Home
Interesting piece of Savage memorabilia.
Guessing it dates to the '20's based upon markings. Early? Late? Wha?
Thoughts?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Brass Figurine - 07/19/21
There is an old discussion on it but I don't recall the details.

They go through ebay now and then. One just sold that was listed at $300. It went for 'best offer' which isn't revealed.

I never really cared for it. Kinda crude work to me...
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Brass Figurine - 07/19/21
I'd say 1927-1941.. with no mention of Fox, maybe earlier on that timeline than later? Got a few pictures of a couple from Fug's.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Brass Figurine - 07/19/21
SVG came into use late 1927 -at least by Jan 1928, I've not seen it on anything dated earlier than that.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Brass Figurine - 07/19/21
I have an extra one.
Posted By: svg250 Re: Brass Figurine - 07/19/21
I have one with the tags on it, 1927-1946???
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Brass Figurine - 07/20/21
I saw one when I was at Ralph McElwain's. He wants to sell his memorabilia.
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Brass Figurine - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by svg250
I have one with the tags on it, 1927-1946???

What is on the tags?

Ok, SVG occurred ~1927. At the time it was Savage Stevens ~1920-1930.
Fox was purchased in 1930. No mention of Fox on this brass piece. And advertising became Savage Steven Fox at some point.

Like most Savage things, there is probably some lag in the system as to when things started and ended.
I could see this brass statue being produced into the '30's, but the '40's too?? Just seems like Savage Stevens would have faded in the '30's as it became Savage Stevens Fox.

Just noodling the thought around.........
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Brass Figurine - 07/20/21
Savage tended to keep their advertising separate for Savage, Stevens and Fox until 1947. That's a general statement, as with everything there are exceptions.

But the catalogs, pricelists, etc were all separate.
Posted By: svg250 Re: Brass Figurine - 07/21/21
Southern wi Savage, one side says Real Brass other says
I. S Spencer and sons
Guilford
Conn
USA
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Brass Figurine - 07/21/21
There are none shown in the catalogs so I would guess they were given as gifts to the bigger dealers and probably just a one time production run.

There was an metal ash tray turned up that had flat spots where the man and dog would attach but no screw holes so probably a prototype that was not used. The man and dog are attached to the base with screws from the bottom.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Brass Figurine - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

One just sold that was listed at $300. It went for 'best offer' which isn't revealed.

I think the price was $399.99.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Brass Figurine - 07/21/21
I have had on several years now. I have left it in "as found" condition. It took a few "looks" to find one that was even for sale.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Brass Figurine - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by Rick99
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

One just sold that was listed at $300. It went for 'best offer' which isn't revealed.

I think the price was $399.99.

Yes it was indeed! Gotta wonder what the sold was?
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Brass Figurine - 07/21/21
I've seen several on ebay in recent years.
Some are pretty corroded or bent barrel or both.
Occasionally a nice one shows up.

There was a nice one about a week ago asking $425.
Make offer was $275.
It arrives today. smile
Posted By: Jericho Re: Brass Figurine - 07/22/21
I believe I have seen a couple of those over the years, both had the rifle bent or missing
Posted By: GeneB Re: Brass Figurine - 07/22/21
A friend of mine who collected Savage & Stevens for a very long time had two of them, he passed away a few years ago and they were sold at auction in a large lot of Savage & Stevens items which I bought, I already had one. There were several watch fob's, a couple scales and a broken pen stand. Here are a few of the items I have left that were easy to get at. The Steven's emergency sewing kits are the only two I have ever seen and my research has not turned up any others, not even with different advertising on them. I did find an old article about them being passed out at a hardware convention about 1915 by the representative of the Stevens Tool Division.

[Linked Image]

Lets take a poll:
Is that dog humping the shooter’s leg?
© 24hourcampfire