Home
Posted By: JoeMartin Savage Springfield scopes? - 07/28/21
I know we’ve talked about these in years past. My friend asked about one at auction, current bid is $1. Says 4X15, made in Japan. Looks about new. He thought it would look cool just having Savage on it. Looks like a 60’s-70’s scope. I told him to go to $5-$10 for it and put it on the 308 DL I gave him for his birthday. Refresh my memory on these things?
Posted By: S99VG Re: Savage Springfield scopes? - 07/28/21
I don't know if I can refresh your memory but I suspect those scopes were of the same quality as anything else that came out of Japan back in the 1960s, and you certainly didn't hurt on the price. It seems like the Savage scopes don't command much respect but that doesn't mean they aren't any good and there have been times when I too thought one would look right at home on a 60s vintage 99. Of course to go with that scope you should get the private labeled Lyman Trulock bases and rings to complete the set. I used to have some but my last set I think went to Gary for the 99 build he completed a couple years ago.
Joe, I believe that's a 3/4" scope for a .22. Take a good look at it first.
Thanks Mike, now that you mention it, I think it did have clamp on bases that clamped to the grooved rail on the old 22's. I had 3 IPA's in me, and I didn't want it, so I didn't pay that much attention. I think you are right. I'll tell john to take a closer look.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage Springfield scopes? - 07/28/21
If you're looking for a scope to dress up a wall hanger go with a 60 year old Savage-branded scope, go for it. If you're gonna actually use it to hunt with in all kinds of weather, drop the scope in the kitchen trash can.
I'm not bidding on it, with a $1 opener. John is the one that likes it. I told him to go buy a good beer instead.
Posted By: purri Re: Savage Springfield scopes? - 07/29/21
Kowa made very good optics in binocs and scopes in that peroid, Don't know if any were mfg Savage branded.
© 24hourcampfire