Home
Posted By: damnesia 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
I've heard this before but looking through Rory's calendar ( March 2022 ) it has an ad for the "Six Shot Hammerless Sporting Rifle". I have been unable to put one in the chamber and five in the magazine. What's the trick?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
5 in the magazine and push down with #6 from the top while you close the bolt. Pushing down causes #5 to go under the bolt and it will catch #6 and load it.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21

No need for six unless you see and can take six in one group.GW wink grin
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
I usually only load four in mine as it is. Haven't run short yet.
I load 6 regularly. Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have it.

Unless I'm just transporting the rifle. Then I'll remove #6 and leave the chamber empty - but loaded rifles in vehicles is legal in Nebraska. Not true everywhere.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
Very not true here. Just having boxed ammo on a car seat next to a cased rifle can win you a chauffered trip to the crossbar hotel here 😬

On the bench I put 4 or 5 in mine for groups, and out in the field I normally just throw 3 in them. I'm after coyotes with mine though, so there's usually not even time for shot #2. I actually don't think I've even tried putting 6 into any of them, now that I think of it🤔 It's nice to know I could if I wanted to, though.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21

I load three, really don’t care if I shoot anything anymore.
Posted By: texken Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I load 6 regularly. Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have it.

Unless I'm just transporting the rifle. Then I'll remove #6 and leave the chamber empty - but loaded rifles in vehicles is legal in Nebraska. Not true everywhere.

in Texas, is legal to have loaded firearm in vehicle
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
Two down and one up the spout, my guarantee for flawless feeding. After the first shot the rest are pretty much just Hail Mary shots anyway. Yet another reason I'm gravitating toward single shots for hunting anymore. Of course, if you plan on holding off hordes of Chicom's in a human wave attack you might need the magazine full....
Posted By: JeffG Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
silly collectors, six is for kids...,

never heard of extended magazines?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 99guy Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
I put 5 in magazine and then close the chamber on the top one.

Why would you leave any extras in your pocket or pack if you have room for them in the gun?

Rooster Cogburn:
Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'.
If I need 6 to hit what I'm aiming at, it's time to go home. Odds are it won't be standing there after the first one anyway, unless it's really stupid 🤣
Posted By: hanco Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
Six would be handy pig hunting at times.

I dindnt know you could get six in one.
Posted By: damnesia Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
I shoot my rifles at targets way more often than at animals. 1 extra shot before reloading isn't a bad thing to me.
Posted By: 99guy Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
You guys that only need one shot in the gun crack me up.

It tells me you have limited experieince shooting at big game.

Unlike the controlled enviroment at the range where you always have a perfect rest and a clear unobstructed path to the target on pancake flat land with excellent light and holding the crosshairs deadon a 1" orange dot at an exact known range and poking holes in a paper target stapled to board.

That's all great fun and if you do it enough you can convince yourself that you are a really great shot and that consistantly hunting and killing and recovering big game with one shot is really easy..

I've seen bullets fail on big game on perfectly placed shots necisitating one or several more follow ups. Not to mention all the million other things that can go wrong in a hunting situation for even the most experieinced rifleman.

Now is the time everbody chimes in how many one shot kills they've recorded in a row. You aren't hunting the same game in the same places that I have been.
I've had to plug a few twice. I hunted with a single shot for a while, too. Legal mag cap here for deer is 2, so it's not a huge difference. Single shot was just too muzzle heavy for my taste.
If you've never needed to chase down a wounded deer, you probably don't understand why 6 is a good number.

If you've never had a wounded deer, you probably haven't hunted too long. It will happen, no matter how good you are.

Though I do know a number of guys who never realize they wounded a deer, because they think that if a deer runs away that they missed. Idjits.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
If you've never needed to chase down a wounded deer, you probably don't understand why 6 is a good number.

If you've never had a wounded deer, you probably haven't hunted too long. It will happen, no matter how good you are.

Though I do know a number of guys who never realize they wounded a deer, because they think that if a deer runs away that they missed. Idjits.

