Home
Posted By: Calhoun Pocket Reference Books are in - 08/17/21
I should be able to start getting books out in the next couple days to folks who have sent in checks for signed and numbered copies.

Of course, you can order unsigned copies and the calendar off of the web site.

If you haven't sent in a check yet, Blitz threw together this form to print and send in with. Or just include a note with your check, I'm easy. grin

Signed Book Order Form

7 boxes full!

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]
cool, looking forward to my copy
Ordered an unsigned copy off the web site on Aug 7th. Haven’t seen it or shipping confirmation yet, so maybe they just got their shipment in, too. Can’t wait ! 😲
I ordered 4 books and a canendar. Got the calendar today GREAT job.
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Ordered an unsigned copy off the web site on Aug 7th. Haven’t seen it or shipping confirmation yet, so maybe they just got their shipment in, too. Can’t wait ! 😲

Mine was ordered over a week earlier than yours. I think we've run up against the huge set of orders for college textbooks, since that's only a week or so off for most colleges. It wasn't this slow this summer to get books printed.

Originally Posted by Longbeardking

I think I'm just going to tweak that calendar every year and reprint it for my wall. I love those pictures.
can't wait ordered the calendar from site and direct from you for books

thank you for all your hard work
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

Mine was ordered over a week earlier than yours. I think we've run up against the huge set of orders for college textbooks, since that's only a week or so off for most colleges. It wasn't this slow this summer to get books printed.

Originally Posted by Longbeardking

I think I'm just going to tweak that calendar every year and reprint it for my wall. I love those pictures.

Does the calendar show moon phases and holidays?
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Does the calendar show moon phases and holidays?

It does have US holidays, actual and observed (so if Christmas is a Saturday, it'll show the preceding Friday as "Christmas (Observed)). I think it was possible to upload custom holidays.. adding moon phases is not a bad idea to do.

I'll probably reset that Calendar in October or so to start on January, 2022 rather than September, 2021. I'll see if I can't get moon phases loaded. I'd add it now, but if I tweak the book or calendar the price would increase a bit. They had to bump prices for any "new" items due to cost increases.
Maybe Ray Herbert is right about me, but the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask.

My question is this; What does "S/N" mean on your printed order form?
Yeah.. S/N is a bit confusing there, isn't it? It means the reserved signed number(s) you would like to match David's books that he signed, or just a preference for a signed number. Signed books will go from 1 to 500.
Getting alerts that a whole bunch of web orders are shipping this evening. So now we move from slow printer, to slow mail delivery. But they're moving!
Why is the order form blacked out?
If you gents would like, I can change the S/N to something a little more meaningful, like "number requested".

Or make a suggestion!

Let me know. Will take about all of 10 seconds to change and send to Rory.
Just sent a new form to Rory. Moved columns, changed S/N to "Signed number".

A tad clearer.
Tweaked the order form a bit, and the new form is loaded. Thanks, Blitz!

Okay, here's the campfire folks that I have down as having paid and will be getting books mailed. If I'm missing anybody, it might be because I don't know your campfire handle - or maybe the USPS hasn't got a check to me yet? PM me if you don't see your name, but the check went out long enough ago to reach me.

People who ordered unsigned books from the web site won't be listed here either, the printer will ship you your book rather than me sending you a signed one.

bigolddave
Blitz
Dale_K
diamondjim
eaglemountain
Fug
geneB
gnoaah
Jaaack
jar
jsgwoodsman
KeithNyst
Loggah
nifty-250
oldtimer303
poconojack
Rakkasan
Rick99
saddlering
Savageupnorth
tbear99
TomA
wyo1895
Getting alerts that a whole bunch of web orders are shipping this evening. So now we move from slow printer, to slow mail delivery. But they're moving!

I got an email alert yesterday that my copy is on its way from my web purchase 👍
I saw the order form two days ago, (when my printer was out of ink), now I can't find it,

SCRATCH THAT, I found it, on page one, first post, highlighted link
Here ya go.

Signed Book Order Form
Thanks Rory!
Rory, sending check tomorrow for signed numbered copy 25 to match my David Royal Book.

Thanks,

Randy
#25 is reserved for you, Randy.

