Home
Posted By: triple_deuce 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/13/21
I think its ready for deer season!! 5 consecutive shots. First 3 one big hole and then it started to wander a bit. I will still take it for a 100 year old rifle.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...989889/savage-22hp-with-malcolm-3x-scope
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/13/21
Pretty nice!!
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/13/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Pretty nice!!

Thanks to you and Joe for the starting load.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/13/21
Glad to be of service, haha!
Posted By: 99guy Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/14/21
Nice !
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/14/21
If I don't get a chance to squint through that scope at Noxen, may a Bird of Paradise fly up your nose!

Furthermore, I think we need to witness a shoot-off between you and Joe with your two Malcolm-equipped .22 HP's. I'll supply the ammo.
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/14/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If I don't get a chance to squint through that scope at Noxen, may a Bird of Paradise fly up your nose!

Furthermore, I think we need to witness a shoot-off between you and Joe with your two Malcolm-equipped .22 HP's. I'll supply the ammo.

Lol. You will shoot it!!
Posted By: saddlering Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/14/21
Sounds like A plan, the shoot off, hope to see it also!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/14/21
I thought I posted this on the Savage forum but somehow I was in the gallery forum. Triple Duece, are those Malcolm Mounts? The rear is entirely different than the Malcolm's owned by Joe Martin and John Wright. The front is also quite a bit different from what I can see. Gene knows a lot about these mounts. Maybe he can offer some clarification.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/14/21
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I thought I posted this on the Savage forum but somehow I was in the gallery forum. Triple Duece, are those Malcolm Mounts? The rear is entirely different than the Malcolm's owned by Joe Martin and John Wright. The front is also quite a bit different from what I can see. Gene knows a lot about these mounts. Maybe he can offer some clarification.

They are Malcolm mounts. Type C i believe.
They sort of look like Stiths. At least they mount like Stiths
Originally Posted by wyo1895
They sort of look like Stiths. At least they mount like Stiths

I added two more photos to my gallery.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I'll check them out
Posted By: GeneB Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/14/21
Joe Martins is a 3/4" side micrometer side mount, CMHJohns is 3/4" a manually adjusted side mount, Tripleduce has a 5/8" center mount and I have a 5/8" micrometer side mount on my 22HP. I think 5/8" scopes were discontinued around WWI.

This link has some information on the differences - /malcolm-scoped-1899s
That is interesting. I wonder if there are any more variations of the Malcolm scope mounts for the Savage 1899's?
Originally Posted by GeneB
Joe Martins is a 3/4" side micrometer side mount, CMHJohns is 3/4" a manually adjusted side mount, Tripleduce has a 5/8" center mount and I have a 5/8" micrometer side mount on my 22HP. I think 5/8" scopes were discontinued around WWI.

This link has some information on the differences - /malcolm-scoped-1899s

My front mount is a bit different then all the others you posted Gene. Mine has knobs to adjust for windage instead of screws and the metal tab that puts pressure on the scope is quite a bit longer. Maybe there were some other variations.

Joe
Posted By: GeneB Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/14/21
The only other variation of Malcolm mount I've seen is a manually adjusted rear center mount, it looks almost the same but does not have the elevation screw on the one side. The center mounts for the 1899's have a standard upper mounting assembly attached to a special base that fits the Savage tang sight holes, the same upper can be mounted on the barrel in a dovetail or by screws.

The side mounts are all the same design but the rear elevation piece that holds the scope will have different offsets for rifles with different thickness receivers, the Savage having the most offset I've seen - I think the side mount fronts are the same offset for all applications with the difference being addressed just in the rear mount.

Triple_duece, just saw your post, The 5/8" center mount in some of my pictures does not have a standard Malcom front mount, it may not even be a Malcolm mount. The 3/4 center mount has a front mount with windage and has the adjusting knobs.

I have a manually adjusted 3/4" center mount set, I will try to get pictures later today or tomorrow, also a detail of the 3/4" micrometer adjusted front mount.
I added some close ups of my mounts Gene.

Joe
Posted By: Poconojack Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/15/21

Very nice Joe.
Great when a project comes together.
Posted By: GeneB Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/15/21
Originally Posted by triple_deuce
I added some close ups of my mounts Gene.
Joe
Joe, I finally got some more pictures, starting with the 3/4" with manually adjusted center mounts that attach to the barrel, the front is in a screw on dovetail piece but I think it could be put right in a dovetail in the barrel. The rear mount could be attached to a bracket for an 1899, they're all just held on with a single large screw and can pivot.

Manual adjusted mounts -
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3/4" center mount, micrometer adjust -
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Joe, the front mount is later than yours but should be similar, just that it has slotted adjusting screws instead of thumb screws.

5/8" side mount, micrometer adjusted -
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The tapered hole in the top of the rear mount is for a lathe center, for tuning the elevation shaft, that shows how far the ring is off center for an 1899. If you see a side mount with that tapered hole near the center of the ring it will not work on an 1899 with a front mount with the usual offset, I think all front mounts might be the same offset.

Posted By: triple_deuce Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/16/21
Thanks for all the pics Gene. Now i need to find the scope caps.

Joe
Posted By: GeneB Re: 22hp with Malcolm 3x - 04/16/21
I found another set of mounts that were on a Litschert target scope with a rib, I'm not sure these are original Malcolm or a copy. The front was made special for a ribbed scope and is not a modification. I do not know what they would fit, the rear is made with a step to mount on a receiver with the ring sitting forward and lower.

[Linked Image]

I had been asked a question about how a front mount worked, here is a set of assembly pictures. The split under the front mounting screw is to allow it to be used to lock the adjustment and it need to be loosened before adjusting.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire