Home
Hello all:

I usually ask this every year, but what rifle are you going to use to hunt this year? It can be more than one, and for any kind of hunt. The only caveat is that you include pictures of the rifle or rifles. I am undecided right now but should have something figured out in the next few days. Once I do, I’ll provide pictures as well. Looking forward to see what everyone’s gonna be using. Hopefully we will see them again on this years Kill Page.

If you want to do your shotgun, show that as well.

RAS

Still undecided on this one Ras. Thought about using my 303SRC but i just picked up a 30-30T at the Rendezvous. Also thought about me and the boys going all 300’s. Decisions Decisions.
I will be taking my 99 F in 300 Savage along to the Catskills in November. It has an old 2-1/2x Weaver on top. The old scope looks right on that old Savage from the first year of "F" manufacture.

I bought the rifle from a 94 year old friend who bought it new. He took his biggest buck with it.
The 99F in 300 Sav goes every November. The 1899C in 303 Sav is this year's back up. Circa 1900.

The 9478 in 20 ga is the only shotgun I carry in the turkey woods.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

35 Rem EG
The plan is to start with Randy’s 1919 250. Then my old friend, 7X57Steve’s, Ruger #3 in 25-35. All plans subject to change without further notice.
You can tell a lot about these types of threads. Every year it seems that the later F model seems to be the favorite. Not by a big amount, but the favorite. The EG is up there to, but there are thousands of them. Nothing against the EG, I am leaning on either a Pre War checkered EG in 300 or a Salesman Sample in 303. My 99C in 284 is always in the running.
If I go for a third deer with a rifle that moves the 1928 K into the rotation.
Anything with 284 in the title is a good choice.
This year, Savage 99C in 450 Bushmaster. Our season in South Texas opens November 6th, can't wait.
I think i might try the model 14 in 250 savage this yr, 1950’s R in 300 is on deck after that.
I think I'll go with this one this year:
Moose on Saturday morning. Winchester model 70 .338 Win Mag. laugh
I have a new to me 284, couple 358’s to use this year. I’m gonna wack some piggies with a new to me 32-40 made in 1908 or 09.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]what time does chase bank open

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]arvest bank atm

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]td bank atm locations
Ruger 1A 6.5x55, with either M1920/26 .250-3000 or 1919-vintage M1899 .250-3000 riding shotgun.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Looks like it just came off the showroom floor.
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

Yep, it's that clean!
already killed an antelope with the switch barrel 99G and the 250-3000 barrel. top pic
The 75th anniversary is read to go for elk and maybe buffalo.
[Linked Image]
I plan to take the 1956 99F 300. It has not been in the stand yet (at least not with me). It has a Weaver KV with post reticle on Weaver tip-off mount. If if wind dies down and does not rain, I plan to zero the scope and open sights later today.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Did you draw a bull tag?
I picked up a 1936 99EG 300 this Spring. It seems to live the Remington 150 grain stuff very well. I would not be surprised it takes a deer or two this season.
Originally Posted by 99guy

Did you draw a bull tag?

Yes Actually its my wife's tag. I am only back up. There were only 40 tags offered in the whole state. ALL are either sex tags.
Time to stir the pot a little. Im hunting with a 300 savage but not just any 300 savage. Shes from 1947( barrel is dated 46) and its a bolt action. Any guesses?? An all original model 70 winchester in 300 savage with a fixed 6x Leupold on her. She shoots a bullseye at 50 yds and at 100 yds with Remington factory 150s. My wifes gift to me for my 50th birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary. Hoping to shoot a buck or doe with her then she gets cleaned and buried in my safe. And yes im carrying it in a case to the blind that has a roof on it.
Thinking, Henry 45-70 the 1st few days than my old 22HP H after that! It depends on what I might get during bow season Too!
Probably the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight that should be arriving tomorrow - a 1952 .308 that will be wearing a Leupold 2x7.

Looking for a modern after market stock, a classic 6X scope and period bases and rings to mount on the rifle. It's my first pre 64 M70. Gotta see what these storied rifles can do with modern ammo and powders.

The 300 Savage is the parent cartridge...
For the general deer season in Pa. I'll probably alternate between a Kimber 84L Classic in 30-06 that followed me home earlier this year and the 358 Brush Gun. Crappy weather rifle will be the Ruger 77 that has a Boyd's laminate stock and Bushnell Elite with Rainguard on it. Also have a flintlock for the muzzleloader seasons.

