Home
my imagination or not, was it done?

[Linked Image]
Is that a pre-90.000 serial number receiver? If not, why does it have a flat back bolt lock up?

Bubba special?
looks like it to me! but the # is 199xxx a take down, sure looks weird to me, but i think i am going blind looking at 47 blurry pictures of one gun on GB crazy
Picture might just be misleading with the receiver at just the right angle. Weird though.
Because we know from historic evidence that there were no purple sheets or color photography during that time period, one can quickly deduce this picture is a fraud. That is what is wrong in this picture of 1899. 😂
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac007
Because we know from historic evidence that there were no purple sheets or color photography during that time period, one can quickly deduce this picture is a fraud. That is what is wrong in this picture of 1899. 😂

ok
Looks like phosphate finish/parkerized.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Picture might just be misleading with the receiver at just the right angle. Weird though.
I think your right that it's the picture angle. There is a round cocking indicator in the receiver and I think there is enough of the bolt in the picture to show there isn't one in the bolt. The rear corners of the bolt look like they are slightly curved.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This picture shows one that is unusual, there isn't a cocking indicator in the bolt or in the receiver, but it is not original???
[Linked Image]
Also notice how sharp the corners of the bolt are.

Edited after a couple replies, added two more thumb nails that are posted in a later reply to answer later questions.

Attached picture IMG_9528x.jpg
Attached picture IMG_9529x.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0068y.jpg
Attached picture IMG_9530x.jpg
Attached picture IMG_9537x.JPG
I think there is a pop-up indicator on that third one, Gene. It's right at the center of the engraved whorl. Absolutely beautiful job of blending it in.
Rory, i think your right indicator centered in the whorl, My brother has a square bolt gun with no cocking indicator in the bolt. Don
Originally Posted by Loggah
Rory, i think your right indicator centered in the whorl, My brother has a square bolt gun with no cocking indicator in the bolt. Don

Interesting.. wonder if there's a work order against that one?
Is there supposed to be something wrong? More pictures of the gun would be a great help in sizing the 99 up.
Rory, there is no indicator, the whorl just happens to be about the right spot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wondered if it is a later replacement bolt and when done Savage machined it from a newer bolt body that did not have a cocking indicator.
You're right.. no indicator. Photos are tricky. And yeah, a later bolt being fitted is what I was thinking of with Loggah's brother's rifle as well. We know they wouldn't work on them later, but I'm sure there were a few years after 1909 where they would. And for an engraved rifle, they might have made an exception for a bit longer.
I think the engraving on this one was done many years after the gun was made, it has been completely reworked including some major stock work. Possibly a gunsmith modified a later bolt for it.
Originally Posted by S99VG
Is there supposed to be something wrong? More pictures of the gun would be a great help in sizing the 99 up.

current gb sale. just thought it looked wonky. have to admit it may have been my eyes. i looked at about 500 blurry GB pictures last night. why people post pics you cant even make out what the object is beats me.

now i will do just that! grin
they are trying to hide something.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Originally Posted by S99VG

current gb sale. just thought it looked wonky. have to admit it may have been my eyes. i looked at about 500 blurry GB pictures last night. why people post pics you cant even make out what the object is beats me.

now i will do just that! grin

Is there a Gun Broker’s Anonymous I can sign up for?
Welllllll.... smile I really have no idea what's going on here! But I have my 1899 file pix and I want to play too! So, below my SN 76K Savage. Born in 1908; proud era of a truly great American president, TR! In thuty-thuty, Sur! I can spell it so, but never get the drawl right.
As far as wrong with that photo... My guess, no bikini babe holding it! But the upside, after I scroll away, I can remember what the gun was! Just now, some other nice & interesting guns coming along the way. I'll be interested in how it all turns out... And awaiting!
smile smile smile
Belated happy daylight savings from PDT!
Best!
John

Attached picture R362-33U.jpg
Attached picture R362-2U.jpg
Attached picture R362-3U - Copy.jpg
Looks good! FYI, the serial number puts it as summer of 1907 rather than 1908.
That’s a best. Is it a 303?
Thanks Calhoun! I'll amend my records. Possibly got the 1908 date from Ron Murray's book? S99VG, if you're referring to my 1899A above, it's in 30-30 & thanks for the compliment. It is nice for such a old gal! smile

Only thing I've not been able to figure out is lack of cocking indicator???

Best!
John
© 24hourcampfire