Home
Your opinion? Rarest down.

Brings most money?

GW
357 maximum over 20ga. i think that is the hardest one to find.
Originally Posted by Loggah

Yep.

357 mag isn't all that common either, but I would say the 357 Max is rare. Did they even catalog those 2 calibers over the 410? Can't say that I have ever even heard of one...
I dont think so,only over 20 as far as i now.

I have

22mag/20ga
22 Hornet/20ga
357 mag/20 ga

Considering selling two and trying to decide the most practical to keep? Say you? GW
If I could only have one, I'd have a 22 mag. JMO. Others may differ.
I think that the least common version of the Model 24s is the 24VS in 357 MAX over 20 gauge..

Savage 24s chambered in 357 MAX, 357 MAG, 22 Hornet, and 17 HMR seem to be a lot less common than those chambered in 222, 223, 30-30, 22MAG, and 22 LR.
Which one had the extra pistol grip?

357 max or 357 mag?
The rarest caliber, without a doubt, is the .357 MAX.

And the rarest caliber in the rarest model would be the Savage 24VS satin nickel finish, 20 inch barrels, cylinder choke, hardwood furniture and additional pistol grip. Made and catalogued in 1983.

And the .357 MAG or MAX were only offered over 20 gauge, was never made over .410.
In that pic somewhere is a .357 Mag over 20 and a .357 Max over 20.

The .357 Mag is a 1979 near as I can figure, last year of the scalloped receiver. I never tried to date the .357 Max, was just happy to have found one.

I have the 24V's in every caliber except the .22 Hornet, could never find one. So maybe that is the rarest one? I dunno, but I still think the .357 Max is the rarest.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
I have long wondered why Savage didn't carry over the monte carlo style stock from the 24Vs wood to the plastic stocks on the 24Fs.
Tripped over a 357 Max over 20 last year, practically stole it but I don't feel bad.

Worst part is trying to find shells for it, been shooting 357 mag out of it but only about 5 shells. Found a box of 18 Maximum shells now so I'm good, you can use 357 Mag dies to reload maximum.
Originally Posted by wink_man
In that pic somewhere is a .357 Mag over 20 and a .357 Max over 20.

The .357 Mag is a 1979 near as I can figure, last year of the scalloped receiver. I never tried to date the .357 Max, was just happy to have found one.

I have the 24V's in every caliber except the .22 Hornet, could never find one. So maybe that is the rarest one? I dunno, but I still think the .357 Max is the rarest.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

WOW!!!!
Originally Posted by Loggah

I've got 300+ new Remington 357 Max brass in the classifieds because I have concluded I don't need to keep looking for the rifle.
Probably far from a rare chambering, my 24H-DL .22 mag/20 gauge has the silver colored receiver, trigger guard and gold trigger like the third one from the left of Wink_man's picture. I haven't paid attention to the Savage 24 used market, but I'm remembering that most of the 24's that I've seen have the blued receiver. Seeing only that one silver one like mine in Wink_man's post has me wondering if mine is a little out of the ordinary? Thanks.
Originally Posted by Windfall
Probably far from a rare chambering, my 24H-DL .22 mag/20 gauge has the silver colored receiver, trigger guard and gold trigger like the third one from the left of Wink_man's picture. I haven't paid attention to the Savage 24 used market, but I'm remembering that most of the 24's that I've seen have the blued receiver. Seeing only that one silver one like mine in Wink_man's post has me wondering if mine is a little out of the ordinary? Thanks.

May not be a rare chambering, but the "DL"'s with the brazed barrels are highly desired, especially with the silver receivers. Extremely accurate also because brazing the rifle barrel full length to the shotgun barrel makes it very stiff.

I have 2 in there, one with a replacement trigger guard, both 1967 J DL's. 67 was the last year of the silver receiver, in 68 the J DL's went to the standard black receiver.

H DL's preceded the J DL's and I assume yours has the selector switch on the receiver not on the barrel? If so, it would make it 63 or earlier, I believe in 64 they went to the selector in the hammer.

