Home
Posted By: TBear47 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/18/21
I have a 99 Savage rifle serial #83123 with good wood considering the age & the action & barrel a nice patina. Gun has a adjustable peep sight & a good bore. I acquired about 30 years ago when I stopped at the end of a small gun show & a dealer was in a panic to buy a gun from another dealer packing up to leave. I purchased for $350 cash.
I also have a box of factory ammo, a bag of unprimed cases, a box of bullets & primers which I cannot ship. Best guess as to value. Thanks for any input.
tbear
Posted By: S99VG Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/19/21
A bit confusing. Are you selling?
Posted By: TBear47 Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/19/21
Possibly, depending on value. I have never shot but have factory ammo & reloading supplies. Seems to have been mostly stored & shot very little. If interested contact me.
tbear
Posted By: nash22 Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/19/21
Tried to pm you, but it says you're over your limit.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/19/21
Savage 1899 made 1908 with:
26" barrel - round (1899-A), octagon (1899-B), 1/2 octagon (1899-C)
22" barrel - (1899-A ,Short Rifle)
20" barrel - (1899-F, carbine w/saddle ring)
20" lightweight barrel - (1899-H)... thanks David
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/19/21
20" lightweight barrel, 1899H
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by nash22

New members don't get PM's until they've done a certain number of posts. RickBin had to implement that to stop spammers.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/19/21
Thanks David... more coffee needed.
Sorry. I changed phones & had to get a new nickname. I was an old time member as tbear.
I can receive emails at [email protected]
I'm interested in selling. Can send photos to email address if anyone is interested.
If not, I have a lot of guns to pass on to my kids someday. Gun safes are overflowing & I have sold quite a few. Thanks
tbear
My 303 cal. has a octagonal barrel so that makes it a 1899B. Tang sight is adjustable & gun has cartridge counter which I guess is standard. No major scratches on stock just a few dings. Bore appears very good. Great condition considering it's over a 100 years old.
tbear
Posted By: nash22 Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by nash22

New members don't get PM's until they've done a certain number of posts. RickBin had to implement that to stop spammers.

Ok, thanks
Posted By: TBear47 Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by TBear47
My 303 cal. has a octagonal barrel so that makes it a 1899B. Tang sight is adjustable & gun has cartridge counter which I guess is standard. No major scratches on stock just a few dings. Bore appears very good. Great condition considering it's over a 100 years old.
tbear
Posted By: TBear47 Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 07/21/21
SOLD
Posted By: BillAF84 Re: 303 cal. 99 Savage rifle - 09/21/21
In Aug. I got a 1899C, has 20" barrel. Doesn't look like it was shortened. Butt stock is a so-so replacement with a recoil pad. Don't know yet what the original butt style was, waiting for a letter from Cody. This week a crescent "rifle" butt turned up on e-bay, I grabbed it, as I have not seen a Savage crescent plate anywhere. The wood has a bubba repair to the wrist, 4 wood screws and glue. Not pretty, but serviceable. Don't have it in hand yet, so I wait to see what bolt length it needs. The bolt length I currently have is the early long one, and the installed stock is drilled for the short bolt, so it was really just a friction fit. I got a replacement short bolt on the 'net, and found that it did not fit - the thread is .004" larger than the original. I cut a spacer from a AA Maglite barrel to make a fit with the long bolt.
The old girl is .303Sav, and had 2 boxes of ammo in the deal, and I have ordered 50 rounds of brass from Brownell, and dies, too. With the .308 bore, I have no shortage of bullets for loading. Condition is very used, but not beat up, price was probably a bit high, but 99/1899s are not common at our gun shows here in NW Arkansas. When I saw the 1/2 octagon barrel, I didn't care what caliber it was. I had been looking for a Savage for a while, this one said "take me home". I found a Marble's S1 flex tang sight. but it is frozen upright, need to find someone who knows how to work on it. Marbles said sorry, no. Does anyone have a recommendation for repair? I have a Marbles folding leaf rear sight to put on, need to get a new front sight, the Lyman on it has lost its bead, and probably won't be the right height for the new rear sight anyway.
One other thing - there is a reimport stamp under the barrel, "DFAC Arlington VA". Maybe came back from Canada? I have seen picture of a sporterized MHG model with the same stamp. Looking foreward to a range day with this and my newly acquired Ithaca
37R 12 ga.

Are you disengaging the little locking tab on the Marble when you’re trying to adjust up or down?
© 24hourcampfire