Just sold a copy to the auctioneer who is selling my neighbor's collection. My neighbor has watched local auctions for 99s for me for years, so I gave him a copy as thanks when the books came in. Auctioneer loved the book when my neighbor showed it to him. Good to get a good review of it from a non-Savage gun guy.
if you didn't mail out my first book already you can wait till second check clears for the other 2 books and mail all together
Gotcha.
About half of the book orders are in the mail. Once I replenish my supply of shipping tape (I knew I was forgetting something), I'll get the rest packaged up. Hopefully in the morning, but definitely at post office Monday morning.
Got mine. Really nice. There is a lot of information there. Sort of like having Calhoun with you at the gunshow.
Originally Posted by dallased
Got mine. Really nice. There is a lot of information there. Sort of like having Calhoun with you at the gunshow.

Far better.. I can't remember anywhere near all the information that's in there. grin

It's more like having Calhoun, Rick, Fug, Keith, and about 100 others on the campfire in your pocket.

Glad you like it!
Wow, you got sent a shipment to sign or whatever, sent them out and people are already receiving them. I ordered an unsigned one and nothing yet.
Originally Posted by damnesia
Wow, you got sent a shipment to sign or whatever, sent them out and people are already receiving them. I ordered an unsigned one and nothing yet.

People are getting unsigned books they ordered when I first opened the online store. I haven't figured out the printers yet... a few orders have been slow to get printed.

The signed books I shipped out will probably arrive Monday-Wednesday next week, depending on where you live.

It looks like your order shipped on the 13th, and departed the FedEx location in St. Paul about 3 hours ago.
Originally Posted by damnesia

People are getting unsigned books they ordered when I first opened the online store. I haven't figured out the printers yet... a few orders have been slow to get printed.

The signed books I shipped out will probably arrive Monday-Wednesday next week, depending on where you live.

It looks like your order shipped on the 13th, and departed the FedEx location in St. Paul about 3 hours ago.

Hey Rory,

It's all good but thanks for the update. Sorry to take meaningless time out of your schedule! I'm just jazzed about receiving your book and didn't mean to sound like I was complaining!!
No problem! It only takes a moment to look up the tracking on an order. Have to do something while I wait for my writer's cramps to go away while signing books. grin
Originally Posted by dallased

Far better.. I can't remember anywhere near all the information that's in there. grin

It's more like having Calhoun, Rick, Fug, Keith, and about 100 others on the campfire in your pocket.

Glad you like it!

Good lord. That many. I had better get a couple more cases of Yuengling.
Just got my order this morning. Great book. Easy to read and handy for size. Between this and David's book, just wow.
Thanks.
haven't gotten mine yet. Looking forward to getting it.
Posted By: TomA Re: Pocket Reference Books are in - 08/23/21
Received my 2 hard covered books today, thanks Rory.
Glad they arrived. I'm caught up on mailings, so everything should be on the way for people that I've gotten checks from.

Course, two new checks came today. So I'll continue to be behind. grin
Rory, Got mine and Dicks books today!!!!! Great job!!!!in reading thru it, i actually started to remember things !! grinagain thanks,now i have to try and educate a few shop owners.Don
DON'T EDUCATE THEM!

Means prices will go up even further!
Received mine today. Nice job Rory, and the calendar is awesome too.
Posted By: RAS Re: Pocket Reference Books are in - 08/24/21
Cool.

I will order some gear. One book will need to go to Alaska.
I didn't receive my free 1899 with the order though laugh
Mine was in the mail today but I haven't had a chance to open the package yet.

Thanks!

Dale
Originally Posted by TomA
Received my 2 hard covered books today, thanks Rory.

Was I asleep at the wheel for a while? Is TomA referring to signed hardcovered books he received or one's ordered from the publisher? Rory if you have hardcovered books in and are signing now, I'll get my check in the mail for signed #28, unless someone who has David's signed #28 has put in a request. Haven't seen any request yet at least here on the forum. If you're not signing hardcover's yet, any idea when you will receive them? I ain't a cat, but as curious as one. grin
Appreciate the compliments, glad folks are getting it in hand and are liking it.

damnesia - Sorry, man.. that cased set must have got lost in the mail. Maybe if you buy a couple more books the next cased set will make it to you. grin

Originally Posted by Savage94C
Was I asleep at the wheel for a while? Is TomA referring to signed hardcovered books he received or one's ordered from the publisher? Rory if you have hardcovered books in and are signing now, I'll get my check in the mail for signed #28, unless someone who has David's signed #28 has put in a request. Haven't seen any request yet at least here on the forum. If you're not signing hardcover's yet, any idea when you will receive them? I ain't a cat, but as curious as one. grin

Yep, I have had them in hand for a little more than a week. #28 is still reserved for you whenever you can get the check to me. There's a link to an order form in the original post up top which has prices and my address. You don't have to print out the form and mail it in, a quick note works.

