Home
Posted By: svg250 Scope mount for 99 - 10/20/21
Just picked up another E in 300, to hunt with, I have a couple of one piece mounts, a refield and a burris. Ive not used the one piece before, are they alright or should i use a set of weavers? All info and opinions appreciated. Paul
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Scope mount for 99 - 10/20/21
I think I have a couple Leopoldo one piece mounts and like them.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Scope mount for 99 - 10/20/21
The one piece are just fine. In fact Weaver made some bad 2 piece mounts, so overall the 1 piece are probably safer.
Posted By: svg250 Re: Scope mount for 99 - 10/20/21
Calhoun, does the one piece make it harder to load, i held it where it would mount, and it looks like it might make it a little tighter to load unload
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Scope mount for 99 - 10/20/21
The major drawback to the 1 piece is the distance the front ring sets out over the barrel. The new short body scopes require extension rings to even fit. I do believe the 1 piece is a better mount though.

Loading impact is minimal in my experience.
Agree, I haven't had any problems with loading with a 1 piece mount in place.
Posted By: hanco Re: Scope mount for 99 - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by Calhoun
The one piece are just fine. In fact Weaver made some bad 2 piece mounts, so overall the 1 piece are probably safer.

What was bad about them? Thanks for all your help here!! I ask, because I use the Burris signature Zee rings, had to use the offset plastic inserts to get enough windage on two rifles. Both were mid fifties F models, a 243 and a 358
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Scope mount for 99 - 10/20/21
I prefer the 2 piece Weavers for the open ejection port and the weight savings, but I will concede that at times I have had to mix and match sets to gets proper mounting. There is some variation in the Weavers height. My favorite are the tip-overs, flip-overs, tip-off, pivoting, whatever you prefer to call them.
Yep.. some Weaver 1 piece came out with the wrong height, can't get them sighted in. I presume the new ones are fixed, and that Weaver would replace them if you get a bad one? But it still ends up being a hassle. Most of my Weaver 1 piece are older sets I pick up at gun shows or sitting gathering dust at gun stores, never had problems with older ones.
Posted By: texken Re: Scope mount for 99 - 10/20/21
the last set of weaver 2pc were pos, finally had to get another set.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Scope mount for 99 - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
The major drawback to the 1 piece is the distance the front ring sets out over the barrel. The new short body scopes require extension rings to even fit. I do believe the 1 piece is a better mount though..

This^^^^^ I had to do exactly that to get proper eye relief.

I like the one piece windage adjustable mounts on all my rifles.....never a problem.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Scope mount for 99 - 10/21/21
I had a one piece Leupold on a 358 Brush Gun, I could never keep the rear ring tight on the base. Finally gave up on them, put on a set of Weavers and have never had a problem since.

While it's a small amount, there is additional loading clearance with the 2 piece bases. To me, that is important because I do a lot of loading/unloading when doing deer drives. The extra space also helps when you are wearing gloves.

My $0.02

Dale
© 24hourcampfire