Home
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21

It is with sadness that I inform you of the passing of John Wright.
Recently an advanced cancer situation caused a rapid decline and John died peacefully surrounded by his family on Tuesday afternoon June 19th at his farm near Columbus.
John took the opportunity to draft his own obituary. It is below.
Details regarding the dispersal of his collection will follow at a later date.
Feel free to share a tribute to this fine man.
We on the Savage Collector forum have been fortunate to have John participate in all things Savage.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

John was a trusted friend and mentor to me. A good conversationalist, quick to laugh, of the highest character and always a gentleman. I will miss him and look forward until next we meet.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
Ah, man. Looking at a laptop screen through misty eyes now. Rest in Peace, John. I'll miss your even-handedness and your cheerful sharing of Savage knowledge.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
When I bought my 1917 pistol in .380 along with the Audley security holster he quickly PM'd me with the value of the holster, to say nothing of the pistol. RIP John. Another one gone.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
RIP Mr. Wright and thanks.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
He was a major contributor to both of my books. I spent time with him at his farm while working on the books. He was a great guy. I'm going to dedicate the book on engraved Savages to him. David Royal
Posted By: Rick99 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
6/13/2002... a 19 year member of the Savage Collectors Forum and the Gun & Knife board before that. He hosted Savage Fest 2010. He was a personal friend who stayed overnight on several occasion's while attending the Missouri Valley gun show in Kansas City. Great weekends with John and other Savage collectors at Tulsa and the Ohio Collectors show. One of those guys you never tire of having around.

Rest easy John ...
Posted By: steve99 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
Sorry to hear of John's passing. He'll be missed for sure. RIP.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
Sorry to hear of this.
Posted By: JeffG Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
Yes, sad news. I only got to meet this gentle man once. I stopped in awe, walking past his table, and stammered, "Wow! I never imagined I'd get to see one of these in real life.., or these!" "Pick it up! Take a closer look!" he said, with this same bright eyed sincere smile! Thank You Mr. Wright! Go gently and rest easy!
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
RIP John. I only met John once at the fest in 2016 but had a few conversations with him. He was a wealth of knowledge and will be surely missed.

Joe
Posted By: diamondjim Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
Rest in peace John.

Your time on earth was blessed with family and friends. Heaven is a glorious place. Someday we will all meet you there.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
I am deeply saddened by the news. John was a dear friend, a true gentleman and man among men.

I am grateful for the few times we were face to face and shared a good meal and a bottle of fine wine.

His contribution to the various Savage Fests was always superlative.

I will miss you old friend. Rest in Peace.
Posted By: texken Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
same age as me, did not have the pleasure of meeting him, my loss. rest in peace
Posted By: Poconojack Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21

Had the pleasure to meet and talk with John at Wellsboro.

A True Gentleman
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
Likewise, I had an opportunity to meet him once at a gun show. Enjoyed the conversation.

R.I.P.
Posted By: Polecat Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
Sad news. I never met John but I enjoyed his contribution to this forum. R.I.P.

Lee
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I'm going to dedicate the book on engraved Savages to him. David Royal

That's a great idea!

ohio gun collector assn. John Wright
Posted By: olgrouser Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Thanks for posting a great read.
Posted By: 99guy Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
May he RIP

This is really sad. John and I messaged each other now and then about interesting 99’s. Finally got to meet him at the 2016 Fest. Such a knowledgeable and nice man he was. Never forget some of the beauties he brought to the Fest.
RIP old friend. You’ll be missed by many.

Joe
Posted By: kk alaska Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/24/21
May John RIP and condolences to his family and friends
Sad news. My sincere condolences to his family
Posted By: saddlering Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/25/21
RIP John, met John at the second Savage fest! He had some savage pistols there, most were engraved. He also had a savage 45 cal pistol and let me hold it a bit. A very interesting guy, glad I got to Meet him.
Posted By: Dale K Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/25/21
I too met him at Wellsboro. RIP sir. Peace, Strength, and the Grace of God be with his family and friends in this time of sorrow.