A couple folks have overpaid by a bit. So if you find a couple dollar bills or a fiver in your book, you know why now. grin
Rory got my book! Great Job Thanks again!
Glad you like it, John.

Everything I mailed Friday is delivered, except for gnoaah's and eaglemountain's are being delivered today. So if you paid and you don't have it, tracking shows most of the packages I mailed yesterday will arrive this Friday. Couple might make it on Thursday if you're close to Nebraska.

PS: Sorry.. there's one Alaska package mailed Friday that's still in transit.
The mailman made good on Big Brother's monitoring of my purchases - The Book arrived just now.

I must say it is an excellent little reference volume. My hat is off to you, sir, for a job well done!!

I like your dedication of the book to John Wright. That, Rory, is a distinctive touch of class.
Thank you, sir. It's mostly a book of campfire knowledge... except the postmil stuff. You guys made me (and Keith) look a lot of that up ourselves. grin

i think now books have been ordered from 6 foreign countries.

Canada
South Africa
Australia
New Zealand
Oregon
California

Not bad. grin
I got my calendar today. I really like it.
Originally Posted by wyo1895

Originally Posted by wyo1895

+1 and as far as mine keep the extra shipping money
Nicely done Rory.
Lots of useful info chocked into a small package.

Appendix B page 117... it's Siegfried "Rentzschke". smile
Good catch.. I need to start building an errata page with corrections.
I used Rentzschke's name a lot in my new book. I had to keep looking back to my notes to get it spelled right. It's a hard one to remember. When I was in the Marine Corps we called names like that alphabet names. Sort of looks like a bunch of letters just thrown together. The guy was a hell of an engraver.
got my books today looks great ty
Posted By: jar Re: Pocket Reference Books are in - 08/25/21
Books in the mail yesterday , thanks Rory , nice job. well done . and it will be a perfect christmas gift to the 2 young 99 freaks I have made outa my son and son inlaw.
Cool! Glad they are arriving! A couple of the early orders are still pending, haven't even shipped. Grrr..
Known errors so far. I'm sure the list will grow.

-------------------------------------------------

Errata:

Page 3, Savage 99 Dates – Westfield, MA : Some early 1971 rifles had a Y date stamp, but later rifles in 1971 do not have a date stamp. The Y date stamp is not listed for 1971.

Page 3, Savage 99 Dates - Westfield, MA : The 75th Anniversary’s high serial number is 8300AS.

Page 83, Savage 99T : Footnote ending with “1945” runs into page number “83”.

Page 117, Appendix B : Correct spelling of Siegfried Rentzke’s last name is “Rentzschke”.
"Never sweat the petty stuff, and always pet the...."😁
Got the book today, will enjoy for many hours, Thank you so much for a lot of hard work,
Got both of mine today. All I can say is...

WOW!

Thanks again for your hard work and diligence!

Blitz
#99 received. Thank you, sir. grin
Got mine couple days ago. Thanks!
Great job. Easy and fun to use. Probably influence a few more additions to the wish list...
Bruce
Thank you, sir. It's mostly a book of campfire knowledge... except the postmil stuff. You guys made me (and Keith) look a lot of that up ourselves. grin

i think now books have been ordered from 6 foreign countries.

Canada
South Africa
Australia
New Zealand
Oregon
California

Not bad. grin

Hi Rory , How much for 2 paperbacks and a calendar shipped to B.C. ?
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Hi Rory , How much for 2 paperbacks and a calendar shipped to B.C. ?

I didn't have any calendars drop-shipped here, so I can't mail those out. I had no idea how many might sell.. They have to be ordered off the web site.

And I can ship to Canada, but the rates are crazy (to me). It looks like Vancouver, BC would be about $20 shipping, and $53.98 for 2 books - so $73.98 total.

The printer is slower, but they are cheaper. They shipped an order to Ontario for $7, so going through them you should be able to get 2 paperbacks ($43.98), calendar ($17.99) and shipping for < $10 hopefully. It just wouldn't be signed books. So $72'ish would get you the books and calendar I think. The downside is that books from the printer won't be signed.
OK, Thanx ,I'll go to the bookstore.

Calhoun
Received my copy today. Pleased with the results. Any photos of the calendar available on this site, other than the one depicted on the order site. Thanks GW
I posted this a while back. 16 months that walk thru each 1899 checkering style and then engraving style. Pictures of guns, and of the artwork used in the 1907 or 1909 catalogs. Not just catalog scans..

Front cover is a picture of the Savage 99 assembly room, late 1930’s.