Value wise the gun is worth a good chunk of change they are highly desirable as I stated earlier. I couldn't give you a value cause I haven't been following the prices lately, but last I knew(and that was a while ago, worth $500 without batting an eye) and if you do decide to sell, check Gunbrokers "completed sales" to get an idea what it is worth.
Thank you for checking back in on my question. Probably a '64 then because the selector on mine is on the hammer. I traded a buddy a rusted single snowmobile trailer for it back in the '70's. It came with a #24 Williams receiver sight on it which about doubles the sighting radius and sits low enough to still use the factory front sight. Thinking that a .22 WMR/3" 20 gauge wouldn't be enough for a coyote, I thought that I might like a 24V in a Hornet or .223/12 gauge until I lifted one at a gun show. Some heavier than the rimfire 24's. Slugs and the .22 WMR rounds hit within a couple inches of one another at 50 yards, so I like that 24H-DL for a possible do all rambling around rifle. I do wonder why Savage quit making them?
Originally Posted by Windfall
Thank you for checking back in on my question. Probably a '64 then because the selector on mine is on the hammer. I traded a buddy a rusted single snowmobile trailer for it back in the '70's. It came with a #24 Williams receiver sight on it which about doubles the sighting radius and sits low enough to still use the factory front sight. Thinking that a .22 WMR/3" 20 gauge wouldn't be enough for a coyote, I thought that I might like a 24V in a Hornet or .223/12 gauge until I lifted one at a gun show. Some heavier than the rimfire 24's. Slugs and the .22 WMR rounds hit within a couple inches of one another at 50 yards, so I like that 24H-DL for a possible do all rambling around rifle. I do wonder why Savage quit making them?

I find the 24V's to be liveable weight wise but they are all in 20 gauge, the 24F's in 12 gauge make the weight unbearable to me. I have one of the very few 24V's in 12 gauge, a transition gun the year before the 24F's came out, crossbolt safety, scroll work identical to the 24F on the receiver and hardwood furniture. It is unfired and will remain so as it is to damn heavy to carry around.

If ammunition ever becomes available again, you might want to give Federals 50 grain jacketed hollow points a try in that 22 Mag, it hits pretty hard and stabilizes fine in the 1 in 14 twist 22 Mag barrel on the Savage 24.
I have 5 Savage 24's, all with the deluxe Monte Carlo stocks. One is a 22lr/410. one is a 22lr/20ga, TWO are the more sought after 357Mag/20ga, but my pride and joy is my 24VS 357Maxomum/20gauge. I found it by accident a few years ago, and I'm currently discussing it with insurance as they need some sort of value. Not going to use what little I paid for it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. All are locked in a safe and not displayed, a very sad sign of the times we now live in.
Originally Posted by diamondjim

357 max or 357 mag?

357 max
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

357 max or 357 mag?
357 max
And the 24CS in 22/20ga.
Originally Posted by wink_man
[quote=Windfall]Thank you for checking back in on my question. Probably a '64 then because the selector on mine is on the hammer. I traded a buddy a rusted single snowmobile trailer for it back in the '70's. It came with a #24 Williams receiver sight on it which about doubles the sighting radius and sits low enough to still use the factory front sight. Thinking that a .22 WMR/3" 20 gauge wouldn't be enough for a coyote, I thought that I might like a 24V in a Hornet or .223/12 gauge until I lifted one at a gun show. Some heavier than the rimfire 24's. Slugs and the .22 WMR rounds hit within a couple inches of one another at 50 yards, so I like that 24H-DL for a possible do all rambling around rifle. I do wonder why Savage quit making them?

I find the 24V's to be liveable weight wise but they are all in 20 gauge, the 24F's in 12 gauge make the weight unbearable to me. I have one of the very few 24V's in 12 gauge, a transition gun the year before the 24F's came out, crossbolt safety, scroll work identical to the 24F on the receiver and hardwood furniture. It is unfired and will remain so as it is to damn heavy to carry around.

I bought a silver receiver 24 J new in 1965, was the first new gun that I ever owned. No sure they were available in 19 64. GW

Just curious how many out their in 22 Hornet? I Have one wo else? GW
been looking for the hornet for many years have missed two ( late on both ) would give ( no telling ) , have had all the others except the 357mag
Always wondered why my DL silver .22WRM/.410 is so much more accurate than earlier 24s I've had .. . even shoots .410 slugs into actual groups!
Tripped over a 357 Max a couple years ago. At first I was shooting 357 mag out of it cause the max is hard to find but have since found two boxes of factory Remington, great gun, put a Holosun red dot on it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I recently picked up 24VS 20ga/357 max
having the receiver refinished nickel to match the barrel
now on the hunt for the pistol grip
will post pictures when i get it back from Fords custom guns

357 max or 357 mag?

