Home
Posted By: Blitz I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
Stop me if ya heard this one. A guy walks into his favorite gun store that he hasn't been to in a while and finds 3 99's on the rack, good to very good condition. 2 are EG's, 1 is an R, all 300 SAV.

I then looked at the prices on the tags. $450, $525 and $550. I had to take a DEEP breath.

Long story short, the $450 EG caught my eye. Had what looks like an after market sling on it and a Williams Peep. I posted pictures in the image gallery of the gun.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15834851#Post15834851

Should I go back and buy ALL THREE?!?!?

Like I said, I need help.... bad...

Blitz
Posted By: damnesia Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
From the pics they're in decent shape, at least for hunting rifles or shooters. Prices seem reasonable.
Posted By: bulkie_roll Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
Blitz ,

You need to stay out of Jolly Rodgers . They have 12 step programs for guys like you (us) .
Posted By: Blitz Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
Bulkie, You from Western CT? And how did you know it was the Jolly Roger?

You're scarin' me man....
I live in Maine and CT .

I’m in upper Litchfield county ~ 4 times a year doing CT agritourism ( wine , beer and lets not forget bourbon ) and gun shops . Jolly Rogers , Autumn Gunworks , Housatonic Valley Arms (when they were open) are/were among my favorites .
Posted By: JeffG Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
Those sound like wholesale prices right about now, it should be easy to turn them around for a bit of quick gain...but who wants to think about 99s as a trade commodity? If You want 'em; buy 'em! keep 'em! shoot 'em!
Last time we were in Litchfield County was September 26 2020 when my 85 year old father-in-law was here from Idaho .

I almost bought that R in .300 .

I thought that was the one for $450 ?
Could flip them in the Classifieds if you wanted to move them along!

Those of us that live in places where nobody used 99's would love to have access.

Mike
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
I haven't heard that one before, I've been sitting here waiting for the punch line?
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
I don't think I've seen that model aperture sight before. If you buy the rifle, looking forward to good pics of the sight.

Does not look like a Williams FP99 or FP99S. Did Williams make another one for the 99?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
"I need serious help..."

Says the drinker to his alcoholic buddies.... LOL
I like the one in the middle
So, for all 3 it would be about $1622 out the door. The one with the Williams sight does have "Williams" in white lettering on it, it is marked 450. Sorry for the crappy pic of that. The one in the middle is another EG, slightly earlier S/N (36xxxx) 525, and the R is the last on the right, 550. All look pretty much original.

I figured I would consult with my therapy group before making a "RASH" (cough, cough) decision...

And I went there looking for ammo and found 99's....

All three were there last September .
Might not be there much longer... My C&R has been burning a hole in my glove box...
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Those of us that live in places where nobody used 99's would love to have access.

Rarely see 99’s in north Texas. I can’t fathom seeing three in one shop.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
You shouldn't have had to ask. At those prices they should all be going home with you.😎👍
I figured I'd seek the wise advice of my fellow 99 junkies buddies before doing anything rash...

You have no idea how hard it was to WALK OUT OF THERE!

Might be going back tomorrow....
Step 1. We admitted we were powerless over our addiction – that our lives had become unmanageable.

Having said that, I did pick up a model 111 in .270 yesterday from an estate. Just too good to pass up.
Posted By: 99guy Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
I'm sure you could get your money back if you needed to.
Did a search for 300 SAV dies and NOBODY has any, not Midway, Natchez, the owner did say he had 2 boxes of 180 grainers, but they were expensive...

Whatever that means...
Originally Posted by Blitz
I figured I'd seek the wise advice of my fellow 99 junkies buddies before doing anything rash...

You have no idea how hard it was to WALK OUT OF THERE

LOL 😆
Blitz , that model R almost came home with me in September .

My wife asked me if I had any of those already , I told her no wink
Blitz ,

I have a couple sets of 300 savage dies . Let me check to see if my son or nephew took them , but if I still have them I'll send you a set for nothing .
I looked at the R once before. Didn't have the resources for it. I have the resources for all 3, but not sure I need 2 EG's and an R in 300.

Decisions, decisions...
Posted By: damnesia Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/25/21
Now that the cats out of the bag, they may not be there when you return.
Story of my life, day late or a dollar short.
Posted By: damnesia Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
Haha, we seem to share the same life story. To be clear, I'm not going to call and try to buy them. I just bought a small local collection that sucked up all my gun money this month.

I played guitar for about 20 years and stopped playing years ago. I kept my collection of old guitars, mainly fender and a few gibsons, and have been considering trying to trade some of them for rifles or just try to sell some of them and buy rifles. Maybe cut down on the dollar short scenario laugh
Posted By: saddlering Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
I'd at least buy the best EG and the R!
Posted By: bulkie_roll Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
All three examples are solid shooters/hunters for someone who wants/needs a classy 300 savage .