Lost my first one 4 years ago, it sucked... Ended up following it until it got across property lines onto some no hunting land (of which there is a lot of around my hunting spot) I just hope someone else wound up finishing it off.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
Nope. I can't tell you how many animals I've let pass in my life because I didn't have a clear easy shot. Killing isn't as important to me as with a lot of people, even when I was a kid. Never have I had to stick a deer twice because if I thought I might need to, I simply didn't shoot. Truth of the matter is I've killed more deer with muzzle loaders and single shots than any other type of gun. I really don't see the humor in that.....

When hunting with a single shot there's one up the spout. The spares are somewhere in one of my pockets. Ditto when I'm armed with a 99 - what isn't in the gun is somewhere in one of my pockets. I think.
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: 99 six shots? - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Two down and one up the spout, my guarantee for flawless feeding. After the first shot the rest are pretty much just Hail Mary shots anyway. Yet another reason I'm gravitating toward single shots for hunting anymore. Of course, if you plan on holding off hordes of Chicom's in a human wave attack you might need the magazine full....

False dichotomy.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 six shots? - 10/15/21
Oh?
Posted By: Hogeye Re: 99 six shots? - 10/15/21
Ben East wrote a story called "The Last Shot" in which he described grazing a polar bear with shot no. 1, missing the really angry, charging bear with nos. 2-4, and nailing it between the eyes at very close range with no. 5. Good thing he had a Savage 99 instead of a 4-shot magnum.

I have tried loading all six, and can do it by loading five, closing the bolt enough to hold them down, inserting the sixth round part-way into the chamber, and closing the bolt. If I ever hunt bear, I'll do it in the field.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 six shots? - 10/15/21
To quote Savage Arms...

Originally Posted by Savage Arms (1902)
THE RIFLE AS A SINGLE-LOADER.
The act of placing a cartridge into the Breech-Opening forces the Automatic Cut-off back into it's recess in the Receiver, retiring the uppermost cartridge in the magazine below the line of movement of the Breech-Bolt, so that only the cartridge in the breech-opening will be engaged by the breech-bolt on its forward travel.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: 99 six shots? - 10/16/21
I tend to see things as half empty. So, fill ‘er up, I says.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 99 six shots? - 10/16/21
Since the likelihood of me encountering a snarling mad bear, or irate Cape Buffalo, or mean spirited Leopard, the likelihood of needing a fist full of cartridges in a magazine is slim to none.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: 99 six shots? - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Ben East wrote a story called "The Last Shot" in which he described grazing a polar bear with shot no. 1, missing the really angry, charging bear with nos. 2-4, and nailing it between the eyes at very close range with no. 5. Good thing he had a Savage 99 instead of a 4-shot magnum.

I have tried loading all six, and can do it by loading five, closing the bolt enough to hold them down, inserting the sixth round part-way into the chamber, and closing the bolt. If I ever hunt bear, I'll do it in the field.

Instead of hunting bare, maybe hint with clothes on. You won't get so cold
See what I did there.......
Posted By: Hogeye Re: 99 six shots? - 10/16/21
You have to load the magazine if you hunt bare. No pockets
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: 99 six shots? - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Since the likelihood of me encountering a snarling mad bear, or irate Cape Buffalo, or mean spirited Leopard, the likelihood of needing a fist full of cartridges in a magazine is slim to none.

Still swinging at the ball and missing.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 99 six shots? - 10/17/21
We have to worry about wolves, grizzlies, black bear and mountain lions out here so I don't hunt with my Ruger #1's. Did I ever tell you guys about getting between a hidden momma mouse and her baby (he was in the open and I was angling toward him) while elk hunting one time? That could have gotten ugly. When I saw her I did an abrupt about face and beat feet. Fortunately she decided to drop the subject and she and baby left.
I do only load 5 in the 99's. Don't feel like fiddling with the 6th round when I get out of the truck. But I have 5 or 6 more in my pocket.
© 24hourcampfire