Home
Savage display exhibit ,,,,,,,,,,Hope this works ......................It on Glass Plate negative

Click top right ,,,then you can blow it up ....Not too much or it distorts

https://cdm17210.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/lpe/id/4017/rec/1
Well done!!!!

Beautiful.

I see one carved stock, possibly a second. I'm not greedy, I'll settle for the pistol grip, checkered saddle ring carbine in the case. grin
Theres a smaller case to the right ,,,Has hunting at the Frisco ? ,,What is that ?
And at the bottom of the pyramid case has 34 c street and 44 3rd street ,,,Is that their address in Utica ?
I dont see any sling swivels ;-)
I have to say for the time period ...........Thats a Pretty BAD A$$ PHOTO ..........Look on the left side where the acid or whatever they used back then ,made a wierd effect on the photo
What are those 3 at the top of the pyramid on the left side ? lots of engraving and woodwork
Awesome
Nice work kdog! That's the best photo yet.

Not sure what the "savage rifle... frisco" signage is about yet.
The "street address" is just the expo floor map location. Savage Arms was at 311 Turner, Utica.

I'll be study'in this pic more....
Im in AWE ,,,,,,,,Museum responded this am ... said he passed it to another dept ,,,but gave me a link to wade through ,,,,and this popped up ..............
Thanks Kdog, I've looked for info on this for years! This helps a lot with what I was looking for. I'm now looking for the 1903 with the carved stock in the second photo, any leads to it's whereabouts would be appreciated.

Added a 5th detail - 3 that look like they might be cutaways on the counter, an 1899, a 1904 & a 1903.

Attached picture 00 1904 expo 4.JPG
Attached picture 00 1904 expo 3.JPG
Attached picture 00 1904 expo 2.JPG
Attached picture 00 1904 expo 1.JPG
Attached picture Savage 1904 display cutaways.JPG
"Hunting in Frisco - Ozarks On The Pike" seems to be the 1904 World's Fair public shooting gallery.

Peters ammunition used exclusively there.
No problem ...Happy i could help ......My neck is a little strained from the research ,,,,,But it was easier than i thought ,,,,,,,,,,Maybe the museum will come up with some more ......Remington was there ,,,but i can find anything on them ...Ctw helped with some info he sent .....Would like to see it in person ....
Wonder what happened to that case ? Does Savage have any pics of these in house ?
That picture isn't up in Savage's lobby, and I don't think they have much old memorabilia sitting around in the back. They got rid of a lot of it a long time ago.

Once you rest up, there's a few more opportunities... The research never ends. grin

But you did good...

*) Savage had a display at the San Francisco Pan Pacific exhibition in 1915 where they highlighted their new 250-3000 rifles. I have a so-so magazine picture of that somewhere.

*) As well, Savage displayed at the 1898 Trans-Mississippi Exhibition in Omaha, Nebraska - though I have no idea how large their display was. I've found a picture of the Winchester display from that.

*) And finally, they were at the 1900 Paris World's Fair.

Winchester displays at 1895 Expo and 1898 Omaha Expo

Aha.. think I found the San Francisco display from 1915. Looks like they were still setting up, or taking down. Awfully empty.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Gene it might be buried under the golf course .....The large Ferris wheel at the fair .....the main axle weighed 25 tons .....a fellow that worked for the demolition company said its buried in forest park ,,where the present golf course is today in Forest Park They looked for it in the 40s ,,,and found some bearings and steel plates It cost almost a half a mill to put that up ...and tore it down 7 months later ,,And made a profit at 25 cents a ride .........Unbelievable ...Those palace buildings ,some were pricey 200-300 k ,,,some only 10 thousand ,,,,,but most were profitable ,,,even at 15 cents to 25 cents a ride ,,
Some were elaborate and massive ,,to be torn down just 7 months later
I got to repeat that is a very good find, I looked closer at more of it and found what appear to be cutaways, added the picture above, maybe they did have an 1899 cutaway there. It looks like the dark areas are holes in the cheek and side of the receiver on the 1899 & 1903.