Dale
Posted By: mad_dog Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/25/21
So I finally get time to see what’s happening on the forum and find this at the top of the page. Very saddened to hear the news, always had good chats and we both loved the .380’s and pm’d each other quite a bit about them. He’ll be missed.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/25/21
Dang. Just… dang. I always enjoyed talking to him in Tulsa and at the Fests, just chatted with him in April on the phone. Lots of PMs with him over the years. He was always willing to help out in any way. Very much a true gentleman.

Late night talks at the Fests were always fun, and I can’t remember one without him.
Posted By: Savageupnorth Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/25/21
Met him at 2 fests and always cheerful and most of all always encouraging to the new guys in collecting. Always had something nice to say. RIP!
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/25/21
Rest in Peace John. One of the fests he offered to sell me an engraved 1899 and I told him I couldn't swing it. In PM after the fest he offered me the opportunity to pay at my leisure over the next 3 years. I didn't buy the rifle, but the offer speaks to the kind of fella he was.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/25/21
If the world had more Johns in it, it would be a nicer place.
Rest in Peace Brother!
Posted By: Skidrow Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/25/21
Sad news indeed. John was one of the great ones. We seldom met in person but I always enjoyed the visit. R.I.P. John.
Posted By: Loggah Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/26/21
R.I.P. John, he was one nice guy, met him at the second savagefest also.
Posted By: oldotter Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/26/21
Had the honor of meeting John at the Wellsboro, PA fest also. True gentleman if there ever was one. Treated me like an old friend. Its said when an elderly person dies, its like a library burning down. We just lost one hell of a library. Fell very fortunate I had the chance to meet talk to him.
Posted By: Savage94C Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/26/21
Very true what oldotter just posted. Have lost a number of 'elderly' friends, relatives, and acquaintances over the years as everyone does and always seems that an important chapter of life's history and knowledge is lost also. Never had the honor of meeting John, but always enjoyed his posts I read. Would have liked to have met him. God's Blessings on his family and friends.
Posted By: norm99 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 06/27/21
grate guy to deal with,RIP John
Posted By: Savage1907 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 07/02/21
With great sadness did I read this.

Conversed with John many times when he was first getting into the pistols, over the phone and at the tables. Always admired how he absorbed and shared knowledge and research. Once gave him a M1915 magazine at Tulsa for a pistol he bought, you'd have thought I'd given him a new truck. A number of Koch brother pistols moved into his collection.

Due to my own health and work, we dropped out of touch over the past few years. I regret that.

Rest in peace, John, eaven has gained a great collector.
Rick99 and I traveled to Columbus over the weekend to attend a Celebration of Life for John.
We spent time at the Farm and also with his loved ones, friends and many associates.
Here is a photo at the Celebration and one of Pedro at the Farm.

Posted By: Shortgrub Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 08/02/21
My condolences to John's family for their loss. Another fine gentleman gone to make some great reunions.

R.I.P.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 08/02/21
I'm glad you guys were able to go. He'll definitely be missed here, I hope his family is doing okay.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 08/02/21
nice! I wish I could have been there. Where did the alligator come from?
Posted By: Rick99 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 08/02/21
There is a big pond behind where Rick is standing. The owner said they had 100 head of horses on the place some time back but I only saw two. There were no casualties while we were there but we left before dark.
Originally Posted by Rick99
There is a big pond behind where Rick is standing. The owner said they had 100 head of horses on the place some time back but I only saw two. There were no casualties while we were there but we left before dark."he caught yellow fever a while ago" Boys and their toys....

Posted By: wyo1895 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 08/03/21
I'm confused. Was this in Ohio and they have live gators? I just figured it was stuffed and a piece of yard art. Did the gators eat the other 98 horses?
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I'm confused. Was this in Ohio and they have live gators? I just figured it was stuffed and a piece of yard art. Did the gators eat the other 98 horses?

Lawn ornament. Had them all over the place.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 08/04/21
laugh laugh laugh grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: cmhjohn in memoriam - 08/04/21
Thanks for clarifying that. I remembered after my last post that John had a place in Florida too.
© 24hourcampfire