Home
Posted By: gregintenn Baily Brower collection - 03/22/21
Mr. Supica is about to sell this collection here:
https://www.gunheritage.com/
shocked
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/22/21
This should be interesting!! Perfect timing it would seem.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/22/21
There are a few I'd love to have, but expect they are out of my league. I hope some of you guys might get a chance at some of them. I think he'd like to sell it all as one lot, but I don't have the nards to ask for a price or make an offer.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/22/21
I'd heard it was for sale. Saw a bunch at the NRA museum in Springfield at Bass Pro a couple years ago. Just.. wow...
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/22/21
That book is well worth buying a copy, but I expect you all already have one.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/22/21
I wonder if the 1895 and the two 1899's that are on pages 4 to 7 will be auctioned off also.
Greg, thanks for posting about this! Yes, I'm currently looking to see if there's a buyer for the entire Bailey Brower Jr. collection (or a large portion of it), but I do know that we're unlikely to find the Right Guy for that. Assuming we don't find that person, I'll start piecing out the collection beginning in May. I plan to list the individual pieces on my http://GunHeritage.com website before offering them elsewhere. If you'd like to receive an email notifying you when new listings are posted, just email me at [email protected] and let me know you want on the email list. I won't flood your mailbox - one post a week at the most, I won't sell your email, and when you want off the list just let me know.

It is, of course a spectacular collection. I'm pretty sure it's the finest Savage pistol collection in the world with a stunning range of subtle variations, engraved pistols, rare US trials 45s, ultra-rare .25acp's, foreign military (Portuguese, French, Canadian), historically attributed pieces, factory prototypes. Many of the guns in the collection are used for illustrations in Bailey's definitive book Savage Pistols. There are also Savage long guns - 95s, 99s, and a wide selection of early .22s.

The collection isn't limited to Savages. Bailey has a really neat assortment of competing pocket pistols from the early 20th century and later, a Winchester prototype pistol, S&W autopistols, Whitneys, and unusual and oddball stuff (Martz .45 Lugers for example).

I'll be previewing a few select pieces at Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show in April, so if you're there, stop by and say hi. I'll also have copies of Bailey's Savage Pistols book available.

PS - I'm new to this forum, so if I'm off base by posting about this here, please accept my apologies and either remove the post or let me know to remove it. If it's permitted, I'll start a thread of photos of interesting Savages from the collection here, not necessarily as an offer to sell, but just coz they're cool.

Thanks! - Jim

[img]https://scontent.fmkc1-1.fna.fbcdn....df6c76d747315efca8e570ca&oe=607EFF66[/img]

Originally Posted by wyo1895
I wonder if the 1895 and the two 1899's that are on pages 4 to 7 will be auctioned off also.

Yes for the engraved one on page 7. Also the cased rifle/pistol/knife set pictured on page 243. Also several other 99s & 95s. Email me if you want a notice when they're offered. [email protected]

Thanks - Jim Supica
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/24/21
I'll email you.
where is that next stimulus check????? add to my tax return and might get the least of those shown.naw!
Posted By: norm99 Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/25/21
Originally Posted by SupicaConsultingLLC

Yes for the engraved one on page 7. Also the cased rifle/pistol/knife set pictured on page 243. Also several other 99s & 95s. Email me if you want a notice when they're offered. [email protected]

Thanks - Jim Supica

you are not off base in posting on this forum ,but most appreciated for doing so, as probaly the best Savage site there is i believe that we will all appreciate your posts and offers.

norm
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/25/21
Welcome to the group Jim! I always enjoyed talking to Baily at the KC shows. I learned a lot from listening to Dave Koch and him talk about Savage pistols.
Posted By: kiwi Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/29/21
All I Can Say Is WOW
Dam I don't live in the US
Couldn't afford them anyway
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/29/21
We'll all kick in and buy you a ticket, love to see you up here. I'll get things going, here's the first dollar I ever made. Said I'd never spend it, but, this is a worthy cause. Wish you could make the trip one day. If you make it to the East Coast, there are a lot of us pretty close together.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/29/21
Jim just sent me a closeup of the engraving on 33.390 pictured on page 7 of Bailey's book. It doesn't look like Tue's work. The 1895 and the 1899 pictured on pages 4 and 5 have been sold. They will be pictured in my new book.
Jim just sent me a closeup of the engraving on 33.390 pictured on page 7 of Bailey's book. It doesn't look like Tue's work. The 1895 and the 1899 pictured on pages 4 and 5 have been sold. They will be pictured in my new book.

Ok so 33.390 is not Tue. ?? But I doubt it. Then who?
Maybe you could re-post those pics and we could decide for ourselves. ??
Posted By: kiwi Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/30/21
Thanks for the offer Joe
Would love to but need to get a few ducks in a row on the new place
and wait till covid is well and truly buried if it ever will be

Cheers Graham
Posted By: kiwi Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/30/21
You could always post the photos on this forum
and see if they can ID the engraver
https://engraverscafe.com/forums/hand-engraving-forum.1/
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/30/21
He only sent a pic of the left side of the receiver.
[Linked Image]
He only sent a pic of the left side of the receiver.
[Linked Image]

More/better pics would help, but, clearly does not appear to be Tue or a known pattern.
It's interesting. Likely after market engraving vs. factory. ??
Does the owner have a factory letter or any other info on the rifle?
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/30/21
A factory letter would shed a lot of light on the subject. If and when I get to Cody I hope I can look this one up. The rifle belongs to Baily Brower. John Wright bought the Tue engraved 1895 pictured on page 4 of Bailey's book a number of years ago. John said Bailey didn't have a letter on 33390 at that time. John was also skeptical about the engraving.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Baily Brower collection - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Mr. Supica is about to sell this collection here:
https://www.gunheritage.com/
shocked

Put a number on it and let's roll.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Baily Brower collection - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by kiwi
Thanks for the offer Joe
Would love to but need to get a few ducks in a row on the new place
and wait till covid is well and truly buried if it ever will be

Cheers Graham

Graham, a little off topic, but Gary, two or three other guys from the campfire, and I used to meet every other week or so for lunch, at our favorite Pub/Brew House. Unfortunately, they went out of business, I don't think it was our fault? Lucky for us, there is another Pub just up the road, and on special, they have Roo Taco's. They are pretty good. Is Kangaroo served in restaurants down there?
Posted By: Malcolm Re: Baily Brower collection - 04/02/21
I don't think they eat kangaroo's Joe. I know you remember what Prince Phillip said ... " if it has wings and it flies , legs and it walks or fins and it swims the chineese will eat it.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Baily Brower collection - 04/02/21
Originally Posted by Malcolm
I don't think they eat kangaroo's Joe. I know you remember what Prince Phillip said ... " if it has wings and it flies , legs and it walks or fins and it swims the chineese will eat it.

Back in the 70's my buddy drove long haul. He picked up a refer load on the West Coast and took it to a McDonalds processing plant, said it was Kangaroo. I didn't believe him. A year or two later it was in the news. The problem was their 100% beef advertising. I heard they got around it on a technicality, in some parts of the world they call all red meat beef.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Baily Brower collection - 04/02/21
I just did a search and they say that McRibs made from Roo is an urban legend. Their records didn't go back into the 70's. Most of their myths were from the 2000's.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Baily Brower collection - 04/02/21
My Daughter backpacked around Australia for almost a year.
She said Kangaroo was offered at restaurants and markets. She brought me some Kangaroo jerky......
Posted By: kiwi Re: Baily Brower collection - 04/03/21
Don't have Kangaroos in New Zealand they are an Aussie thing
We have wallabies here that were released and spread like weeds I know a lot
of people hunt them mainly as pest control. Don't know if they eat them
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I just did a search and they say that McRibs made from Roo is an urban legend. Their records didn't go back into the 70's. Most of their myths were from the 2000's.

I distinctly remember that actually happening here in the States in the '80s .... An independent test was performed and they found kangaroo meat in with the beef . This was before McDonald's advertised the fact that it was USA made beef . At the time a good portion of McDonald's beef was Australian raised .

This was also the independent laboratory who found cow corn not fit for human consumption being used for tortilla chips by Taco Bell , Frito-Lay and others .

Yum .
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Baily Brower collection - 04/03/21
Maybe the Aussies slipped some roo in with the beef and didn't tell Mickey D's.
Posted By: Malcolm Re: Baily Brower collection - 04/04/21
[video:youtube]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1635F5CFFFABBFB59B271635&FORM=VDQVAP[/video]

The golden Savage pistol is pretty cool , unbelievable really. . The hammer prices are almost as interesting as the guns..
© 24hourcampfire