Home
Posted By: Mrhp 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/02/21
Anyone have a mannlicher forend for a 99 or know of any for sale. Thanks!
Posted By: iskra Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/02/21
I've actually seen 'em... In half century plus, collecting! smile Nifty idea seems to me. If there are more Savage 99s out there, such adorned, I'd sure enjoy viewing them. That said, not to hijack this thread.
I assume you're not being more specific as to rifle sub-model, etc, figuring just to locate one and then determining if something you can work with. Not like a lineup to choose from!
Good luck on what appears pretty rare custom edition stuff!
Best!
John
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/02/21
Good luck! I too have been searching for a custom 99 with a nice Mannlicher stock. I've never seen one in person, but jave seen a few photos. Very cool look.....
Again, good luck
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/02/21
Wenig will probably make one for you.
Posted By: Mrhp Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/03/21
I am considering building one, possibly on a takedown. Not sure yet. Gauging forend availability at this time. Sure would like to find one.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/03/21
I don’t know why there would be any to find. They’re going to be custom made, so you’re hoping somebody started a customization and didn’t finish it. Might happen that somebody runs across one, but probably very unlikely.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/03/21
som one was selling Mannlicher forarms for 99's on ebay a number of years ago. Probably some still around. Savage did a prototype with a Mannlicher forearm in the 1970's. There will be pics of it in my new book.
Posted By: ctw Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/03/21
The ebay seller was gungarage at one time I reached out to him and he provided contact info for the maker maybe try messaging him there. I probably have the info but lord only knows where.
Posted By: JeffG Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by Mrhp
I am considering building one, possibly on a takedown. Not sure yet. Gauging forend availability at this time. Sure would like to find one.

~Good for You, always start with what You want, and plan back from there. Getting the wood made is pretty easy, what about a metal front-end cap? barrel band? front sight change? those metal pieces would be harder to come by, not to mention the takedown latch hardware.
Posted By: JeffG Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/03/21
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/03/21
JeffG, I love that rifle!
Originally Posted by JeffG
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

That’s what I am after. I have a donor take down in 300 already. I heard somebody had sold forend, but had no idea who. I’ll do some digging and see what I can find.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I don’t know why there would be any to find. They’re going to be custom made, so you’re hoping somebody started a customization and didn’t finish it. Might happen that somebody runs across one, but probably very unlikely.

As I knew some had been manufactured, that’s why I am looking. Pretty simple.
Ah, hadn’t known somebody was selling on eBay. If you find one, hope it’s a good match for the buttstock.
You and me both!
Posted By: texken Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/03/21
I saw one at a San Antonio gun show, several years ago, did not know to buy. If I remember it was done nicely
Fell in love with this one a bit when I saw it.. Checkering definitely doesn't hurt it.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]
Is that one yours? Looks beautiful.
I wish. No, I've forgotten who had that. It was at Jed's SavageFest in 2007. Somebody will remember whose it is.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/04/21
There's nothing clubbier looking than a poorly done full length stock. For Pete's sake slim it as much as you dare, and then take the rasp to it and make it thinner. Be sure also to employ a subtle reverse camber to the stock line or else it'll just look like a skinny 2x4. Look closely at a 100 year old Mannlicher-Schoenauer and you'll see what I mean about the reverse camber.

Strictly speaking, they are full length stocks (called stutzens in Eastern Europe), most commonly seen on Mannlicher-Schoenauers imported here "back in the day", but employed on many other guns indigenous to Europe. Because the M-S was the most common example by far here in America, we Americans naturally started calling every full length stock a "Mannlicher". Further proof of Americans not informing themselves and carrying mis-guided application of erroneous terms into the common vernacular. We are a curious lot.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/04/21
I've been accused of being misinformed.

I know, nuts, right?
Posted By: Mrhp Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/04/21
I was aware Mannlicher was an incorrect term, but I figured most would know what I was referring to. Thanks for the lesson.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/04/21
Don't even CONSIDER common sense...........................If you ain't a wordsmith, you ain't nuttin.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/04/21
Go on ahead, but if someone doesn't point out incorrect word usage it takes hold and spreads - and we all (and our language) suffers. Perhaps I'm the only person who never fell asleep in school - particularly English classes. Sometimes I wonder...
Posted By: brucebruce Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
If that gun was at Jed's it was made most likely by by Charl[y Yellet He used to Gunsmith for griffen and Howe and lives in North Hudson. He was doing them during the time period
Posted By: ctw Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
yep to me full length stock says Mannlicher correct or knot.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
There's nothing clubbier looking than a poorly done full length stock. For Pete's sake slim it as much as you dare, and then take the rasp to it and make it thinner. Be sure also to employ a subtle reverse camber to the stock line or else it'll just look like a skinny 2x4. Look closely at a 100 year old Mannlicher-Schoenauer and you'll see what I mean about the reverse camber.

Strictly speaking, they are full length stocks (called stutzens in Eastern Europe), most commonly seen on Mannlicher-Schoenauers imported here "back in the day", but employed on many other guns indigenous to Europe. Because the M-S was the most common example by far here in America, we Americans naturally started calling every full length stock a "Mannlicher". Further proof of Americans not informing themselves and carrying mis-guided application of erroneous terms into the common vernacular. We are a curious lot.

How about referring to them as "mannlicher-style" stocks?

I don't recall Mossberg, Remington, Ruger, Savage, or Winchester referring to rifles with full-length stocks that they have cataloged as "stutzens".