.357 Max.
I looked for some time before i found 357 MAX ammo and

was was quite shocked with the price
When I heard Savage was going to discontinue the model 24 I figured I’d place an order for a new one. Over the years I’ve had two others that were pickup utility guns so they were just tools and not collectible. One was the popular,22/410 the other 22mag/30-30. I decided to order 22 Hornet over 20 ga. Placed the order was told about three months. Then my gun shop got a notice that they weren’t chambering the Hornet any more. I was not happy and after three calls to Savage somebody told me they’d see what they could do. Four weeks later I got the rifle with of course a plastic stock and heavy. Put a dot scope on it and the Hornet shoots

Rick
Did savage ever chamber the 24 in 28 gauge? A 22 hornet over 28 gauge would be my dream Combo gun.
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

I have a 22H/20ga #D830xxx what ever year that would be, with an El Paso K 2.5 on it.
Originally Posted by 450yukon
I have a 22H/20ga #D830xxx what ever year that would be, with an El Paso K 2.5 on it.
Fall, 1981.
When my granddad died in Nov 1968, I inherited his Savage 24, in 22 LR and 410 on the bottom.
Its old enough it has no serial number.

My grandfathers favorite two meals were squirrel or rabbit. He had many a meal of them in his life, courtesy of his Savage 24. The 22 barrel on top, has NO rifling for the first 6 inches or so in the barrel. One has to wonder how many 22 bullets, need to be shot thru a single shot, to wear out 6 inches of the rifling in the rifle?

Funny, I ended up with it, because most of my cousins didn't want it. They didn't want it, because our grandpa had other guns with more features. They wanted the feature filled firearms. I wanted the two rifles that was our granddad's favorite two... the 24 Savage and a very early Marlin 30/30. Didn't matter what they were. These were the two that had the most wear and tear on them.. but by far had killed the most game. He was from the days, when most of rural America eat more wild game than they did store bought meat. He was born in 1907 in Wytheville VA. Much of his life, where he lived, if hunting license were required, most people never bought them, and they took wild game pretty much year round. Besides most game animals, the other major source of meat was from slaughtering of hogs off the farm.

The Marlin was stolen out of my truck back in Minnesota, but I still have the 22/410 Savage 24.
"The 22 barrel on top, has NO rifling for the first 6 inches or so in the barrel."

Might be full of lead vs gone.
One of you Savage collectors help me out here: What is the "extra pistol grip" I see referenced in some of the posts on this thread?

I don't have a Savage 24, didn't realize there were so many variations out there. The first couple I had anything to do with as a kid were .22/.410's, one a friend's and one my grandmother's. My grandmother's had a Tenite stock, wood forend. She always kept it by the back door and at night, if she thought she heard "prowlers" outside, would let fly with a couple of loads of .410 out across the horse pasture. My brothers, my cousins and I worshipped that woman.
Originally Posted by cra1948
One of you Savage collectors help me out here: What is the "extra pistol grip" I see referenced in some of the posts on this thread?

A certain variation of the .357 Max came with a pistol grip to replace the buttstock. We had one come thru the shop about 10 years ago.

[Linked Image from gunsamerica.com]
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Did savage ever chamber the 24 in 28 gauge? A 22 hornet over 28 gauge would be my dream Combo gun.

No, the only shotgun gauges that the Savage 24s were chambered in were .410, 20, and 12.

Rifle barrels were chambered in 17 HMR, 22LR, 22MAG, 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 30-30, 357 MAG, and 357 MAX.

I still have them in 22MAG/410, 22LR/20, 22MAG/20, 222/20(x2), and 223/20.

The 22MAG/410 is one of my favorite woods loafing firearms, it shoots Brenneke slugs with surprising accuracy. I wouldn't shoot medium game with them, but coyotes and other animals of like sizes would be fair game.

I have seen a 24V in 222 rechambered to 225 WIN, but that looked like a potentially dangerous conversion to me. Bearrr264 talked about rechambering a 357 MAG to 356 WIN, a conversion that looked extremely dangerous to me.

There used to be a really good review of the Savsge 24s on the Tech Notes section of the Beartooth Bullets site written by a guy named Marshall Stanton. He claimed to favor the 30-30AI.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Originally Posted by cra1948

A certain variation of the .357 Max came with a pistol grip to replace the buttstock. We had one come thru the shop about 10 years ago.

[Linked Image from gunsamerica.com]

Will the pistol grip fit other models or only the one pictured?

