Home
Posted By: ctw What would you buy? - 01/25/21
A question for collectors?

Wondering what caliber you would buy in a rebarreled 99? Would it be a 7mm-08 or 358 win? Or other older cartridges 32-40 38-55?
Cartridges never offered?

Very curious here please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks Chris
Posted By: deerstalker Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
Maybe a 1-10 twist 250-3000 stock or rebarreled
Maybe a 35 rem in a EG. or maybe a G.
A 32-40, a 32 win spcl would get.my attention. Others i am sure. If i think about it.
Posted By: ctw Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
I overlooked the 32 Winchester
πŸ˜€ bet there is more i overlooked😁
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
A .32-40 would have me thinking.
Posted By: 99guy Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
I've already built mine. 35 Rem EG

But, I have always wanted a 32-40.

The question for me is what platform would I build it on?
Originally Posted by 99guy

A 3030 G? Be just a barrel id bet. Or a ruger #1 with a 30 inch octagon 1 inch on the flats? Or a highwall instead of the ruger. Probably cost the same today.
Posted By: 99guy Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by deerstalker

A 3030 G? Be just a barrel id bet. Or a ruger #1 with a 30 inch octagon 1 inch on the flats? Or a highwall instead of the ruger. Probably cost the same today.

Dude. Got to be a 99/1899 platform. grin
Posted By: Mesa Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
.25-35, preferably a takedown carbine that would fit into my carpetbag.
Posted By: captjohn Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
Chris, you know my vote and your building it LOL 6.5 Creedmoor - Parts are being rounded up!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
Chris, I'd like a 450 Bushmaster, anything on a 284 case starting with a 338, 375, maybe a 6.5.
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Dude. Got to be a 99/1899 platform. grin

😁😁😁😁😁😁G string it is then! Or a T or a F 😊
Posted By: damnesia Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
.38-55 or .32-40 for me.
Posted By: Jaaack Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
If pre-900K receiver, .270 Titus. If post-900K receiver, 7mm-08.
Posted By: JeffG Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
I would get (..already have one from CTW ) a 7-08 barrel, because it fits any post-mil receiver, and it's almost as popular as the 308 here in the NE. But the 7-08 will never replace the 284 here at my house.

I am currently nursing a chronic desire for another 99 barrel band, and I would think making a slew of 250 replacement barrels with the optional cross-cut for the forearm pin..? But alas, the affordable donor rifles seem all but gone, of course 250's have always demanded a premium no matter what model.
Originally Posted by JeffG
I would get (..already have one from CTW ) a 7-08 barrel, because it fits any post-mil receiver, and it's almost as popular as the 308 here in the NE. But the 7-08 will never replace the 284 here at my house.

I am currently nursing a chronic desire for another 99 barrel band, and I would think making a slew of 250 replacement barrels with the optional cross-cut for the forearm pin..? But alas, the affordable donor rifles seem all but gone, of course 250's have always demanded a premium no matter what model.

Speaking of 250 barrel bands, this one has a later factory replacement barrel with a 1-10" twist. Old gun, modern twist. Best of both worlds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: longbarrel Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
I have to respect the late Ken Waters' opinion that the .338 Federal is an improvement on both the .308 and the .358.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
A .224 caliber fast twist 22HP with the base dimension tightened up so you don't get the bulge from undersized brass.

Question...what dimensions are different between a fixed barrel rifle and a take down barreled rifled?
Posted By: JeffG Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Speaking of 250 barrel bands, this one has a later factory replacement barrel with a 1-10" twist. Old gun, modern twist. Best of both worlds.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/YsnoYnH.jpg[/img

..now You're just showing off.. is it for sale?
Posted By: kk alaska Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
Ill say 1-10 twist old quality 99!
Posted By: gregintenn Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
I'd like a "T" with a scaled down action in 223 Winchester, and a barrel band "H" in 35 Remington please.

..now You're just showing off.. is it for sale?

Hey you brought it up. LOL

Nah, I hope to *someday* have time to actually use my guns again.
Posted By: ctw Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
Rick should be no differences in the solid to takedown other than the locking slot. On the later full thread barrels that is. I have notices some takedowns have had the lower feed ramp peened out to contact the barrel? Maybe a fix for factory timing? Maybe a factory trick like the lever bite?

Jeff it has been a long time but I think the 7mm-08 has square threads the only post mill tang safety I have seen with them?

Roy the crazy i do not want to sell the 450 would be pretty high. Are you still planning to have an older barrel rebored for the project?

