Home

grin

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874386065

grin
Never saw one of those before!
Seller must be light on his feet

Johno
"Scope added in the 50's"! I didn't know Lightfoot was that old!
Just another perfect example of someone talking about something that is a wild a.s.s guess at best.
Shazam. I gots one of them there stith mounts and didn't even know it. I got mine off Mr. Stith out in California. It is sort of sad the number of people who go into the firearms business and do nothing but buy and sell all the while having no idea what they are buying or selling. One of the reasons I gave up gunshows. Got tired of hearing the same old BS week in and week out. Don't know what they are talking about and then want to argue with you. Not all, but a goodly number.
With the exception of the “Stithfoot” mount and the inflated price, what do you guys think about the rest of the seller’s description? It’s a clean gun but pictures 43-45 look like there’s wood filler behind the top tang which leads me to believe the stocks may have been freshened up.
It has the lightweight barrel with the short integral front sight. My 99G has the lightweight barrel with the longer integral front sight and the serial # is 3000 higher. Just info if anyone is keeping data on these sights.
“Stithfoot” Now that's funny! grin And creative - I may use that.

I don't always get the SN for the guns I build for so I can't find that one.

He does say 'Stith-type' I believe.
Nice looking, but I agree with' S99VG' that it looks like wood filler behind the tang and I believe the seller knows it's not a Stith as in the wording "Stith type" (as 'Lightfoot' posted) to grab attention to a bidder/buyer. Play 'on wording'! Buyer beware I guess! As 'dallased' posted, BS-er's abound at gun shows deceiving the uniformed. I have a life long friend that is into firearms only buying and shooting, not much into the history of brands/models that is a real sucker for those guys. He's always telling me what "so and so" told him at a recent gun show which may times is nothing but 'carnival barker' BS. Anyway.......!
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
“Stithfoot” Now that's funny! grin And creative - I may use that.

I don't always get the SN for the guns I build for so I can't find that one.

He does say 'Stith-type' I believe.

I would market it as a limited production run of serial numbered mounts that were made in tribute to the venerable Stith scope mount of yesteryear. And then I would sell them at a premium on account of the mount being a limited run collector series and, just to make everyone feel special, give each mount serial number one.
That seller "stithed" Lightfoot; royalty fees in progress.
I FYI'ed the seller and told him to Google Lightfoot Mount.
Now, now, he clearly stated Stith "Style" mount. Not a Stith.
I PMed the seller via the GB PM app this morning and advised that the mount was a "Lightfoot' currently being made by a guy in California and that some bidder may not know the difference and think they were getting a Stith mount with the gun. Advised some buyer may not be real happy with the fact. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the Lightfoot mounts , but a buyer needs to be aware. He PM'ed me back advising someone else had pointed it out to him also, saying he wasn't aware of it "so have been educated. Didn't mean to mislead, just ignorant".

See at 1420 hrs Central time there hasn't been any update on the site clarifying the "Stith type". Guess in reality Lightfoots mount is a "Stith type", ie how it mounts to the rifle, but the seller is making a play on words. IMO someone who doesn't notice that it isn't a Stith or someone who knows no difference may have issues with the seller when they receive the rifle if bought.. For what it's worth, Lightfoot, I think your unit is just as good as any Stith and they are available at a much cheaper price. 50 pus years from now a Lightfoot scope mount will be hot items on eBay and classified sections of gun forums IMO. Got to get into gear and get mine ordered for my 99R.
Originally Posted by Savage94C
I PMed the seller via the GB PM app this morning and advised that the mount was a "Lightfoot' currently being made by a guy in California and that some bidder may not know the difference and think they were getting a Stith mount with the gun. Advised some buyer may not be real happy with the fact. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the Lightfoot mounts , but a buyer needs to be aware. He PM'ed me back advising someone else had pointed it out to him also, saying he wasn't aware of it "so have been educated. Didn't mean to mislead, just ignorant".

See at 1420 hrs Central time there hasn't been any update on the site clarifying the "Stith type". Guess in reality Lightfoots mount is a "Stith type", ie how it mounts to the rifle, but the seller is making a play on words. IMO someone who doesn't notice that it isn't a Stith or someone who knows no difference may have issues with the seller when they receive the rifle if bought.. For what it's worth, Lightfoot, I think your unit is just as good as any Stith and they are available at a much cheaper price. 50 pus years from now a Lightfoot scope mount will be hot items on eBay and classified sections of gun forums IMO. Got to get into gear and get mine ordered for my 99R.

You don't know what you don't know. If you know what a Stith is, you'll know that isn't one. If you don't, you still won't know when you get it.

Stith type is not misleading, but I know a lot of idiots can't comprehend the written word.
Never saw a Stith mount that used Redfield bottom screw rings.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Never saw a Stith mount that used Redfield bottom screw rings.

Thanks for proving my point.
It does say "stith-type" mount. Which it could be construed as being by someone out of the know.
Originally Posted by damnesia
It does say "stith-type" mount. Which it could be construed as being by someone out of the know.