[Linked Image]
Just received some info for the Museum library in St louis .....The original pic i put up this am ,,,,Can be had digitized from them for 15.00 .....i can put up the info if anyone is interested ,,,,,,It was just put online last year Jan 2019 .....So it maybe why noone has come up with it ,,,,,,,She is digging at the moment for more photos so hope to hear from her tomorrow or so
Yes sir I am interested
I am glad the info did not get shipped off the help others as was suggested to me. Hopefully she can find more
Originally Posted by GeneB
I got to repeat that is a very good find, I looked closer at more of it and found what appear to be cutaways, added the picture above, they maybe they did have an 1899 cutaway there. It looks like the dark areas are holes in the check and side of the receiver on the 1899 & 1903.

[Linked Image]

Those are large cartridges in that photo.
CTW ,,,,i sent another email to you ....She is digging some more ...Said there are 2 more boxes to go through that are not posted on-line YET ...... OK the zero resolution undigitized can be had for 15.00 .....Lets see what else she comes up with ...........She is only in the office thursday and friday ...and something about not back in till Jan 7 th ............i will forward her email to each or post it here ? ,,,,
And looking for the winners of the displays as well which i was informed by ctw that Savage won silver ....They sent that off to another dept to look into Documents div ,,Photo div etc
This is a fantastic bit of research results!!
Theres another display case ,to the left of the indian fellow , that doesnt show up in the glass negative i posted Heres the link, for the museum ,to surf through if you choose 103 pages worth ,,,,,

https://mohistory.org/collections?t...0and%20Prints%20Collections&images=0
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
I got to repeat that is a very good find, I looked closer at more of it and found what appear to be cutaways, added the picture above, they maybe they did have an 1899 cutaway there. It looks like the dark areas are holes in the check and side of the receiver on the 1899 & 1903.

[Linked Image]

Those are large cartridges in that photo.

As are the holes in the end of the barrels. Stompers.
So when did savage offer or manufacture cartridges?
1895 was the first savage brand cartridges made by Union metallic cartridge company (UMC)
1900 SAVAGE Made their own when other manufacturers refused to sell to them
Around 1928 Unites State Cartridge started making them for Savage
Yea kdog, this is a wonderful picture! Glad you found it. Thank you for sharing it too.
GeneB was probably up all night searching for the Savage gallery rifles.
The picture deserves posting, so........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
No problem ,,,I thought it was worth sharing ,,,According to the Museum ,,There are No Copyright licenses ,,,,,,,,,,So its free to use ...Unless someone comes alive from the worlds fair It is an Awesome photo when before it was just an Image of the true photo ......And its a Glass plate negative ,,Whatever that is ,,,Just sounds cool
Some of the competition -
J. Stevens
Winchester
Winchester's shooting range

One for Loggah - https://cdm17210.contente/id/5914
In another reference they say it burnt down the day after it opened and had to be rebuilt... maybe they used really bad wood?

That adds some perspective. Those booths make Savages look like new comers. They were....
Neat stuff. Thanks to all who researched this, and for the links.

I wish that such exhibitions were done today. The only thing even remotely like that exhibition I ever attended was a world's fair, Expo67 at Montreal.
I can't imagine the kind of money or ambition that went into those displays, could be duplicated today, even with 3D web pages!
Wouldn't you love to be able to read those cards that are under every gun?
I like the savage display better than the Winchester

The larger ammunition was probably showing what they were capable of?

Any sign of marlin?
Originally Posted by ctw
Any sign of marlin?
You can search the current database and nothing for Marlin turns up. They apparently are still adding pictures, as Kdog stated they just started digitizing these last year. I did find Peters Cartridge Company -
Peters 1
Peters 2

It was a big place, lots of early automobiles -
Studebaker's anyone?
More Studebaker's, maybe all they had at that time?

Locomotives -
link 1
link 2 Looks like an articulated 0-6-6-?, did not realize they had something like that then.
link 3
link 4

1500 HP gas engine

I think I found the 'biggest' locomotive, an 0-6-6-0 introduced 1904 by one source 1900 by another and called "Old Maude" after a cartoon mule" Link to Wikipedia

Some pretty large locomotives in greenfield village , definetly a worthwhile place to visit.
Concatenated Order of Hoo hoo ,,,,,Thats a mouthfull

ctw ,,,,,,,,,,Sent you a link see if it makes it ,,,,,,,,,,This website doesnt allow or i cant figure out how to
link it On the awards

