Home
Posted By: JeffG who likes butterscotch? - 01/10/21
About ten years ago my brother-in-law watched a group of does, and only hesitated a bit before deciding which was the oldest-looking one, and decided to take it. He didn't realize it was a piebald until he got up to it. He recently gave me the hooves, charging me "to do them proud", by honoring their unique stature in our deer woods.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/10/21
Nice work! Grew up with that style of rack and still like it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/11/21
Super!
Posted By: hanco Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/11/21
That’s real nice
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/11/21
You certainly did those proud!
Beautiful!
Posted By: 99guy Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/11/21
Nicely done. However, my eyes go directly to the wood

What kind of wood is that? WAG. Was it sawn from an old Hemlock snag?

Admiring the wood in those rifles as well...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/11/21
Cool.

Very nice JeffG. Is that spalted hemlock? I have a few racks similar to that I made when I was a kid. I used Black cherry, red cedar and walnut slabs.
Posted By: JeffG Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/11/21
the wood is spalted maple, one of the first slices off the log. The mineral stain contrast grew less and less as the slices got closer to the center. Adirondack tree, from iron ore country.
Posted By: 99guy Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by JeffG
the wood is spalted maple, one of the first slices off the log. The mineral stain contrast grew less and less as the slices got closer to the center. Adirondack tree, from iron ore country.

Having come from the same country I have seen old growth Hemlock with the same mineral staining. Very common in certain parts of the Adirondacks.
Posted By: jimmy3 Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/11/21
Really nice and definitely unique.....
Posted By: SS336 Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/11/21
That is very nice, like the style a lot.
My father made me a rack with some doe legs I shot for my black powder rifle. Each leg on a separate piece of cherry.
Not as nice as yours. Like the idea of them on a nice single piece of wood.
Posted By: dallased Re: who likes butterscotch? - 01/11/21
Hemlock used to be the state tree in PA until the woolly adelgid, another gift from our, putting it in politically correct terms, eastern asian friends have about wiped them out.
© 24hourcampfire