IIRC, Zastava referred to their M70s and M85s with full-length stocks as "mannlichers" in the English language catalog that I saw back in 2013/2014. I don't know how they referred to those.same rifle in catalogs that were printed in other languages for the European market, but they probably called them whatever the target audience commonly called them.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
That would work. The rot started long before you and I were born - a million wrongs don't make a right!
It would seem in this modern world that nobody, but nobody, gives a hoot about the origin of words we use in our common vernacular.
That would work. The rot started long before you and I were born - a million wrongs don't make a right!

There is a lot of wrong information floating around that many people accept as the gospel. Moses and the stone tablets or Joe Smith and the golden plates. Nobody but Mo and Joe ever saw them, but hundreds of millions of people believe in them.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21

Who cares?
Posted By: 99guy Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
Is a baloney sandwich really a baloney sandwich?
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by 99guy
Is a baloney sandwich really a baloney sandwich?

laugh laugh laugh bologna....................Oscar Mayer says so.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
Dammit, now I'm hungry.........
Posted By: Mrhp Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
I prefer a fried bologna sammich.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Who cares?

Therein lies the problem. Nobody cares anymore, and we are all the losers in the long run.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
Black-peppered Spam you heathens!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Who cares?

Therein lies the problem. Nobody cares anymore, and we are all the losers in the long run.

If grammar policing is important... grin

Have a 99!

https://www.icollector.com/SAVAGE-MODEL-99-CALIBER-358-WIN_i29275635
[Linked Image from dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net]
Yuck-o. Precisely what I was spouting off about re: 2x4 shaped full length fore arms.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
Just held up a straight edge.. there's a slight concave curve to the bottom of the forearm. But could use some more, I do agree there.
Posted By: JeffG Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
..."yuck-o"?

Score 1 take-down for Gnoahh!!

How about Ken Water's custom 99 in 7-30W with the full length forearm? Anyone have (a clue where that's gotten off too? or,) a picture of the stock shape?
Posted By: texken Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by ctw

yep...clip or mag
Posted By: iskra Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
WOW! Beginning with Jeff's 'masterwork'. From the overall presentation, to the details. in forend cap treatment to the euro-loop sling. Beautifully/tastefully done. Kudos for owning!

I do especially agree particularly with Mr. G's statement just above. Re what I term "clunky" Mannlicher styling. I have a factory Sako Mk IV, with just such presentation. Foreend too heavy! Disproportionate to the essence of such styling!

I have a small variety of "Stutzen" models, indeed a German term, employed Kaiser era forward! My own consecutive serial number pair of Oberndorf Mauser Model "M" Stutzen" rifles from "Guns of August", 1914 era! I'm also with such type Mannlicher Schönauer rifles; Brno rifles and various milsurps. Including particularly an 1898 Krag which came off pretty well! Amazingly! smile I prefer the term "Mannlicher" or simply "full stock" generic application as considerably more universally understood. Stutzen term far less known!

The point well taken that having the 'stick of wood', one matter. The required 'accoutrements', quite another! Pricey and then of course for folks the like of me, required to hire artisan labor to complete... Factually, a quite expensive proposition. IF I were to have such Mannlicher styling accomplished, my Savage specimen dedicated would likely be a straight lever model rather than arched grip. Kudos to Calhoun & his specimen in that context... Right on! Such type, my own proclivity! For me, any such by now in life, to remain another Walter Mitty concept! Of my dreams! smile

Thanks for this Thread Mr. M! Despite the "lust fest" you've engendered! smile ! "Interesting to discuss, 'well seasoned' with illustrations and 'provocative' to contemplate!!
Best!
John

Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by texken
Originally Posted by ctw

yep...clip or mag

Caliber Vs. cartridge.

Guage or gauge - one of my pet peeves.

Tipoff Vs. pivot mounts - another hot button.

Ad infinitum...
Posted By: JeffG Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/05/21
note: that the full-length forearm in Calhoun's picture has a nice delicate schnable (no metal end cap), that forearm looks to have very pleasing proportions, along with the creative checkering pattern... And let's not forget that all these rifles have short barrels too, sitting in their full-length forearms!
If anybody is interested, Simpson's has a nice looking Husqvarna 1640 in 30-06 with a full-length stock.

Also a 1640 in 6.5x55 with a full-length stock that has a few issues.

Also a 24 in 22M/20 for $450 among the Savages.

They appear to have sold a 24V in 22HP over 20 gauge, their part number Z48278. Hard to believe it is factory specs, maybe a rechambered 22 Hornet, or 222, or 223?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Tipoff Vs. pivot mounts - another hot button.

Ad infinitum...

We had some fun with that one back in the day! LOL
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/06/21
Add to the list: furniture, which is the stuff attached to the gunstock not the stock itself.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/06/21
Add to the list: furniture, which is the stuff attached to the gunstock not the stock itself.

I have a wooden rocking chair that disagrees with that statement. grin
Posted By: johnsavage Re: 99 Savage mannlicher - 10/06/21
Calhoun, does your rocking chair tip off a pivot? :-))

I would suggest that spoken language is and has always been mutable. Old words are forgotten and other words, new by denotation or connotation, supplant the old. Written language must eventually follow. I must admit that I am amused when someone says “I am nauseous” which in my day (long ago!) meant “sickening” as opposed to “nauseated” (sickened), although both have become simple adjectives at present.
© 24hourcampfire