picture?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/12/20
The G88 is 2.5X with a 7/8" tube. First one I've heard of. The company was only around about 5 years just after WWII.

What type of mount do you have for it?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/12/20
I have owned only one, specs are as Lightfoot has quoted. Condition of the one that I owned was real nice, it was a high quality instrument probably didn't catch on as 1" scopes were becoming the norm in that era.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/12/20
New to me, also. Will have to find more info.
Posted By: damnesia Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
I have several of them and can't say enough good things about them. The one I have on a hunting rifle I had sealed and cleaned. Very nice scopes considering the vintage.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
Looks like it’s time to start posting pictures!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
How do they compare to the Lyman Alaskan?
Posted By: texken Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
this is what's nice about this forum, something new comes along every so often
Posted By: Mrhp Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
I am trying to get pictures fellas, soon!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
Hmmm. I'll take that M52B Sporter though! The scope and fugly mount would come off and I would give it to one of you fellas.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
So do those mounts/rings require any funky holes to be drilled in the receiver? They kind of look like some very old Weavers that required holes be drilled in the receiver that were perpendicular and not parallel to the bore.
Posted By: Mrhp Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
The front mount uses the rear dovetail, and the rear uses the two tapped holes in the tang. Very sleek in appearance!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
Looks like Jack O'Connor had a Model 70 in 375 with a Maxwell-Smith G88 in Jaeger mounts, weighed 10 pounds.

It's mentioned several times in Shots at Whitetails by Larry Koller (pages VIII, 242 and 243).

Looks like there's an article on it in the Sports Afield, Volume 116, 1946.

That's all I got.

PS: Shots at Whitetails just gives the specs for it, and other scopes from 1948. It also lists a Maxwell Smith Zicon (2.5x), and Maxwell Smith Vectra (2.6x). The G88 is 2.25x.
Posted By: texken Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
one sold here 2014 for $85.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/13/20
With the adjustments being that far forward it looks like it would be a close fit for a Stith on a 99. Has anyone ever seen that combo?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/14/20
Originally Posted by Mrhp
The front mount uses the rear dovetail, and the rear uses the two tapped holes in the tang. Very sleek in appearance!

? 52's didn't have a dovetail on the receiver ring. Could it be mounted on a Unertl scope block there for which those rifles were factory drilled and tapped?
Posted By: Mrhp Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 07/14/20
On the 99 it uses the dovetail and rear screws.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 04/03/23
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
With the adjustments being that far forward it looks like it would be a close fit for a Stith on a 99. Has anyone ever seen that combo?
Yes. This one is a post reticle, and actually nice and clear.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 04/03/23
If somebody needs one of these, I have one according to my inventory of scopes spreadsheet.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Maxwell Smith g88 scope - 04/03/23
Should work well for a 7/8" Pachmayer side mount as well, if anybody has one of those sitting around.
© 24hourcampfire