Blitz , I've got a spare set of Lee 300 Savage dies (3) , They are yours for the taking if you want them .
Originally Posted by damnesia
Haha, we seem to share the same life story. To be clear, I'm not going to call and try to buy them.

I played guitar for about 20 years and stopped playing years ago. I kept my collection of old guitars, mainly fender and a few gibsons, and have been considering trying to trade some of them for rifles or just try to sell some of them and buy rifles. Maybe cut down on the dollar short scenario laugh

I personally wouldn't care if you did call them and purchase them . I had the opportunity 7 months ago .

As far as collectible vices : pick your poison . I know guys that their problem is Corvettes/ mustangs .

Obviously blitz has first dibs on these rifles .
Did a search for 300 SAV dies and NOBODY has any, not Midway, Natchez, the owner did say he had 2 boxes of 180 grainers, but they were expensive...

Whatever that means...

It means that there were probably pretty expensive . I used to carry factory Remington 180's in Maine if I didn't have the time to make my own .

Last time I was in your neighborhood it was purposely driven for bullets , powder , and primers . Likewise at Autumn Gun Works .
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
Blitz- I have dies too, and a [bleep] of .300 reloads I would be happy to send your way. I'm out of the .300 game as far as I'm concerned. Let me know via PM what you need.
Posted By: Blitz Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
As usual, you guys are the best. I’ll let you know tomorrow what I decide.

I’m going to go back and give them a good once over.

An EG and an R?

Heaven forbid!

Blitz
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
As usual, you guys are the best. I’ll let you know tomorrow what I decide.

I’m going to go back and give them a good once over.

An EG and an R?

Heaven forbid!

Blitz

Hopefully they don't gang up on you and you end up in the E-R!
Posted By: S99VG Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by bulkie_roll
Last time we were in Litchfield County was September 26 2020 when my 85 year old father-in-law was here from Idaho .

I almost bought that R in .300 .

I thought that was the one for $450 ?

Sounda like he's has one for at least five months. Go back and offer 350.
Posted By: Loggah Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
confusedIm suprised that early EG has a checkered stock and forearm ?? I would buy all 3! smile Then you can shoot them find out which shoots best, and then if you want sell the rest. I guarantee you will not loose any money on the deal. The way guns are selling right now im amazed there still there,i guess that shop owner dont sell on the internet.
The EG’s are about 30000 apart, 39xxxx and 36xxxx. The R is in the 6xxxxx range. Both EG’s are checkered, looks factory. The 36xxxx is the nicer of the 2, not grey like the one in the first pic.

Decisions....

Didn’t realize how much I learned from here until yesterday. Looking at them made me aware of the sheer knowledge available in this forum.

Made me smile and my wallet frown..,
Posted By: diamondjim Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
Didn’t realize how much I learned from here until yesterday. Looking at them made me aware of the sheer knowledge available in this forum.

It's a great feeling, isn't it.........
wink grin
Posted By: Calhoun Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
36x,xxx shouldn't be factory checkered. That's too early of a serial number on an EG. I'd check for incorrect wood on that, though at that price does anybody really care?

393,xxx is high enough to be factory checkered.
Just reading David’s book and I concur with Calhoun. The 36xxxx is to early for checkering. Maybe I misread it.

Was checkering an option for the EG prior to 1940?

Thinking about making an offer for all three, maybe get a deal.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21

Strike while the iron is hot!! wink
That early one could be a checkered, pistol gripped,"E" model? the store owner wouldn't know that from a "EG" !!!
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
Just reading David’s book and I concur with Calhoun. The 36xxxx is to early for checkering. Maybe I misread it.

Looks like it might be 393xxx; EG checkering seems be stanard starting in the 38x,xxx range, but a few seen earlier than that.. Spiegels were being checkered as early as about 36x;xxx to end of Spiegel production, so I could see where some checkered stock/forearm EGs could have made their way in earlier.
Would need to pull the firearm to confirm, doubt he’ll let me do that. A pistol grip on an E? Thought they were all straight stocks?

Checkering WAS an option before 1939 (when EG's started being checkered), but you practically never see it. It's worth checking the numbers on the wood, but I'm not sure you would have gotten that EG style checkering - it didn't exist yet. I think for $5 checkering you'd have gotten the wraparound G style checkering. But.. check the numbers, look at the checkering. Never say never, might have left the factory late.