It was brought to my attention that I might have confused folks on the calendar. The cover page is black & white, as would be any 1930's photograph of the factory assembly areas.

But the inside pages are full color. Here's the September page for A2 checkering. I think I like the pictures of the catalog artwork more than I like the pictures of the rifles.. grin

Sorry for any confusion.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]
My copy of The Savage 99 Pocket Reference arrived about an hour ago and I have only scanned a few pages. I will give it more attention after I get the feedback off. Looks like a great book! Thank you for all your efforts and dedication to seeing it to fruition.
Rory,
The books are amazing! Forgive my ignorance, but I didn’t know they were going to include color pictures. Or so many pictures. Your efforts are apparent- I am beyond impressed.

Thank you for taking the initiative to make such a useful tool for all of us. You have my vote for MVP.

Jake
The pictures are the part that drove me crazy.. glad they came out good enough to be useful!

If I ever finish the big book, it will have pictures of every style of every model. It will definitely be a bigger book. grin
Originally Posted by 513JAKE
Rory,
The books are amazing! Forgive my ignorance, but I didn’t know they were going to include color pictures. Or so many pictures. Your efforts are apparent- I am beyond impressed.

Thank you for taking the initiative to make such a useful tool for all of us. You have my vote for MVP.

Jake

Rory,

I was going to write a quick review and thank you, but the above post said it best.
I just spent the last two hours saying “huh, I didn’t know that”...... good stuff 👍

BT53
Got mine in last week. Great book. Very informative. I love the size. I can drop it in my briefcase or pocket when I am at a show or on the road. Great job.
Thank you, guys. Glad you like it!
Hey Rory my computer has been down forever ,and i cant remember if i gave you the numbers of signed copies i want and the book numbers to match Davids books, i also need an address to send check to and amount in US funds.
Number152 is the one signed to me directly the other three just signed by David Royal. i think the other numbers are 153 ,154 ,155 but i will have to check. I'll check back tomorrow. Thanks Rory.

Thanks Rory those numbers are right , i will also take a hard copy, and there is a PM coming in.

norm99
Posted By: kiwi Re: Pocket Reference Books are in - 08/31/21
I'm waiting with anticipation
Tracking just told me they have just passed through Jamaica
Getting Closer
Oh, Graham, they're using the direct route for your book. From there it only has to go through Cape Town, South Africa, and Melbourne via kangaroo. You're lucky. It could be going by way of Moscow, Kabul, and Beijing via camel.
mine came yesterday. I love it
Mine are still in north overshoe.
kiwi, darn.. was hoping the international shipping for your book would be a bit better from the printer. Keep an eye on it..

David, thx!
Posted By: kiwi Re: Pocket Reference Books are in - 09/01/21
That's OK
Banana Boat is only a little slower
skimmed through my copy yesterday. very informative.
Ordered 4 today. Looking forward to sitting down and learning what you know! Been waiting for a long time for you to write this!
Been writing it for a long time!! First mentioned it 3 years ago, then started gathering information.

I've probably worn out a couple pairs of Loggah's shoes with him going back and forth to the vault to check things, and I think Rick was getting PTSD from seeing PM's to me (our PM thread has 2,739 posts in it!), not to mention Fug putting up with me...

It's a campfire book. Well.. except you guys don't help much on the postmils! Poor Keith and I were both all over the internet researching those things.

Appreciate the purchase! Now you get to wait for the printers and the media mail to make it to your house. It will get there.. eventually.
Hey Rory---Received my signed hardcover today. Can't wait to sit down and really get into it. Taking the Mrs out to eat tonight, suppose I could think up some excuse not to so I can sit and read, think she'd see through that and probably cut or even terminate my gun funding. LOL!!!! Looked through it a bit, really nice layout and great info. Thank you for all of your work and time. Glad you went with the cover you did, looks 'Savagey'!!!!!! grin
Thank you. But always remember, "Happy Wife, Happy Life". Have fun at dinner!

Study hard this weekend. Quiz first thing Monday morning. grin
My paperback just arrived today, and I love it. It's already gotten the dates tacked down on my 1899A and one of my 99EGs. Wasn't sure if my 1899A SR was 1909 or 1910, it's 1909. I wasn't sure if the EG was a 1948 or 1949, and it's a 1948.

Can't wait to read through the rest. It'll be very helpful when I encounter 99s at LGS 😁
Those dates are general dates, any specific rifle might have been finished later. Just got in what should have been a summer 1924 rifle, but it actually got finished summer of 1925. But most should be close to those date ranges.

