Home
Posted By: Blacktail53 99 question... - 11/20/20
Does anyone know or have a general idea why Savage put the little twin stripes or rings on the tip of some of the fuller forearms? At first I thought the owner(s) did this for some reason, but I see it quite often now.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 99 question... - 11/20/20
Never mind, I found it!

Moving up, we go to the model R’s and RS’s. These are a common 99 found pretty easily still today. They were the most produced model Savage put out. The 99R’s and RS’s were built two different ways, the pre-1950 models had a lighter stock set and the double groove on the end of the forearm was a tell tale sign of an early R.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 question... - 11/20/20
The double rings around the front of the forearm is only on the 99R's and 99RS's from the 1930's and 1940's, and they are not easy rifles to find. Not 'rare', but definitely not common.

The 99R'sfrom the 1950's are common, but don't have the double rings around the front of the forearm.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 99 question... - 11/20/20
Originally Posted by Calhoun
The double rings around the front of the forearm is only on the 99R's and 99RS's from the 1930's and 1940's, and they are not easy rifles to find. Not 'rare', but definitely not common.

The 99R'sfrom the 1950's are common, but don't have the double rings around the front of the forearm.

I can only assume that the rings were ornamental, as I can’t see any other reason for them.
Does make for a pretty quick identification badge too....
Yeah, there's no functional use to the rings. Why are they there? Must just be for cosmetic value, somebody liked it.
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: 99 question... - 11/20/20
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

Moving up, we go to the model R’s and RS’s. These are a common 99 found pretty easily still today. They were the most produced model Savage put out. The 99R’s and RS’s were built two different ways, the pre-1950 models had a lighter stock set and the double groove on the end of the forearm was a tell tale sign of an early R.

R/RS most produced model .. is this right? I would have thought the EG.
I think several models beat out the 99R for number made. The 99EG, postmil 99C, postmil 99E, possibly the 1950's+ 99F.
Posted By: 99guy Re: 99 question... - 11/21/20
My money is on the EG. By a wide margin.
Posted By: damnesia Re: 99 question... - 11/21/20
Ditto on the EG I maybe the 50s F. I'd actually like to own an older R with the inlay on the forestock. Seem to be few and far inbetween.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 99 question... - 11/21/20
The information I sited above came from this particular website.

https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?166-What-model-99-do-I-have
Author (Mad Dog?) says R's were most produced but the EG's the most common? confused
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 question... - 11/21/20
He knows better than to think it's more common than the EG. He's the one who coined tomato stakes for EG's. Betting it's just a typo. In fact he says:

Originally Posted by Mad_Dog
The 99EG, although Savage states that the R’s were the most produced 99’s the model 99EG seems to be the most commo
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99 question... - 11/21/20
I'd never read that before. Surprised Joe would make a statement like that. Wonder what Savage source he is citing??
Written 8 years ago...
© 24hourcampfire