Home
Posted By: wyo1895 Santa came before we got back - 09/21/21
At least that's what I'll tell my wife if she realizes I got a new one.
It's an 1895 ocatagon barrel. It's quite a bit nicer than the other one I have.
pics.
Letter
[Linked Image]
New one on the top, old one on the bottom
[Linked Image]
Correct Lyman's patent combination ivory front sight
[Linked Image]
top of bolt
[Linked Image]
receiver
[Linked Image]
I have to check the serial numbers on my two. I may have one real close.
Very nice. I love those 1895 cocking indicators. 👍

They're well beyond my pay grade in just about any condition, though, so I shall live vicariously with pictures on here.
Nice. Love me a Beech's front sight.
Crisp side panels.
Rec'r screws look new.
Metal and wood look good.
Nice rifle!
NICE upgrade David!
It appears to be only lightly used. I may take it to the range. I can see clearly through the peep sight which isn't usually the case with peep sights.
Originally Posted by zcm82
They're well beyond my pay grade in just about any condition, though, so I shall live vicariously with pictures on here.

Gee mine only ran me $635 or so a couple of years ago. Of course that was before I had it restored for ~$1700
I've not seen one under 8 in person, and it was absolutely beat. I'm not nearly deep pocked as most of you guys. The rebarrel on my EG wiped out my fun money for a while.
by 8 do you mean $800 or $8000?
$800, but it was in terrible shape.
I bought my 1895 round barrel in 1966 for about $55. Times have changed. I still have it. No, I don't want my money back. I was also driving a 1956 T-bird that I paid $1000 for. Times have changed
I've only seen a couple 95s in person. I paid $385+ shipping for my 1899A .303 a couple years ago and feel good about it overall, given it is in pretty decent shape. It's probably my favorite rifle now, and I doubt I'll ever part with it.

I'm not quite that old, but I do remember buying my first 30-30 for $90 in a pawn shop around 1999/2000... old Marlin model 30, plain as a white dishrag, but a good shooter. Wish I could have bought a dozen knowing what they sell for now. Same with those cardboard barrels full of Mosin-Nagants selling for $40-50 around the same time.
Times have changed and hindsight is 20-20. I would be rich if I had known 50 years ago what I know now.

Originally Posted by wyo1895
Times have changed and hindsight is 20-20. I would be rich if I had known 50 years ago what I know now.

We’d all be.
yep
We aren't rich?

LOL
rich in many ways except financial. Several of my friends came over yesterday and helped me work on the 34 Ford. That was very satisfying. Finding one of two known 99A 22 HP's last weekend was a rich experience. Getting the 1895 octagon barrel rifle was a rich experience. Hunting this Fall will be a rich experience. Looking at the Wind River Range of the Rocky Mountains from my house (or anywhere else around here) is a rich experience, especially when they are covered with snow. I can think of more but you get the idea.

Times have changed you talk about being rich in these changing times if you have your health

you are very rich what good is all this stuff if your so sick you can not enjoy it or your dead

think about it your health or more junk or do you just believe the one that dies with the most

toys wins
you are right Doug. I didn't think about my health being pretty good. Good enough that I can enjoy all my toys.
I have to agree with health being paramount to everything else. My parents never were concerned with their health and spent their last YEARS struggling. I have been very conscious of what I eat, where it comes from, and as such I grow my own food and try to eat organic. I have had several friends pass away due to "poor life choices".

Being a computer guy, the phrase "garbage in, garbage out" pretty much applies to everything in life.

Especially your body!

Blitz
Posted By: RAS Re: Santa came before we got back - 09/28/21
My round barrel 1895 isn’t that far from yours David.
cool! the only thing I hate about letting my other ocatagon barrel go is that it has a really low serial #. 5162
I think you mean an early production serial number. wink
yes, early production serial number since around 3000 to roughly 5000 were produced later.
Serial numbers starting at 5000 were the first ones delivered to Savage, yes. Though smack dab in the middle of the overall serial number range.
we will never know why they did that.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
we will never know why they did that.

Never say never..... smile
© 24hourcampfire