Home
Posted By: Mongrel Savage 23C bolt action... - 12/01/20
Are there any around. I just ran across a write up on these a couple weeks ago. Seems it was chambered in 32/20. I have a thousand or so pieces of new brass and good which molds for this caliber. The prices I saw for this gun were a range of 190 to 350 dollars. That's something a poor boy might afford. It seems like a nice little truck gun. Are there any to be found?

Mongrel
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 23C bolt action... - 12/01/20
Send a PM to tal35..
Posted By: Mongrel Re: Savage 23C bolt action... - 12/01/20
I sent a pm to tal35..

Mongrel
I just sold a real nice one to one of the club members.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Savage 23C bolt action... - 12/01/20
I had more trouble finding the 32-20 than the 25-20. They are out there but not common.

FYI... don't buy a 1st version that doesn't have a magazine as they are a hard find and pricey.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Savage 23C bolt action... - 12/01/20
I have a 23C I stumbled on at a gun show a few years ago. I think I paid 225 and it's in nearly new condition. Nobody at the show was interested in it so it came home with me. If you find a nice 23C then I think it deserves a better life than being a truck gun. Get a 340 in appropriate condition for doing that work
Posted By: Mesa Re: Savage 23C bolt action... - 12/01/20
I sold mine to Mule Deer some years ago. It was the earlier model with the "Cheese Grater" magazine. Kept a late model 23B, since I was set up to reload .25-20 and had a lot of brass. They are very interesting and useful rifles. Design is "pure Savage"!
Posted By: captjohn Re: Savage 23C bolt action... - 12/01/20
I second the opinion of 340 as a good truck gun, picked one up last summer just cause I could and had limited expectations, had a ton of 30-30 handloads laying around from 30 years ago when my dad was shooting alot, ran some 120 grains thru it, bingo we have a shooter, has that side mount scope with a cheap bushnell on it, but i dare anything to walk within a 100 yards, and the action on this low end 40+ year old gun is far superior than the plastic clunky drop the clip and break stuff that all manufactures make now. Mine is a canadian verison it was sold I think at Western Auto stores back in the day. I need a gun to burn up the ammo LOL I hate 94 winchesters LOL
Posted By: Mongrel Re: Savage 23C bolt action... - 01/22/21
I'm still looking for a model 23....btw.....is the 340 action the same length as the 23? I believe I remodeled a 340 and made loads in 30/30 for a local kid about 10 or 12 years ago. It was an ok shooter but not moa
The 340 series is a totally different rifle and is long enough to accommodate the 30-30 whereas the centerfire rifles in the 19 and 23 series were only made to fit the .22 Hornet, 25-20, and 32-20. Someone on this site claimed to have a proto-type 23 in 44-40, but I don't recall who that was or if he posted a picture of it.

I've owned a few 23Bs, 23Cs, 23Ds, and a 19H over the years, but never cared for any of them enough to keep them around.
© 24hourcampfire