Glad you like the book!
Yeah, it's very handy for someone like me. I'm an enthusiast, but not a real collector, so my knowledge on a lot of the different models is fairly limited.
Posted By: kiwi Re: Pocket Reference Books are in - 10/27/21
Books Finally Arrived. Very well done and a handy book to have
Thanks for taking the time to compile all the info
First thing I looked for was the 1895 (F) transition rifle but alas no mention
So limited and confusing I can well understand
Look forward to sitting down and immersing myself in the book
Cheers from down under
Yeah, limited room in a pocket reference so I kept it to the main variations. There are so many one-offs..

Glad you got it finally!
Kiwi, I covered our 1895F transition carbines in my new book which will be out someday. You and I have two of the three produced. I wonder what happened to the other one. Went to Africa and disappeared on a safari? For you newer guys Savage had three leftover 1895 SRC's when 1899 production started. They shortened the barrels to 20" and replaced the 1895 bolt with an 1899 bolt. They were exported. Mine went to Canada and Kiwi's to New Zealand.
David, how are you sure there's only 3?

And I'm not sure what's transition about them.. they are an 1895F that's been upgraded with 1899 parts as were probably all the 1895's they sold after they became Savage Arms, and there were a couple hundred of those at least. And the 20" barrel carbine was catalogued in the 1897 catalog, along with a 22" barrel carbine. They may very well have been made as 20" barreled carbines from the start... unless you have more info?
Originally Posted by kiwi
Books Finally Arrived. Very well done and a handy book to have
Thanks for taking the time to compile all the info
First thing I looked for was the 1895 (F) transition rifle but alas no mention
So limited and confusing I can well understand
Look forward to sitting down and immersing myself in the book
Cheers from down under

So, truthfully.. the book does mention the "transition" SRC's. On Page 12, you will see that it lists 22" barreled SRC's from 1895 to 1897. Then it lists 22" & 20" barreled SRC's for 1897-1898.

The 1895 catalog has no Carbine page or description, but does lists 20" and 15" carbine telegraph codes - no idea if any 15" carbines were ever made, if so they likely were destroyed in 1934 with the Nat'l Firearms Act.
15" 303 caliber SRC is telegraph code Fork
20" 303 caliber SRC is telegraph code Fig

But.. we never see any 20" carbines show up in 1896. Truthfully, I'm a bit off listing the SRC as even being available in 1895 - I don't think there's any evidence it was produced until several months after 1895's started being made in 1896. Anyway, early 1895 Carbines all seem to be 22". Which is fairly easily explained as the carbine seems to have been a very late addition to the 1895 catalog, which itself seems to have been assembled before they had any production rifles. So the production carbines don't match the 1895 catalog - nothing super unusual about that.

The 1897 catalog does have a Carbine page, and it describes the Carbine as having a 22" barrel. Which the majority have. But the order page lists Carbines with both 22" and 20" barrels.
20" 303 caliber SRC is telegraph code Fig
22" 303 caliber SRC is telegraph code Forge

Now, the 1897 catalog probably came out close to the time that Marlin stopped producing 1895's... so the 20" barrels might be considered an late option. But unless we get some info, I'm not sure it's right to say they were shortened to match the 20" 1899 carbines.
We had a post on here a number of years ago about this. There were other left over 1895's but I don't remember if they were modified as well. In that post someone said that there were only 3 leftover carbines and that all were exported. Mine letters as being sent to Canada June 1899.
Maybe Roe or Callahan went through the ledgers looking at Carbines. I believe Roe went through 1895 ledgers looking at military rifles and half-octagons, so it's possible. But I don't know that you could be sure of barrel lengths from ledger entries - they aren't always the most dependable records.

I would think Savage would have upgraded any standard 1895's left in inventory once they started selling 1899's. It'd be rather rude to sell an 1895 and simultaneously tell them they can have it improved for just another $5. Fancy display rifles they might not have upgraded.. or maybe they did.
Posted By: kiwi Re: Pocket Reference Books are in - 10/29/21
Well that got interesting
Yes I saw the 20" reference on page 12
Mine was shipped to Fran Daniel & Co no address on 18 April 1899
I did see that one of John Wright's 1895's shipped in Dec. 1898, and at that time they weren't upgrading the bolts because it still had an 1895 bolt. But it was still 2 months later that 1899's started shipping en masse.

kiwi, did your letter note whether the 20" barrel was recorded in the ledger?
I have a note in my data that Ralph talked to Pizza Mike, Savage99358, about one that is in the same serial range as the other two. Mike has only been on line once since June 2020.
© 24hourcampfire