No matter how well you try to describe something, God makes a better idiot(not directed at you). Hard to say Lightfoot mount if you don't know it's a Lightfoot mount. Hence, Stith type.

Apples and oranges are very different, but they are both types of fruit.

I'd say, a mount that uses the rear factory screw holes used for a tang sight and the barrel rear sight dovetail as a Stith Type.
That's funny

I saw it too and put it on my watch list and was going to post it when the auction was over.

Just in case.... wink
Look's like the Mario Cuomo bridge here in N.Y.
Good photos, though!
I like the Lightfoot better than the Stith, it is one piece and is not scope specific like the Stith. I have a Lightfoot mount with a Lyman Alaskan and some old Redfield 7/8" rings. If I want to go to a 1" or 30 millimeter scope all I have to do is change the rings and slap the new scope on the rifle.
Maybe the seller should describe the(Lightfoot) mount as a Redfield/Leupold type rather than a Stith type.
I'm fairly certain I've seen that gun for sale before. Wish I had done a better job of logging SNs of guns.
Originally Posted by S99VG
Maybe the seller should describe the(Lightfoot) mount as a Redfield/Leupold type rather than a Stith type.

Maybe we should discuss if something is dark black or light black.
Originally Posted by RemModel8

Not really because there is a very big difference between the Stith and Redfield/Leupold systems if you want to get down into the weeds. Calling the Lightfoot mount a "Stith type" of mount is very miss leading. If anything, I would call it an alternative to a Stith. So to respond to your comment, not really - it is not as subtle as the difference between light and dark black. And believe me, you or I would be all over that point of detail if a seller tried to pass that mount off as a Stith or something similar to a Stith at a gun show - especially if they tried using it as a point for inflating the price of the gun. That kind of thing is commonly referred to as BS. Gun guys can be very detail oriented hence the crux of Roy's post on this website, the Savage Collectors Forum. So again, very big difference. And don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Lightfoot's mount as I am too of the Redfield/Leupold system. But to say that's splitting hairs would be reducing all mounting systems to their basic function of securing a scope to a rifle. And in that general of a context they would all be the same and the variations from one manufacturer to another only minor differences.
Sunday 07/19 1318 hrs. I see on the GB page ref the Savage 99 that the seller changed the description to read "a recent manufactured Lightfoot scope mount"! Thumbs up to him!
Originally Posted by Savage94C
Sunday 07/19 1318 hrs. I see on the GB page ref the Savage 99 that the seller changed the description to read "a recent manufactured Lightfoot scope mount"! Thumbs up to him!

+1!

Not really because there is a very big difference between the Stith and Redfield/Leupold systems if you want to get down into the weeds. Calling the Lightfoot mount a "Stith type" of mount is very miss leading. If anything, I would call it an alternative to a Stith. So to respond to your comment, not really - it is not as subtle as the difference between light and dark black. And believe me, you or I would be all over that point of detail if a seller tried to pass that mount off as a Stith or something similar to a Stith at a gun show - especially if they tried using it as a point for inflating the price of the gun. That kind of thing is commonly referred to as BS. Gun guys can be very detail oriented hence the crux of Roy's post on this website, the Savage Collectors Forum. So again, very big difference. And don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Lightfoot's mount as I am too of the Redfield/Leupold system. But to say that's splitting hairs would be reducing all mounting systems to their basic function of securing a scope to a rifle. And in that general of a context they would all be the same and the variations from one manufacturer to another only minor differences.

Agreed, it is misleading to an idiot. How does a Stith type mount attach to a 99 that is different than a Lightfoot mount?

Rings are different, sure, but rings aren't the mount, the mount is the mount and the Lightfoot mount attaches the same as a Stith. I'm sure you have more time to discuss this after the Flomax kicked in, but it's nit picking, at best.

Agreed, it is misleading to an idiot. How does a Stith type mount attach to a 99 that is different than a Lightfoot mount?

Rings are different, sure, but rings aren't the mount, the mount is the mount and the Lightfoot mount attaches the same as a Stith. I'm sure you have more time to discuss this after the Flomax kicked in, but it's nit picking, at best.

Really, its no biggie. Have a good Sunday.
You fellas say it said "Stith type" from the start? If it did I didn't catch it. But then again I slept 14 hours straight Saturday night so I was pretty out of it.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You fellas say it said "Stith type" from the start? If it did I didn't catch it. But then again I slept 14 hours straight Saturday night so I was pretty out of it.

Or, you could just be stupid. I'd vote for that.
Steelhead^^^^^, for those that don't know.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Steelhead^^^^^, for those that don't know.

\

Hey, Ford, Chevy, Mercedes or Yugo. All different shades of grey and a waste of time arguing over the differences. Off to the Yugo store!
Isn't he *special?
Quit feeding the troll Roy. I'm out of popcorn.
© 24hourcampfire