PS, need to try and figure this photo thing out one of these days.

Dale
REM 722 300 sav
Originally Posted by 99guy

Did you draw a bull tag?

. There were only 40 tags offered in the whole state.

That's 40 more tags than Virginia gave out this year. laugh

Will she be toting the 338?
Being in the bottom half of Michigan's lower peninsula I can't use a centerfire rifle. The Savage 220 bolt action 20 gage get the call. Damm thing is so accurate it would make Roy proud! wink grin Haven't had to adjust the scope in 7 years. Great gun.
i have to say i have been blessed to have a lot of cool old guns i hunt with. but i do get out with the model 8s and 81 a few times a year. this is my early model [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]81 in 35 rem. it was made in1938 and still works,,,,,,,,,,,,,

86 Winchester 33 Cal first then a Evans 44 short

Remington 700’s, first year Classic and a Ti, both 270’s
Originally Posted by FUG1899

YOU are the man
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
Time to stir the pot a little. Im hunting with a 300 savage but not just any 300 savage. Shes from 1947( barrel is dated 46) and its a bolt action. Any guesses?? An all original model 70 winchester in 300 savage with a fixed 6x Leupold on her. She shoots a bullseye at 50 yds and at 100 yds with Remington factory 150s. My wifes gift to me for my 50th birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary. Hoping to shoot a buck or doe with her then she gets cleaned and buried in my safe. And yes im carrying it in a case to the blind that has a roof on it.

That's really cool. I have an all original 1949 Model 70 with Balvar scope that only goes out for easy walks on perfect days. But it's a 30-06.
I'm going with a '47 EG in 300 Savage to start ..........Second up will be a '36 M71 in my favorite caliber 348 Win ...........They may trade places.....We'll find out soon enough
As far as 99s go, the .22-250 (new to me), .303 and .375 will all likely get carried at least once. Might try to get the 24V .357 Maximum/20ga into the woods as well.
Heading to Maine in a couple weeks, 7 guys, there will be over 20 guns I'm sure. There will be several 99's, mine will be a 1926 EG 303, now that I have the Lightfoot mount. I'm also bringing my Marlin 375, and my Krieghof Drilling, couple handguns yet to be chosen. Its always a big show & tell.
Sure is fun to see and read about some cool old rifles. Thanks to Jeff for this thread and to those who have shared.
That’s mostly a weather dependent answer for me.
First up this season was the 48 EG in .300.
EG looking for a Blacktail.
But, if the weather is snotty and I need to put in the miles on foot or quad, I’ll will for sure carry “ Killer “ my Kimber 6.5 CM. It’s much lighter and impervious to the weather.
Killer in its original stock.
I’ll be sporting the ‘56 300F with leupold varix1 2-7, and on the “vintage” hunt day at out camp I’ll be toting my new 99T 300 sav, really hope to make a kill with it!!!
Originally Posted by RAS
Hello all:

I usually ask this every year, but what rifle are you going to use to hunt this year? It can be more than one, and for any kind of hunt. The only caveat is that you include pictures of the rifle or rifles. I am undecided right now but should have something figured out in the next few days. Once I do, I’ll provide pictures as well. Looking forward to see what everyone’s gonna be using. Hopefully we will see them again on this years Kill Page.

RAS

I see a disturbing lack of pictures...
[img]https://i.imgur.com/yhaItrbl.jpg?1[/img]

and its carrying case:

I don't know why the image of the .250-3000 won't load. Just click on the link. 1918-1919 vintage M1899 .250-3000, second variation. I'm essentially the third owner.
Sweet...

Thanks, Rory.
Two handsome rifles.

Is the top rifle the 6.5x55?
Yep. You saw it at Joe's Shangri-La.
Very nice Gary, I have a change in my line up swaped my 45-70 for a Ruger #3 chambered in 375 JDJ also has a Manchester stock. Someone dumped alot into this one! Wish I could post a picture.
Took my 58 Hawken for a walk again this year. Keeps working fine.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
That is a darn good mulie. Nice job.
Originally Posted by damnesia
Originally Posted by RAS
Hello all:

RAS

I see a disturbing lack of pictures...