The Manufacturers Palace was 700 k to construct
The Stevens booth is nice too ,,,,didnt know the were even there ,,,,,,Schutzens in their case Cool
I was born in the wrong Era
Did the manufacturers have to pay for their booths or were they provided by the organizers, and allocated on their perceived status? (If so, stands to reason Winchester would have a more palatial display than the relatively new upstart Savage.)
Mean gene has been doing some digging ,,,,,I dont know why but my neck starts hurting with computer stuff ,,,,and concentrating lol.....Nix-ay on the digging in cali or where ever else you were trying to send me ...........More intrigued because of Savage being in my home town ...I was born right across the hwy from the Zoo and Forest Park ,,,,,But in the wrong era ....
Yes they had to pay for their booth space ,,,,,,How much i dont know ,,,with more digging ,its possible to find out ......I still dont understand the demolishing of high dollar Palaces (Buildings )
Originally Posted by 99guy
Wouldn't you love to be able to read those cards that are under every gun?

Looks like some military rifles in lower left display.
1903's & 1899's in the pyramid.
A number of deluxe engraved, carved, pistol grips, globe front sights, tang sights....
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Did the manufacturers have to pay for their booths or were they provided by the organizers, and allocated on their perceived status? (If so, stands to reason Winchester would have a more palatial display than the relatively new upstart Savage.)

I'd bet my boots they had to pay. And the spots in front of the entrance door and and at the ends of isles and near the bathrooms and food vendors are always coveted and thus bring a premium. More money bought more and better booth space.

[quote=ctw]Any sign of marlin?
You can search the current database and nothing for Marlin turns up. They apparently are still adding pictures, as Kdog stated they just started digitizing these last year. I did find Peters Cartridge Company -
[quote/]

Those are all great photos ......Pretty clear ,,,Amazing job they did at the Museum
Some of the photos they have gathered up from donations after a family has passed on ,,,,,,Im sure they had a group of photographers employed by the Fair as well ,,,,,,,

Used to work in the city ,,but Have nt been down there in 15 20 years ,,,,,Its gone so downhill ,,,,Havent even been to the New Ball stadium built in 2009

Havent seen anything on Marlin
Wow the winchester exhibit has a Pyramid of Ammo .....Thats an impressive display ,,,but you can see as much of the hardwares Is MeanGene the fighting machine a train enthusiast ?
Wonder what they used that Cockerill engine in ? Looks like a tug boat or shipliner engine ,,,,,Diesel just came out in 1903 0r 04 for ships
Ithaca was there ,,but i cant find the pics ,,,,,,,,, yet
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Which part? I haven't been able to make out any muskets at all, figured if they have one it must be on the back side.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Which part? I haven't been able to make out any muskets at all, figured if they have one it must be on the back side.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That bottom one is a saddle ring carbine lying on it's ring. The barrel is too short for a musket. You can just barely make out the ring underneath it.

I had to blow it up to tell.
You're right. I though I could see some long wood on one of those shelves. Maybe not.
Otherwise I does look like Savage's best of the best behind the glass.
That carbine buttplate and a couple of cartridges next to it make that rifle look weird. I don't know why they'd lay it on it's ring. Had me confused..

There's two sides of the display we can't see, I'd lay odds on there being a musket there - even if it's the "transition" musket.
Found out the Case photo is at the st louis library archives ,,,Its 50 dollars if you want a pic of that .....
finding out more info this afternoon hopefully
If you want a copy Need to email the Library which is a different entity of the Museum ,,,,,,,But on the link of the glass negative ..................It is free to use Download etc ..Unless you are using it in a BOOK ,or other Monetary venues ................Unless you call them .....They will send a link of the phototo download to a Harddrive to take somewhere ,kinko etc for you to print out ......If used in a publication of sort there is a fee of like 50 dollars
Awesome picture.

I would love to look at that display for a few hours.

Different world back then.
You can see part of the Savage display in the Winchester photo...left side of photo.

Kdog, you earned a seat a little closer to the fire and a mug from a fresh brewed pot. wink

I think I will link all the Savage display threads into the Misc Good Things sticky. If there are others in the history files let me know.
Thanks ...Im having the Stevens Arms exhibit and the Savage exhibit ordered ,,,,,,,,,,But dont think she will be able to get to it till after the first of the year ...I can wait ,,,,,But i dont want to
United States Cartridge Co

Attached picture UNITED States Cartridge Co.JPG
Seems like a strange display for a cartridge company. It's a better layout for people to get around.
Kind of what I thought as well, they did not manufacture firearms?
The Exhibit was a collection of Military Arms along with their Ammunition
© 24hourcampfire