Home
Posted By: Blitz Receiver - 12/29/20
The receiver I got from a member here, corelokt, has a S/N of 176280. I don't remember what it came from, it had been parkerized, is in great shape. The nearest I can tell it was made in 1916, which seems it may have come from a 250-3000.

I can't seem to find any correspondence from the purchase, and would like to know what it can be used on.

Any insight from all of you wizened oracles would be of great help!

Blitz
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Receiver - 12/29/20
I'd make a 38-55 or a 32-40 out of that bad boy. Get ahold of ctw and have him screw you something together.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Receiver - 12/29/20
The rotor and cartridge guide will tell the tale.
Posted By: Blitz Re: Receiver - 12/29/20
It is an empty receiver. No internal parts at all.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Receiver - 12/29/20
Paperweight , with no inner parts it could have been anything. You could send to Cody for a letter and you would find out what it originally was. could have been 303,30-30,25-35, 22 h.p. 32-40,38-55, and 250-3000, lots of combinations there. eek Don
Posted By: Blitz Re: Receiver - 12/29/20
So as long as I get all the correct internals for a given caliber, it should work. So basically, all the same receiver, different internals.

What is Cody getting for letters now a days and where do I send the request?
Posted By: Loggah Re: Receiver - 12/29/20
Thats a lot of small pieces to try and locate, i also think you will have to find parts over s/n 90.000 to make sure there correct for that receiver. I think the cody letter is fairly expensive. I think the info is in a sticky up top. Don
Posted By: ctw Re: Receiver - 12/30/20
Critical to caliber parts are the rotor and cartridge guide. All else should be the same well maybe the safety.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Receiver - 12/30/20
Originally Posted by ctw
Critical to caliber parts are the rotor and cartridge guide. All else should be the same well maybe the safety.

Should be but aren't.
Posted By: iskra Re: Receiver - 12/30/20
Restoring someone's residual "parts receiver", seeming a highly questionable endeavor! Not to sound harsh, but this more the kind of thing passed from owner to owner as "reality" sets in! A "hot potato" now in your lap. I was conjuring just such assessment as the term in an above Post: "paperweight".
Sorry, but my frank assessment and...
Just my take.
Best, Good Luck & Happy New Year!
John
Posted By: Blitz Re: Receiver - 12/30/20
I believe my current 1915 HP 22 Was the reason I acquired it, to replace the current one. Been about 6 years and I don’t have any correspondence from the seller. Just might keep it as a “paper weight”.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Receiver - 12/30/20
I have one just like it, except it has a 303 barrel attached,came with a bunch of savage junk i got off a old timer. dont know what i'll do with mine either after i remove th barrel. probably become a "paperweight" also. Don
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Receiver - 12/30/20
If it was any caliber other than 250-3000 the receiver is probably not strong enough for 250-3K or 300
Posted By: svg250 Re: Receiver - 12/30/20
I also have an empty receiver, 5x.xxx, would be nice to find out what caliber it was, and then have it built out into rifle again, would depend on the caliber I guess
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Receiver - 12/31/20
svg 250, no high pressure calibers were produced at that time in the 1899. You should be safe with anything like 303 Sav, 30-30, 25-35, 32-40 or 38-55. These were the calibers available in the 1899 at that time.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Receiver - 12/31/20
They are a pita to fit and build from scratch.

Be prepared to try every part in your box looking for the right ones. You better have a bunch of extra parts, all of which are expensive to buy and require time to locate and accumulate. You need to understand every part interaction intimately and how to troubleshoot things that don't work right. You need tools, time, and money out the ass.

PLUS, a non-matching numbers gun has zero collector value when complete, and is only a shooter. Good luck finding vintage wood, and even when you do you will pay dearly for it and it probably won't fit right. Frankly, It's more trouble than it's worth and the parts are worth far more than the completed rifle. If we were smart we'd part out every junker gun we could get our hands on. I say all that not to discourage anyone from trying, but be prepared, this is not a quick process where you just order all the parts and screw them together. These aren't AR's.

Now, anyone sitting on extra parts you don't want anymore get ahold of me because I love working on these old Savages. LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

250 takedown with a fitted 410 barrel coming along. Gunna be a great truck gun

Little Shop of Horrors

LOL
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Receiver - 12/31/20

Looks like you know what you’re doing Roy.
Trial and error is a good teacher. The key is understanding parts interaction. These Savages are pretty "ingenius". Not sure if that's the word I'd use. Diabolical is probably better.
Posted By: ctw Re: Receiver - 12/31/20
So every rifle that comes from you has been tinkered with? Is that what your saying?

If you start with a working 30-30 and you want a working 38-55 what parts need to be changed?
Originally Posted by ctw
So every rifle that comes from you has been tinkered with? Is that what your saying?

If you start with a working 30-30 and you want a working 38-55 what parts need to be changed?

If that is directed at me, no. Not hardly. The vast majority are untouched, but I intentionally buy project rifles to play with. I must be the only gun looney to ever enjoy it??? I appreciate collectors as much as anyone, but I also like to understand how they work.

Chris, I've only rebarreled one Savage to 38-55, and it was originally a 303. Loggah really helped me on that one by showing me where to relieve metal at the front of the rotor to make room for the 38-55 cartridge. I don't remember if anything else was needed to make it work. I doubt it.

As with any of this, it's best to start with a factory rifle in your hands in the cartridge you desire to use as a blueprint. It has all the answers.
Posted By: Blitz Re: Receiver - 12/31/20
What a wonderful rabbit hole we went down with a question about a receiver...

You fella's NEVER cease to amaze me.

Blitz
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Receiver - 12/31/20
Sounds like a labor of love like writing a book on guns. Neither are profitable from the financial standpoint.
Kind of like being a musician. You do it because you love it and it brings you, and at times, others, joy. I have spent FAR more money on music related items than I have made using them. Still, I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is a tonic for my soul than can't be gotten through artificial means.

Here's hoping that All of us have a better 2021!

A friend posted a picture of the Replacements on my FB page that had this caption:

On New Years Eve, the theme for the evening should be "2020 24 hours to go..."

Blitz
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Receiver - 12/31/20
...I want to be sedated!"

Ah for simpler better times when frenzy was experienced in three minute bursts compliments of the Ramones, and then we could take a deep breath and resume a placid existence!
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Receiver - 12/31/20
Beat you to it. I was at my buddy's house that got me hooked on IPS's. I AM sedated .
I used to play the song in one of my last bands, except I used to sing "I want to be felated..."

Posted By: texken Re: Receiver - 12/31/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2
They are a pita to fit and build from scratch.

Be prepared to try every part in your box looking for the right ones. You better have a bunch of extra parts, all of which are expensive to buy and require time to locate and accumulate. You need to understand every part interaction intimately and how to troubleshoot things that don't work right. You need tools, time, and money out the ass.

PLUS, a non-matching numbers gun has zero collector value when complete, and is only a shooter. Good luck finding vintage wood, and even when you do you will pay dearly for it and it probably won't fit right. Frankly, It's more trouble than it's worth and the parts are worth far more than the completed rifle. If we were smart we'd part out every junker gun we could get our hands on. I say all that not to discourage anyone from trying, but be prepared, this is not a quick process where you just order all the parts and screw them together. These aren't AR's.

Now, anyone sitting on extra parts you don't want anymore get ahold of me because I love working on these old Savages. LOL

250 takedown with a fitted 410 barrel coming along. Gunna be a great truck gun

dang Roy, you are the savage man, wish I had your talent and TOOLS
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Receiver - 01/01/21
No, Lightfoot is the Savage man, I just like to putter.
© 24hourcampfire