Home
Posted By: kdog Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
Some of you guys are members there ,I believe .........Anyone see the one the guy just found in "the trash " ?
Looks interesting ,,,low serial number ,,engraved ,and checkered with a pistol grip stock ...Is that a K ?
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
Originally Posted by kdog
Some of you guys are members there ,I believe .........Anyone see the one the guy just found in "the trash " ?
Looks interesting ,,,low serial number ,,engraved ,and checkered with a pistol grip stock ...Is that a K ?

That's what I wanted to know...
That thing was very special in it's day. I can't believe it's been so poorly taken care of.. horse wreck maybe?
To my uneducated eyes, it does look like a K.
Posted By: kdog Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
Looked again ....That was a special rifle back in the day ...............Fancy grade stock ..could be circassian walnut..
1b lyman peep site ? .... checkered ................Special order .............Not a K ,,They didnt come out till 285000 serial numbers .........and are takedowns ,,,,His is a solid frame ,,,,,Pretty cool none the less
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
It's a Leader Grade. Illustrated in Murray's book, page 5-12 (page from a 1905 Savage catalog). Cost: $45. And yes, a shame what happened to it.
Posted By: kdog Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
What do you think its worth the way it is ? .....
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
Hard to say. Not much documentation of sales of that grade gun in that condition. Whatever it's worth to the individual would be my standard answer.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
It's tough to tell what the bluing is like in his pictures. The lever looks blued to me, which means the rifle has probably been totally reblued as well as the many screws in the stock.

It is what it is, it's almost surely not financially worthwhile to restore it. Though I do think a few hundred $$ in stock work to remove and hide the many screws would make it a much nicer conversation/display piece.
Posted By: damnesia Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
Can someone post pics here for those of us who don't have a Facebook account?
Don't know if you'll be able to see this or not, but try clicking on these and you might be able to see pics. Trying to embed it doesn't seem to work.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...e5b1630c605ba299503eec9c&oe=5FDACD8B

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...258e6127d3d47b90a994d847&oe=5FD9D7A9
Posted By: damnesia Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
Yep I can see them. Thanks!
Posted By: Savage94C Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
Shame. Where was this found in a trash container. Did the finder keep it, give it away, or sell it. I'd think even though any true collector value is compromised, it would be worthwhile to fix properly, maybe be a shooter if the barrel bore is any good. I'd take on the challenge if it isn't to far gone.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
I would lean to having a professional repair the wood and leave everything looking aged the way it is. I think if you try to fix it up it would just look like another Bubba'ed rifle.
Posted By: Savage94C Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
Originally Posted by Rick99
I would lean to having a professional repair the wood and leave everything looking aged the way it is. I think if you try to fix it up it would just look like another Bubba'ed rifle.

Speaking to me or everyone in general?? If me, guess if you've never seen the work I've done on broken stocks, dinged stocks, etc., yer speaking before knowing. If me, I forgive ya anyway, no hard feelings. Maybe and I know their are those that could do a better job than I, but then I wouldn't have the satisfaction of a job done by myself. With that rifle, it's not that any restoration will restore any full value. Anyway---hate seeing a 99 in that shape.
He was speaking in general to whoever owns the rifle, not to you. grin

If a guy just fixed the blatant problems with screws and bad stock repair, then you'd have an honest looking 117 year old rifle that would be a cool display or conversation piece. If a guy tried to restore or replace the stock - you'd have a new looking stock on an old looking receiver and it'd look "odd". If you tried to restore the entire gun, it'd be expensive to get quality people to put it back to what it should look like - and odds are it wouldn't end up looking like new and it would cost more money than it would be worth afterwards.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
What a pity.
Posted By: ctw Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
I wouldn't throw her out of bed
Posted By: 99guy Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
If that gun was a horse, it would be shot and put out of it's misery.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xrlf3taEo
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/18/20

Originally Posted by Rick99

In full agreement Rick, a good stock man could work wonders.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/19/20
Originally Posted by ctw
I wouldn't throw her out of bed

