Home
I need to take a deep breath and get my blood pressure down. I just bought another and I couldn't be happier. It is another K, in 250-3000 with a 24 inch barrel. So far as I know there are only 2 that we know of. Mr. Royal owns one and the one I just bought is a consignment gun so I have no idea who owned it. Maybe someday I can find more about it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: ctw Re: Added another to the herd - 11/27/20
Very nice 2020 has been good to you gun wise.
That's about all I can say.
Beauty eh? Wowser.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Added another to the herd - 11/27/20
Holy cow! I really like that one. Caliber and condition makes it a double winner in my book. Congratulations!!
Posted By: 99guy Re: Added another to the herd - 11/27/20
Beautiful rifle.
That's a fine rifle. Congrats!
Posted By: 513JAKE Re: Added another to the herd - 11/27/20
Congrats LBK, that’s a grand slam!

I’ve often wondered who fits the combination of having that kind of spare cheddar AND happens to be looking at guns so soon after being posted for sale. Good to finally see some of the dots connected.
Originally Posted by 99guy
Beautiful rifle.

+1 sick cool sick
Nice find! Gotta love those K's!!!

Originally Posted by olgrouser
Beautiful rifle.

+1 sick cool sick
Posted By: damnesia Re: Added another to the herd - 11/27/20
Wow, that is a sweet rifle. Congratulations.

What do people think the 24" barrel adds to the price? Not asking how much was paid for the rifle, but as I understand it the 24" barrel would would be considered special order.
Originally Posted by damnesia

What do people think the 24" barrel adds to the price? Not asking how much was paid for the rifle, but as I understand it the 24" barrel would would be considered special order.

That is a sweet rife. If there are only 2 that are known, and a guy with money wants one bad it’s a wild guess.
Really nice! Great one to add to the herd.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Added another to the herd - 11/27/20
What is the serial range? Is the barrel address correct for the serial range? What is the front sight?

That baby has condition! Very NICE.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Added another to the herd - 11/27/20
Very, very nice.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Added another to the herd - 11/27/20
grin Way to go LBK !!!! nice one,
OH MY!!!
Sweeeet!!!
Originally Posted by Rick99
What is the serial range? Is the barrel address correct for the serial range? What is the front sight?

Rick, serial range is 305XXX As to your questions, yes, the 3 digit serial number is on the barrel, with correct "manufactured by" barrel I quickly sent this rifle to Mr. Royal for photgraphing and insertion into his upcoming book on engraved 99s and to help confirm it's authenticity, which he did. . In phone conversations with Mr Royal, it was established that there are only two known factory 24" barreled 99Ks in 250-3000. I have one and Mr Royal has the other, making for another rare and unique discovery in the world of 99 collection.

As to your question on the front sight

Originally Posted by Rick99

I wish the wood had a little more figure to it, but I'll live with that.
Goes nicely with that one of a kind K.

Very well done sir.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Added another to the herd - 11/27/20

I'm not sure the barrel length adds anything to it's $ value other than being cool and unusual. I would not pay any less for a rifle in that condition with a 22" barrel...

The $ value is determined by it's condition IMO. Which appears to be crispy.

That is a very high serial number for an integral front sight. Anybody have any insight on that?

Bent tab safety? Can't tell from the pictures.
Posted By: damnesia Re: Added another to the herd - 11/28/20
I have a lettered Marlin 1894 with a 30" barrel with a DOM of 1901. Apparently that makes the rifle worth more than a "normal" length barrel. For me it's difficult to believe a non-standard barrel length ( especially a longer barrel ) doesn't affect the price. I could be totally wrong and that is why i asked the question.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Added another to the herd - 11/28/20
I have a lettered Marlin 1894 with a 30" barrel with a DOM of 1901. Apparently that makes the rifle worth more than a "normal" length barrel. For me it's difficult to believe a non-standard barrel length ( especially a longer barrel ) doesn't affect the price. I could be totally wrong and that is why i asked the question.

The length of the barrel would not affect the price I would pay for the above rifle. The letter does not mention the barrel length or anything about special order or it being sent back for a different factory barrel, etc., etc. It's a beautiful rifle with a 24" barrel. Who knows why or how? Doesn't really matter.

I'd be willing to pay a fair price based on it's condition

That's all I'm saying. You asked the question, I answered it.

Others may disagree and that is their prerogative.
That is a beautiful rifle!
Congratulations!
Way to go Steven! Very Nice K, Glad ya got it!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Added another to the herd - 11/28/20

I'm not sure the barrel length adds anything to it's $ value other than being cool and unusual. I would not pay any less for a rifle in that condition with a 22" barrel...

That is a very high serial number for an integral front sight. Anybody have any insight on that?

Never heard it referred to as "bent tab safety" but in the first picture that "bent tab" sure appears to me as being there tucked up under the lever.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Added another to the herd - 11/28/20

Never heard it referred to as "bent tab safety" but in the first picture that "bent tab" sure appears to me as being at home there tucked up under the lever.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Added another to the herd - 11/28/20
[quote=Rug3

Never heard it referred to as "bent tab safety" but in the first picture that "bent tab" sure appears to me as being at home there tucked up under the lever.[/quote]

Some were "bent" to shape from sheet metal, some were forged/milled to shape from solid stock. Not sure of the eras for them. Right fellas? I don't recall us having a discussion about them.
Impressive.....