Ratz, I'll see if I can find some. First is Randy's 1919 250 with just a tad of condition. I think it might be the nicest 1899 I have. Then comes Steve's custom, one off Ruger #3 in 25-35. I think the scope is just posing for the shot, so if it doesn't look right, that's why. it is mounted now and is very accurate. Last is the 1928 K, in 300, with a Noske scope. I have no problem hunting the K, it's already been defiled with a side mount.

That's a nice battery JOe!

I'm gong to Use EvilTwins' tactics
My plan is to scare one to death...!

[Linked Image]

...if that doesn't work I'll probably carry my 'new for this season' 375 EG!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JeffG
That's a nice battery JOe!

I'm gong to Use EvilTwins' tactics
My plan is to scare one to death...!

[Linked Image]

...if that doesn't work I'll probably carry my 'new for this season' 375 EG!
[Linked Image]

I think you should cut that big burl off the tree behind you and turn it into a 99 stock. That way if it cracks behind the tang, the crack will go round and round the stock, and where it stops, nobody knows?
For John

.[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
What's that Jim??
Ruger #3 in 375JDJ.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Anything with 284 in the title is a good choice.

284 gets it done on a blacktail again. The shot was only 110 yards so any of them would have got it done this time, but the 284 is also good at 450 yards w/o going back to the truck to grab a different rifle. Story is in the 2020-2021 Savage kill thread.

Nice work fellas!

Very nice Ruger, Saddlering! Envious here!

Jeff, you scared me, let alone the deer!!
Roy, my field in WV is right at 300 yards, to shoot it at 450, can you get that 284 to make a right angle turn down and then level back out when it gets to the bottom?
does it count "if I could" would be a .303 CD 16578

Finally got a lineup.

Savage 99EG Salesman Sample in 303 Savage. Stith with Weaver scope.

Savage 16 in 308 Win with Leupold VX3 2.5-8.

Ruger 44 Mag pistol with red dot.
Originally Posted by RAS

Finally got a lineup.

Savage 99EG Salesman Sample in 303 Savage. Stith with Weaver scope.

Savage 116 in 308 Win with Leupold VX3 2.5-8.

Ruger 44 Mag pistol with red dot.

Nice.
Maybe my ER Shaw in 35Rem,700 Mountain 280Rem,700Ti 300SAUM Model 70XTR sporter 6.5 Swede or........[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Yesterday I shot couple candidates. Salesman Sample in 300 Savage with Weaver J2.5 which is my most recent acquisition. At 50 yards very deer ready but scope with fine, fine crosshairs could be issue in low light. Second is Savage 170 in 30-30 I bought years ago as a deer gun but never took out. Also deer ready with more modern scope. So if weather nice the 300 and if weather marginal the 30-30.
Or another 1899 that catches my eye in next 18 days...
I'll be heading out from Florida in about 2 weeks for a month at deer camp in the Catskills. I'll be bringing a '59 99F in .250 and a '55 99F in .300, both with factory irons.

I'll have one of the Montanas along too, in case the weather gets wet.
I lied. The Winchester pre 64 M70 308 never even saw the light of day.

The workhorse is my collection of arms is a lowly Knight Wolverine LK - 93 with a 209 conversion topped off with a vintage Weaver K-3 scope. It filled the tag 15 minutes after I got on stand late this afternoon. Boring to some, but to a man awaiting surgery on both knees plus micro fracturing on the worst of the two, bearing with cortisone shots in both knees and one hip an easy peasy hunt 250 yards from the truck in heavy cover is a blessing. smile

Cheers!

PS. Now young grouser can concentrate on taking a trophy buck as the old man has already put venison in the freezer. cool
Olgrouser,

I have two LK-93s and both have the conversion kit. They are inexpensive but handy little killers!! Each one of mine gets 100 gr of pyrodex and a 245 gr Powerbelt aerotip (green).
Tony Knight changed the game for modern MZ hunting.

We shoot 110 gr Blackhorn 209 touched off by CCI magnum primers and Barnes 250gr MZs or TMZs as the point of impact. The rifles produce MOA accuracy if we do our part and the results downrange are simply devastating on thin skinned game in heavy cover. shocked
I use Kleanbore primers so I don’t get the crud ring.
© 24hourcampfire