Home
Posted By: DanLee Mounting Red Dot On 99A - 10/19/21
I have a 99A chambered in .375 Winchester that has had a Williams peep sight for the last 20 years. Unfortunately, my eyes aren't what they used to be and I'd like to install a red dot. Is there a rail that will fit the scope holes on the receiver? If not, I'll just go ahead and install a riflescope as I have several mounts for that.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Mounting Red Dot On 99A - 10/19/21
Used to be some on ebay for about 60 bucks. Farrell makes one for about $125.
EGW makes a rail. I got mine off ebay.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Mounting Red Dot On 99A - 10/19/21
Am I missing something? Wouldn't a small red dot like the SIG Romeo5 (with the low mount installed) clamp to a # 19 Weaver front base? MidwayUSA has the #19 base for 4 bucks.
Originally Posted by carbon12
Am I missing something? Wouldn't a small red dot like the SIG Romeo5 (with the low mount installed) clamp to a # 19 Weaver front base? MidwayUSA has the #19 base for 4 bucks.

yes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: damnesia Re: Mounting Red Dot On 99A - 10/19/21
That looks better than I expected.
Posted By: JohnL Re: Mounting Red Dot On 99A - 10/19/21

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]

Fireball -
That is the sexiest dang thing I've seen in a while - yeah, I don't get out much - what model is that?
John
Originally Posted by JohnL

Fireball -
That is the sexiest dang thing I've seen in a while - yeah, I don't get out much - what model is that?
John

It's a 99-358 from circa 1980 that had an ugly straight grip stock and bulky fingergroove forearm. It had already been shortened when I bought it. I changed the lever to curved, fitted a 1950's buttstock and an early 99R forearm. It now wears a scope. Didn't like the Burris Fastfire III.
Posted By: DanLee Re: Mounting Red Dot On 99A - 10/19/21
That looks like something I had in mind without realizing one could clamp it to the mount. What was the problem with the Fastfire? I have one on a revolver and like it.
Originally Posted by DanLee
That looks like something I had in mind without realizing one could clamp it to the mount. What was the problem with the Fastfire? I have one on a revolver and like it.

Don't like the on/off button. Need it ready at all times. Like a scope.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Mounting Red Dot On 99A - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by DanLee

Don't like the on/off button. Need it ready at all times. Like a scope.

Maybe the Romeo 5 motion activated RD is something you could use.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Mounting Red Dot On 99A - 10/20/21
Maybe. I'm happy with it scoped for now.
Posted By: DanLee Re: Mounting Red Dot On 99A - 10/20/21
Aside from the on-off button issue, how was your experience shooting with the red dot? Accuracy? Most shots here in the Virginia woods are probably closer to 50 yards than 100, if that matters.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Mounting Red Dot On 99A - 10/20/21
Accuracy was ok, not as good as a scope of course.
© 24hourcampfire