99G checkering from 1936:
[Linked Image from savagefest.net]
Would need to pull the firearm to confirm, doubt he’ll let me do that. A pistol grip on an E? Thought they were all straight stocks?

Let us know when you get it home laugh

Mike
Originally Posted by Loggah
That early one could be a checkered, pistol gripped,"E" model? the store owner wouldn't know that from a "EG" !!!

True, but the E's were "officially" discontinued in 1934. So this would be a special order solid frame F with pistol grip and checkering. Or a late E. grin
Lot easier to figure out when you have them home !!!!!!! grin
You can actually see the writing on the tag for the second EG in the first picture. My eyes played tricks on me, it is 544182, so a later EG. Should have a date code on it too.

Clears that up.

I'm thinking that's a good idea . They have been homeless for awhile .
The R was there last fall when I was in. I don't recall seeing the 2 EG's, may have been there. Total price on the tags is 1525. Maybe start at 1350 and go from there, or just plain ask him what he'll take for all 3.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
I think I would let him make the first offer, might even be lower than where you were thinking, since they have been there a while. Good luck!!!
Posted By: kdog Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
Easily get your money back on them ...Buy em ...Then sell want you dont want
Originally Posted by Loggah
i guess that shop owner dont sell on the internet.

Nope , old school .

Place smells of bore solvent and cigarette/pipe/cigar smoke .

Old fashioned cash register .

Receipt for all purchases are hand written pad type with the carbon copy in-between .

The building is an old converted garage . The house is in the front of the shop .

Love the place .
I must be odd man out. I don't want three shooter grade 300's just for the sake of it. I'd look for one shooter grade that I truly wanted to hunt with and take the other $1K and look for a better collector grade gun for the safe.
Just got back from the gun shop. I spent time looking each gun over completely. Here are the results:

1. Early EG- very little bluing on the receiver, barrel shows wear as well, a few nicks in the metal, the stock and forearm also have multiple dings and scrapes as well. - Price is appropriate at 450, maybe a tad high.

2. Later EG - Date code 20E, 1953. Bluing thin on receiver, and barrel, wood has wear marks and scrapes and - A CUT OFF STOCK WITH A PACHMYR on it. Price is high at 525.

3. R - No date code S/N puts it later than 53. Similar bluing thinning, wear marks and scrapes on wood. Price is 550, a tad high?

All common guns in a common caliber with visible wear. No leeway on price.

I walked out with out them. Just didn't move me.

I agree with Fireball. Gotta be something to make me jump and sing, being a musician and all.

Besides, can't have more guns than guitars... just ain't right...

Wait... I have 3 times as many fishing poles as guitars.... need more guitars....

Blitz
Posted By: S99VG Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
The EG’s are about 30000 apart, 39xxxx and 36xxxx. The R is in the 6xxxxx range. Both EG’s are checkered, looks factory. The 36xxxx is the nicer of the 2, not grey like the one in the first pic.

Decisions....

With the exceptions of stocks, EGs and Rs are the same gun.
Posted By: damnesia Re: I need SERIOUS help... - 02/26/21
Myself I'd probably buy one of them as a shooter. Out of all the 99s I have only one is a 300, and it's in very good condition.
If they had some more condition, I would have bought one. Already own 3 rifles with 30 cal ballistics, a WIN 94 30-30, Swedish Mauser 6.5 x 55 and an SKS 7.62 x 39.

If he was willing to move on price would've considered also. Got shooters, would be nice to have a "looker".
I don't think the 99R is off on price, it's priced as a hunter. By today's standards, the EG with a pad isn't priced too high probably.

But if you don't want them, you shouldn't get them. Can't own them all, if they don't grab you then save your money for something that will. I'd have probably grabbed the R for future trade fodder myself, but skipped on the others.
If they had some more condition, I would have bought one. Already own 3 rifles with 30 cal ballistics, a WIN 94 30-30, Swedish Mauser 6.5 x 55 and an SKS 7.62 x 39.

If he was willing to move on price would've considered also. Got shooters, would be nice to have a "looker".

Now you're thinkin'. Buy pretty ones.
Send one of them off to JES to re-bore to .358 WCF
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Now you're thinkin'. Buy pretty ones.

Tried that with women. Required lots of fancy substances, constant buffing and rubbing, tinkering with their innards....

Jeez....

But they sure turned heads...
Originally Posted by bulkie_roll
Send one of them off to JES to re-bore to .358 WCF

Wouldn't work. Need 99's that are serial numbered at 900,000 or higher to handle the 243/308/358 length cartridges in the magazine. These were all pre-900,000.
Oh yeah , I forgot about that little tid-bit . blush
© 24hourcampfire