Somebody already did. Unfortunately the bed was in an airplane.
Posted By: damnesia Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/19/20
Bah. Without, or even with, the stock fixed this might be the only way a "normal" guy could obtain a handmade piece of art without leveraging the house. This is probably worth 4 figures as is and might be worth 5 if the butt was professaly restored
Posted By: GeneB Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/19/20
Hang it on the wall with that side against the wall! If the repairs had more of a vintage look I would just leave it. I'm lean more to conservation and try to stay away from restoration, look for some steel or brass screws that can be given an aged looking patina to replace those.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/19/20
put brass tack heads over the screws and say it was an Indian rifle. Actually I would leave it as is.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/19/20
Take a black Sharpie and color over the screwheads and hang it up. grin
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/19/20
A hundred years from now a Savage collector will be willing to pay $50K for it. grin
Posted By: kdog Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/19/20
99guy lol grin ...If you look at the pics the guy added later ,,,,,,If you ve seen tang cracks before ... look at those pics ,,i understand why some clown put the bad wood screws in eek
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20
99guy lol grin ...If you look at the pics the guy added later ,,,,,,If you ve seen tang cracks before ... look at those pics ,,i understand why some clown put the bad wood screws in eek

Given the time line for the rifle and the amount of damage done, I still think a horse did it.
It, and the owner got tossed or the horse rolled on it....both common occurrences' back then.

If he's going to use the rifle, then he should repair it enough to not do further damage to it.
If he isn't going to use it, I'd just clean it up and display it somewhere.

Too bad no one knows the history behind it. Any way to trace by serial number who purchased and when?
Posted By: 99guy Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

Given the time line for the rifle and the amount of damage done, I still think a horse did it.
It, and the owner got tossed or the horse rolled on it....both common occurrences' back then.

I'd agree. It was almost certainly being carried in a scabbard and the horse went down on that side. Makes one wonder who would be wealthy enough at the time to buy that gun and carry it on a horse. Probably a wealthy rancher. The guy took the gun out to his shop and put some screws in it, back in the scabbard it went, good as new.

As old as it is, it probably almost certainly wasn't thrown out of an airplane, but it make a good story. grin
Posted By: kdog Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20
The fellow that posted it ,,,Its was his uncles rifle ,,,,No one in the family knew he had it ...He was born in 1920 ,,
So he was not the original owner ,,,,,No one in the family wanted it and it was being pitched in a pile for the dumpster ,,,,So nephew ,,(poster) grabbed it up ,,,,,,,,Ive been chatting with him ,,,,,,He sold it today to a collector and this guy is having it restored ,,,,,,,,,
Posted By: damnesia Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20
The guy probably bought it, had it shipped via USPS and it arrived with the stock broke in half.
Posted By: ctw Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20
Well then move along
Posted By: 99guy Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20
Originally Posted by damnesia
The guy probably bought it, had it shipped via USPS and it arrived with the stock broke in half.

I hadn't thought of that possibility. Made me laugh.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20
The fellow that posted it ,,,Its was his uncles rifle ,,,,No one in the family knew he had it ...He was born in 1920 ,,
So he was not the original owner ,,,,,No one in the family wanted it and it was being pitched in a pile for the dumpster ,,,,So nephew ,,(poster) grabbed it up ,,,,,,,,Ive been chatting with him ,,,,,,He sold it today to a collector and this guy is having it restored ,,,,,,,,,

Be interesting to see if he follows through once he sees the price tag for it. Hope if it's done, it's done well.
Guy paid a pretty penny for it the way it is ,,He gonna have some jack in it when done
Found this from last year https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...ver-Action-Rifle/lotInformation/49409535
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20
Well, that's not a standard Leader Grade. Custom engraving scenes, stippled receiver and game scene engraved on the bottom are all extras. Pretty big extras..

Here's a top of the line restore on a Leader Grade from 2 years ago.. sold for 40% or so of that one. And no matter how good the stock guy is, I don't think he can make the facebook stock look like this one.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/73/50/savage-arms-corporation--1899

I wish him all the best, hope it comes out looking like new. Heck, if a restored one is worth $5000 then maybe I better look at refinishing mine. grin
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Posted By: Poconojack Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20

The screws look kind of modern.
A New Yorker fellow gave Mid 4 figures for that TRASH CAN find
Posted By: Savage94C Re: Savage 99 facebook - 11/20/20
Be interesting to see any final result of restoration if done. I knew a guy years ago in my LEO days that worked for a refuse collection business. They'd drop off dumpsters to people requesting them when they moved. He told me that you'd be surprised what people toss during a move especially if they are concerned about weight and/or volume in a major move. He said they'd always check through the contents when they delivered the dumpsters to landfills, said they'd always find things of value, at least in their eyes. Advised the higher the income of the persons moving, the neater the finds made.
© 24hourcampfire