Home
Posted By: Calhoun Savage 99CE and box - 12/13/20
Did the Savage 99CE come with the nice box that was made for them, or was that an extra option?

I thought it was an option because at one time Numrich had a batch of leftover boxes for sale. I picked one up. If it came with the 99CE and they knew how many 99CE's they were making (1000), not sure why they'd have had extra boxes.

The 1996 catalog makes no mention of a box when it describes the 99CE.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99CE and box - 12/13/20
A 99CE in the box.. just for reference.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/993043719/Savage-99-Centennial-Edition-300-Savag.htm

[Linked Image from gunsamerica.com]
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Savage 99CE and box - 12/13/20
Ralph would know. He bought the special order .308. Only one built I believe.
Posted By: cmhjohn Re: Savage 99CE and box - 12/15/20
The box was indeed an option and I believe it was an additional $270. Probably had folks who bought the gun only thus creating extra boxes.
Posted By: cmhjohn Re: Savage 99CE and box - 12/15/20
Just double checked and the case was listed as " $ 299.00 retail value is just $199.00 in our special offer to RMEF members" Gun alone was $2750.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Savage 99CE and box - 12/15/20
Thanks for the facts John! It surprises me they would be that chincey with a hi dollar commemorative.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Savage 99CE and box - 12/15/20
I think Johns reference is for the RMEF rifle. That case was an option for the rifle. I always thought the CE came with a box but I have no proof at the moment.
Every 99 Centennial I've seen was with a box. I assume that was the standard offering of the time.

We'll probably never know the details, but, Savage planned for this commemorative rifle, say 1000 in quantity. Knowing full well they'd sell 2000 if they could.
But back to the 1000 quantity, Savage would be responsible for production fall out, service and support so would order over and beyond the 1000 required by some amount. 1250 is a guess. Only Savage's production planner would know for sure.
So Savage produced and sold all they could with some boxes left over. Save the leftover hardware and sell the boxes is a likely scenario.
JMO
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99CE and box - 12/15/20
It might not have been 250 leftover boxes, that's just the number stuck in my head for some reason. They might have had 20 leftover boxes.

Sounds like it was all 99CE's got the box. Cool, like to learn something every day - today's taken care of. grin
© 24hourcampfire