Well done!
I see the factory letter states that is was shipped in January of 28 which means it was almost certainly manufactured in 27, so knowing that, the integral front sight makes perfect sense. I have not seen many K's with an integral front sight, in fact I can't say that I recall ever seeing one.

Bent tab safety would also be in order.

A special gun considering it's condition.

In hand, it would probably make the hair on my arms stand up....

Edit:

I wonder if it would be worth the investment of another letter to see if there is additional information in the ledgers that Mr. Clark did not include in his letter? Might be worth a shot...?
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Added another to the herd - 11/28/20
The Model 20/26 used a 24" .250 or .300 barrel. Might have been a leftover barrel from that model.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Added another to the herd - 11/28/20
I have 99K serial #3094xx with the integral front sight. The gun LBK bought has the correct barrel address for 1926-28. With the correct barrel address and the correct transition sight it would be almost impossible for it to have left the factory with a different barrel. I will do a comparison of the two 24" barrel 250-3000 K's in my upcoming book.
Taking this a little further, I have a 99G in 303, serial #2780xx with a 20" lightweight barrel, a 99G in 300, serial #2909xx with the medium weight barrel and the pinched front sight, and the 24" barrel 250-3000 K, serial #2986xx, medium weight barrel and pinched front sight. I'm sure the members here can pin this down a little closer.
Posted By: BIG_JOE Re: Added another to the herd - 11/28/20
One fine looking rifle. Great find Steve.
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
One fine looking rifle. Great find Steve.

Thanks, Joe.
I have not even seen this rifle as yet, but in the bottom picture of my initial post look at the safety tab. It sure looks like a bent tab to me
"Most" letters aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell. VERY few letters mention barrel length other than what barrel lengths the subject gun was offered in. Some don't even mention that. As long as all the numbers match on the rifle and nothing looks funky as in "re-stamp" or "over-stamp" I am good to go. I had several conversations about this gun and I trust the folks I talked with. I remember the words from a very smart lady that were uttered to her husband. "Buy quality, not quantity". I never forgot them. I paid allot for this gun and I would do it all over again. It is what it is.
The gun is right. I would not argue that point. It’s a great gun.
Very nice, Steven, that's a keeper.
Posted By: viking Re: Added another to the herd - 11/28/20
A gem.
Posted By: steve99 Re: Added another to the herd - 11/29/20
very pleased for you LBK. Great looking K!
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Added another to the herd - 11/30/20
As long as it's worth it to you Steve that's all that matters.
Well, George, if it brings you out of the woodwork it makes it more worth it. It has condition and rarity. And like I have always said money is useless unless you spend it. Nan and I have pulled most of our money out of the bank. It is ludicrous to get $0.020 in interest on 25,000.00+ To me, this rifle is priceless. God, it is GREAT to hear from you. Welcome back. Drop by more often. I hope you and the Mrs. are well.
I picked it up last night. Tom Mitchell's description was perfect, Those 3 little prick marks on the receiver that you can see in the next to the last picture, had some touch up that is perfectly visible, so I have no problem. I knew they were there before I bought the gun.His packing is right up there with the best, and the gun arrived in perfect condition. If I had the opportunity to back up to the beginning, the story would end the same way. My itch got scratched and that's all that matters. It's a 98-99% gun overall.
Glad it worked out for you and your still happy!
Tom is a good guy. I've bought 3 99s from him, 2 Ks and everything was great.
He knows what he is doing and damn! He gets some nice guns to sell!
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Glad it worked out for you and your still happy!
Tom is a good guy. I've bought 3 99s from him, 2 Ks and everything was great.
He knows what he is doing and damn! He gets some nice guns to sell!

When you GET what you PAID for, nothing else matters. This was the first time I dealt with him and he treated my like an old friend. Once in awhile, if you want to play, you are going to PAY.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Added another to the herd - 12/08/20
I don't remember if I mentioned it before but he shipped the gun to me so I could photograph it for my new book. he was very friendly and easy to deal with. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him or have him sell guns for me.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I don't remember if I mentioned it before but he shipped the gun to me so I could photograph it for my new book. he was very friendly and easy to deal with. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him or have him sell guns for me.

VERY true, I just got off the phone with him. You won't get anything cheap, but you WILL get a gun that is RIGHT............
Posted By: JeffG Re: Added another to the herd - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Very nice, Steven, that's a keeper.

Tell Joe how funny that statement really is Steve!

Anyway, Congratulations! it's nice to see these special pieces land in the hands of people who really appreciate them! You Three Yankees are going to have to get together charter the Savage Museum tour bus around Your region, I'll volunteer to drive!!
Wow. That one is in excellent condition. Congrats.
Posted By: 260SS Re: Added another to the herd - 12/08/20
Very nice, Steven, enjoy!
Posted By: texken Re: Added another to the herd - 12/11/20
my K 250 has the same front sight
© 24hourcampfire