I was aking with thoughts of rebarreling donor rifles for resale but seems we all are unique. I do hope to buid a rotory mag 7mm-08 to sell and another posibly in 358? Am trying to gauge how easy to sell such a critter.
Posted By: hanco Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
I’m having one made into a 338 Federal, barrel should be on the way, mailing rifle off tomorrow. I’m eager to get that done for next hunting season. I have a 358, not much recoil with 180 Barnes. The Federal should be a ton of fun to shoot.
[quote=ctw]

Roy the crazy i do not want to sell the 450 would be pretty high.

Understood, I see the problem, but I have a solution. I'll take it for the "I really want to unload this POS gun" price. That seems like a really good solution. LOL

Are you still planning to have an older barrel rebored for the project?

Unless a 450 falls in my lap. *see above post.

I was aking with thoughts of rebarreling donor rifles for resale but seems we all are unique. I do hope to buid a rotory mag 7mm-08 to sell and another posibly in 358? Am trying to gauge how easy to sell such a critter.

Oh I figured out why you were asking. wink

You would know what they would need to sell for to make you a profit but it seems like finding good donor wood and actions is the first problem. If you did it as a cottage industry I would source new wood rather than try to find good used wood. But then you have the funkiness factor of aftermarket wood, plus fitting, plus checkering, plus finishing. Buying 300 EG's for donors might be easy but not cheap anymore. Ending up at less than $2K with new barrels, wood and all the work might be hard. On the other hand, if you went ahead and did it right and made high end customs you might find buyers in the $3-4K range for well done 99's. JMO
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
And yet another season of the grand old soap opera "As the Stomach Turns".
Posted By: hanco Re: What would you buy? - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

That’s πŸ˜„ funny
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: What would you buy? - 01/26/21

I want to say something like "If you're so put off, why don't you start a thread and post some photos of one of those pristine guns you hunt with, only one of which has added sling studs"?

Then we could make a comment on your thread.
Posted By: 99guy Re: What would you buy? - 01/26/21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNh3ZWw9MJg
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: What would you buy? - 01/26/21

I want to say something like "If you're so put off, why don't you start a thread and post some photos of one of those pristine guns you hunt with, only one of which has added sling studs"?

Well, let's put it this way. I am really not interested on your opinion.

So we have an accord.

Well played.

Sheet storm averted...

So we have an accord.

See above.

Detente...
Chris asked about building rifles for people that are spending their own money on something they want to buy. Money they've earned and are entitled to spend any way they want. Last I knew that weren't any kind of crime. That's what this thread is about. Don't like it, don't read it. The rest of us that do want to talk about it can do so in peace. Real simple.

*I didn't read about the firing pin thread because I wasn't interested. I thought that's kinda how it worked. Maybe I should go complain about it.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: What would you buy? - 01/26/21
Originally Posted by ctw
A question for collectors?

Wondering what caliber you would buy in a rebarreled 99? Would it be a 7mm-08 or 358 win? Or other older cartridges 32-40 38-55?
Cartridges never offered?

Very curious here please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks Chris

Not a collector here, but the 358 can be had factory, so maybe a 30-40 krah.

Do both a 7-08 and 358. Both will probably sell.
Posted By: docost99 Re: What would you buy? - 01/26/21
35 Rem
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: What would you buy? - 01/26/21

If I couldn't have a .32-40 in something like a 22" 99G, please Santa can I have a .35/.30-30 wildcat? I always said such a beast would be a well nigh perfect woods thumper, brother in arms with the .35 Remington (and a wonderful cast bullet platform). If feeling generous that wildcat barrel would be a nice adjunct to the .32-40 barrel.
Posted By: JeffG Re: What would you buy? - 01/26/21
Originally Posted by ctw
Rick should be no differences in the solid to takedown other than the locking slot. On the later full thread barrels that is. I have notices some takedowns have had the lower feed ramp peened out to contact the barrel? Maybe a fix for factory timing? Maybe a factory trick like the lever bite?

Jeff it has been a long time but I think the 7mm-08 has square threads the only post mill tang safety I have seen with them?

Roy the crazy i do not want to sell the 450 would be pretty high. Are you still planning to have an older barrel rebored for the project?

Might as well add 22-250 to that list of "name-your-selling-price" custom 99s

7-08 ,358, 22-250 boxed set!
Posted By: ctw Re: What would you buy? - 01/26/21
Jeff, the 22-250 would open up many more options for donor rifles and would in theory feed from a 300 or 250.

I wonder how many until the market would become flooded?

A fast twist to open up bullet selection.
Posted By: JeffG Re: What would you buy? - 01/26/21
You'd still need to keep an eye on case pressure for those heavy bullet full-throttle loads. A 99 action is never going to be a prarie-dog bench rifle anyway. There's no flies on a 12-twist 22 cal, goes up to 60 or 65g pills fearlessly (even in a 219Z!!) for poking coyotes and woodchucks.
© 24hourcampfire