Does it require a tax stamp?
I forgot I still have an old 22/410 in a sock in the corner of my gun room. I was thinking I only had my new version 22Hornet/ 20 gauge with the butt ugly plastic stock but today I found the other. Pretty scary when you can’t recall your rifles and handguns. Anyway this older 22/410 is one with a breakdown lever on the right side of the receiver panel similar to a Rem Hepburn rifle. Anybody know when these were made or anything about them. Typical creepy heavy light heavy trigger. As I recall reworking model 24 trigger assemblies is no cake walk

Rick
Originally Posted by Seafire
When my granddad died in Nov 1968, I inherited his Savage 24, in 22 LR and 410 on the bottom.
Its old enough it has no serial number.

My grandfathers favorite two meals were squirrel or rabbit. He had many a meal of them in his life, courtesy of his Savage 24. The 22 barrel on top, has NO rifling for the first 6 inches or so in the barrel. One has to wonder how many 22 bullets, need to be shot thru a single shot, to wear out 6 inches of the rifling in the rifle?

Funny, I ended up with it, because most of my cousins didn't want it. They didn't want it, because our grandpa had other guns with more features. They wanted the feature filled firearms. I wanted the two rifles that was our granddad's favorite two... the 24 Savage and a very early Marlin 30/30. Didn't matter what they were. These were the two that had the most wear and tear on them.. but by far had killed the most game. He was from the days, when most of rural America eat more wild game than they did store bought meat. He was born in 1907 in Wytheville VA. Much of his life, where he lived, if hunting license were required, most people never bought them, and they took wild game pretty much year round. Besides most game animals, the other major source of meat was from slaughtering of hogs off the farm.

The Marlin was stolen out of my truck back in Minnesota, but I still have the 22/410 Savage 24.

SeaFire

Your grandfather's life description sounds identical to my fathers. He was born in Nov 1897 Conway, moand passed Jan 1979. His parents bought him a Hamilton 22 rifle for $1.00 in in about 1907. He rode the Frisco train to Lebanon, Mo to the county seat where he purchased his first hunting license Nov 1917, which I still have. He hunted small game and killed hogs with that rifle until the barrel was shot out. Married in 1920 and raised eleven children. Likely the barrel was shot out while trying to feed eleven children. grin Only 22 cal he every owned. I restored it for him for father's day one year and it was later passed to someone other than me. They family hunted an fished year round . They didn't know what store bought meat was, other than bacon and salt side. Different times for tough suvivors. GW
I have 2. One was my uncle's, killed my first rabbit with it-early 70's I guess. He had put the red dot of the day on it. Weaver Qwik Point. It is stamped "Series M", the Blue Book of Gun Values doesn't list that particular model. .22LR/.410

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The other one I picked up while in high school. I was working in a gas station, bought it from a guy who needed travel money. .22Mag/.410. Just replaced the firing pin. Numrich came through for me. It has no serial number so must fall into the pre-1968 time frame. Killed a few grouse with it in college.

LHS
About 25 years ago I lucked into a guy carrying a pristine 357 mag / over 20 ga at a local gun show. Asked him what he wanted and he said $150 bucks. Carried it black to the Ranch, shot it once, and it mostly set in a corner of the safe unused. Got it out about 5 years later to carry to another gun show for trading stock. Dad saw it it and thought it was the greatest “truck gun” ever. 🤪

Gave it to him and he carried it in his truck till the day he died. There was still half a box of old Federal 20 ga shells in the truck, and a box of 357 mag WW Silvertips with about 3 shells missing when I cleaned out the truck, about 5 years ago. 🤠
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

I have a 24F in 22 Hornet over 20 ga.
Posted By: RAM Re: Savage model 24's Rarest cals. - 10/11/23
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

357 max or 357 mag?

357 max
Heard mixed opinions on that. I just got the Max labeled dies.
Posted By: BMT Re: Savage model 24's Rarest cals. - 12/29/23
Saw a .357 Max/20 today at Stocker John's (a custom stock maker here in town).

The owner is have a new stock made (original is cracked) and a pistol grip made.

The stock maker is old school. Learned the trade at Kimber of Oregon.

I was drooling over the model 24.

BMT
Without being able to regulate the barrels, accuracy in the centerfires is mostly luck of the draw.

The Savage 24 is a good idea, but to hit their price point they were never quite as good in their execution. That said, I have a 22M/410 that is a fun woods loafing gun and with Brenneke 3" slugs a bare minimum for shooting deer at very close ranges.
I had one with a 22 mag on top and it was ridiculously accurate for a cheap gun with a cheap 22 scope and a horrible trigger.

Lost that gun when my work truck was stolen.
Posted By: RAS Re: Savage model 24's Rarest cals. - 12/31/23
I have a 22 Mag over 410. My favorite small game gun.

Had a 357 over 20.
© 24hourcampfire